2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Time for new tires...what's everyone got?

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/13, 10:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for new tires...what's everyone got?

I'm on my second set of stock Pirelli's with 111K on the clock and not sure if I want to stick with them for a 3rd time around..been checking out others and all have mixed reviews. I don't pound on the car so I try and get the maximum tread life out of them and rotate them on schedule. The comfort level has gone to hell because I'm almost down to the wear bars on the tires..does anyone have a more comfortable tire that is comparable to the Pirelli's? Or should I just stick with them? I never had a problem with them but they're a bit pricey. Any input would be cool...thanks!!
Old 4/15/13, 10:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneCoolGT
I'm on my second set of stock Pirelli's with 111K on the clock and not sure if I want to stick with them for a 3rd time around..been checking out others and all have mixed reviews. I don't pound on the car so I try and get the maximum tread life out of them and rotate them on schedule. The comfort level has gone to hell because I'm almost down to the wear bars on the tires..does anyone have a more comfortable tire that is comparable to the Pirelli's? Or should I just stick with them? I never had a problem with them but they're a bit pricey. Any input would be cool...thanks!!
I would like to know as we'll people's opinions... I have some Capitol tire the dealer put on and they are absolute junk IMO..
Old 4/15/13, 11:16 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I have Continental Extreme Contact DW max performance summer tires. Handles great, price is good, amazing tread life, 340 treadwear rating...for a summer performance tire! Good luck!

Old 4/16/13, 05:19 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is what I run.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Ventus+R-S3
Old 4/16/13, 07:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Also still running Pirelli's, but am considering going to Goodyear Eagles next time around. Thought about some BFG's, but they may have too much sidewall flex for me.
Old 4/16/13, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
there is a sticky around here for tires. Are you looking for a summer tire or would you need all seasons?
Old 4/16/13, 09:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
there is a sticky around here for tires. Are you looking for a summer tire or would you need all seasons?
I'm looking for all seasons, that's why I'm considering sticking with the Pirelli's. I drive mine all year round..
Old 4/16/13, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Couple months ago I bought the Cooper rs3-A. Very nice tire. 40k mile rated, very quiet, and handle well. Check out the S version if you're not concerned with all season an driving in bad conditions. Plus they are not pricey at all.
Old 4/16/13, 01:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

How about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires? My brother has them on his Subaru Legacy and he recommends them.
Old 4/16/13, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Cooper
Zeon
RS3
-As for all season, no -A for summer only.

Do it. You won't be unhappy.
Old 4/16/13, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
there is a sticky around here for tires.
Yup

https://themustangsource.com/f657/mu...sticky-517216/
Old 4/17/13, 07:44 PM

I replaced my Pirellis with Kuhmo 4X's,they were designed by Kuhmo to be oem replacements for the Pirellis, while increasing ride quality and all weather performance, they ran me $120 each, I'm very happy with them
Old 4/17/13, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I tried the Cooper RS3-S and thought they looked completely off on my GT. My car is pretty stock looking, which I like, and the Coopers just looked almost like a drag radial to me. They were very big and bulged out quite a bit, which I thought looked awful. Didn't like the sidewall design at all. They look great on the Roush Mustangs, but not on a stock GT with 17" wheels IMO. Traded them in for the stock P-Zero Nero AS's which I think look perfect on the car. The Cooper definitely performed better, but for a daily driver, it makes no difference to me. I'm not racing the car or driving on winding canyon roads everyday, so the Pirelli's are more than good enough for me.
Old 4/17/13, 10:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by OneCoolGT

I'm looking for all seasons, that's why I'm considering sticking with the Pirelli's. I drive mine all year round..
I really like the Continwntal DWS. Great in rain, standing water & not too bad in the snow either.
Old 4/17/13, 10:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
All that said though, I just ordered some Nitto Invos for our 20" wheels. Rated as high as the DWS. I'll let you know after I've had them a while.
Old 4/18/13, 04:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've run the BFG KDW's which sucked in the rain, g-Force Super Sports which sucked in the rain even more and now running DWS' and don't suck in the rain. Love this tire. Quiet, great grip in dry and wet. I got it based on recommendation from users on this forum.
Old 4/20/13, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Old 4/21/13, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PC07VistaBlueGT
I replaced my Pirellis with Kuhmo 4X's,they were designed by Kuhmo to be oem replacements for the Pirellis, while increasing ride quality and all weather performance, they ran me $120 each, I'm very happy with them
I also have the Kuhmo 4X's and they have been really good. After 60K of highway miles they are ready to go. I would say I got my moneys worth. Good dry traction good wet. Snow was ok. They are good in all areas but don't really excel in any one. Hope that helps.
Old 4/23/13, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

General G-max AS-03.. here's my little review I posted a while back.

https://themustangsource.com/f637/mi...-tires-512293/
Old 4/23/13, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by mrp5150
I tried the Cooper RS3-S and thought they looked completely off on my GT. My car is pretty stock looking, which I like, and the Coopers just looked almost like a drag radial to me. They were very big and bulged out quite a bit, which I thought looked awful. Didn't like the sidewall design at all. They look great on the Roush Mustangs, but not on a stock GT with 17" wheels IMO. Traded them in for the stock P-Zero Nero AS's which I think look perfect on the car. The Cooper definitely performed better, but for a daily driver, it makes no difference to me. I'm not racing the car or driving on winding canyon roads everyday, so the Pirelli's are more than good enough for me.
Now, I kinda agree with the -Ss. The -As are a better looking tire than the Ss are, I think, and I love 'em on my 17" Bullitt rims. They have a slightly bulge-ier (word?) sidewall, yes, but I think the tread and the stance with them on vs the Pirellis are just... NICE.

But that's me. E'rybody's different, after all.

However, I never really go for looks, to be honest. I go for the best performance tires. If they were hot pink, I'd still run 'em, and I'd just dye them black, if they held in the rain and such better than anything else I've used... which they have, so far. (All seasons, of course. Can't say as I'll ever run a summer on mine, too rainy, too DD.)

/Yeah, Cooper fanboi here. For a good reason I think.
//I'll shut up 'bout 'em now...

Last edited by houtex; 4/23/13 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Time for new tires...what's everyone got?