I have SOME throttle lag, and drive a MANUAL
31.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle Lag??

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/06, 06:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have throttle lag even after the tune/cai . Hopefully a supercharger will cure it for good
Old 12/31/06, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's something that I thought was a joke. I read it in this forum but, can't find the link. I gave it a try just before covering the car up tonight. I noticed that the rev was instant (without lag) but, had a bit of popping from the exhaust on the way down.

I'll let you know, if it worked, when I get back from a Sunday drive tomorrow.
turn off key
Old 12/31/06, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glenn_GT07CS
Here's something that I thought was a joke. I read it in this forum but, can't find the link. I gave it a try just before covering the car up tonight. I noticed that the rev was instant (without lag) but, had a bit of popping from the exhaust on the way down.

turn off key
Old 12/31/06, 03:46 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I noticed today when I stopped at a stop sign and started from 2'nd gear it seemed like it took for ever to get goin.... kind of annoying
Old 1/2/07, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

turn off key
I did not make much of a difference to me. I found this in an earlier post as well. It was worth a try. Now, I am waiting for my tuner from Brenspeed to arrive this week. Then we will see if the lag goes away.
Old 1/2/07, 06:51 PM
GT Member

I didnt think the throttle lag was too bad on my '06 GT auto until I drove it with one of Doug's tunes. The difference is amazing. Also what he does for the auto makes the car shift and feel like a different car.
Old 1/2/07, 08:10 PM
GTR Member

you could start off with a throttle body spacer and then add a tune if you wanted
Old 1/2/07, 10:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

These poll results are very interesting. It seems that most people either don't have bad lag, or don't notice it as much. I wonder if it is because the cars are different, or if the people just don't notice it as much...interesting.
Old 1/2/07, 11:42 PM

Nope... it didn't do anything noticable. Actually, now I'm starting to notice a dip in acceleration. In 1st and 2nd, it feels like the car is being held back; it doesn't open up like it did before. Am I getting used to it and want/need more?... Does this mean that I'm gonna have to get a tune kit too?!

turn off key
Old 1/2/07, 11:46 PM

Curious... when you are in neutral and you rev the engine, does the exhaust pop a few times, when you let off of the gas? I'm curious about before and after the tune.

Originally Posted by mtchstng
I didnt think the throttle lag was too bad on my '06 GT auto until I drove it with one of Doug's tunes. The difference is amazing. Also what he does for the auto makes the car shift and feel like a different car.
Old 1/3/07, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Curious... when you are in neutral and you rev the engine, does the exhaust pop a few times, when you let off of the gas? I'm curious about before and after the tune.
It does not do this on my GT, but it does "cough" a little. When I'm backing up the Stang and open my door to check my tire position, I can hear the STOCK exhaust (manual transmission) actually GURGLE! But when I rev it in neutral it does not pop like most off-road X/H-pipe setups. This is with a 110% bone stock manual GT (ok, not 110%... I have the splash guards, headlight film, seat covers, etc... LOL)
Old 1/3/07, 04:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

BTW, theedge67 - I think the "lag" I experienced while tipping in the throttle isn't actually lag, but possibly tip-in torque reduction. I do experience the throttle delay where if you let off the gas, it continues to rev the engine for about a split second.
Old 1/3/07, 09:50 PM

I told my dealer that my engine was acting as if it was still cold, when accelerating. The service guy suggested that I fill-up with higher octane to see if the problem clears-up. I'm wondering if my last fill-up had bad gas since I just noticed the popping since the last fill-up. Hopefully that's what the problem was!

Originally Posted by metroplex
It does not do this on my GT, but it does "cough" a little. When I'm backing up the Stang and open my door to check my tire position, I can hear the STOCK exhaust (manual transmission) actually GURGLE! But when I rev it in neutral it does not pop like most off-road X/H-pipe setups. This is with a 110% bone stock manual GT (ok, not 110%... I have the splash guards, headlight film, seat covers, etc... LOL)
Old 1/5/07, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wjones14
The throttle lag in mine is most noticeable when I'm downshifting and try to blip the throttle in-between gears. The first blip usually does nothing - it takes two blips.

When I step on the gas hard to accelerate, there's very little or no lag. Actually, aside from trying to keep the revs up when downshifting, I don't really notice any throttle lag.

But, opposite of throttle lag, the other annoying thing about the drive-by-wire system is when I let off on the throttle in the lower gears, there's a second or two hesitation before the car actually starts to decelerate. That annoys me as much or more than the throttle lag because I have to apply the brakes when I shouldn't need to.
Your third paragraph is what I experience because sometimes I'm upon a slowpokes bumper after leaving a stoplight. Instead of letting off the gas to compensate (like I do in my Z24) I have to go for the brakes. At the same time my first time riders go for the imaginary brake.I still have yet to experience this throttle lag. I guess after driving my big truck and Z24 all week, it's nice to drive something fast that I just don't notice.
Old 1/14/07, 07:57 PM

What about pedal trave? You have to depress the pdeal down maybe 1/2 inches before you get a response. That not a problem if you want quick acceleration but what if you want to move slowly from a parking space. Has anyone been anoyed by the travel the pedal has to go before the engine responds?
Old 1/14/07, 08:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Larrybia
What about pedal trave? You have to depress the pdeal down maybe 1/2 inches before you get a response. That not a problem if you want quick acceleration but what if you want to move slowly from a parking space. Has anyone been anoyed by the travel the pedal has to go before the engine responds?
YES. I really hate that . I've stalled out the Stang at stop signs and lights a few times because I gently tipped in the throttle instead of mashing down the gas while slipping the clutch I wish the new Stangs had cable throttles because the sensitivity is much better. So far everyone I know that has test driven a 05-up GT for the first time, has disliked the feel of the stock throttle.
Old 1/16/07, 06:36 AM

Has anyone tried to physically modify the pedal travel sensor? I tried mechanically adjusting out the travel that did not cause the engine to increase RPM, but this screwed up the idle speed. I am now considering buying a second pedal travel sensor, determining the profile of the resistance versus travel (engine RPM) and changing that. I suspect that the resistance curve is linear from 0 to max ohms with either the 0 or max being idle position. My objective would be to change the slope from idle to about 1200 RPM so just touching the pedal makes the engine RPM increase. I will adjust the slope of this section so the “Fly by Wire” system feels like a cable system. Any Comments?
Old 1/16/07, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

I think we all have different ideas of "lag". See my past V6 was my first Mustang. I have never drove another sports car to compare it to. Though it is deff. not the case for some of us, in fact most on here have driven many Mustangs. I think this mix of owners will lead to the poll results shown here. basically there probably is lag to some degree but the average person is not likely to notice any lag as it's still a **** load more responsive then any sedan .
Old 1/16/07, 08:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The 300 hp GT has the pedal sensitivity of a 50 hp Yugo.
Old 6/11/07, 06:18 PM

Ive driven my 93 LX for so long that when i got my 07 GT 2 weeks ago i can definitely feel this lag that most people describe [I have gotten a wee bit used to it].I would love to eliminate it so it has the same throttle response as my 93

Quick Reply: Throttle Lag??