31.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle Lag??

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/06, 05:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Throttle Lag??

I have not noticed the dreaded throttle lag on my '06 that many have complained about. I drive an 05 and 06 Crown Vic that have the drive by wire setup like the stangs, and they both DO have the lag. I can understand why people hate it, it sucks!! But my stang is definitely not like that. I'm wondering if it is worse with the autos...

This poll is mainly for cars in stock/nearly stock form. If you have a tune or other mods that modify the throttle lag, please vote for the way the car was before the mods. Thanks!!
Old 12/29/06, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

you should have mentioned

that this was for a car with no upgrades or you could have mentioned what upgrades they have put on to eliminate the lag
Old 12/29/06, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, is this an auto only issue?

I have an 07 V6 manual and haven't noticed any throttle lag. I've also driven GT manuals and haven't noticed it in them either.

The GT auto's on the other hand do have a noticeable lag, and this is easily cured with a good tune and upgraded gears.
Old 12/29/06, 06:12 PM

I'd have to say the throttle lag is bad. Here's why, I drove 5 speed Toyota 4 X 4's for more than 175,000 miles. You could "blip" the throttle on those little 4 bangers (or the one V6 I had) and the motor would spool up immediately for a down shift, double clutch, or what ever. To double clutch my GT, I have to blip the pedal all the way to the floor... I don't like that.
Old 12/29/06, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have you tried double blipping the throttle instead of mashing it all the way down? It works every time for me.

Two quick blips and I'm in the correct RPM point for downshift and it doesn't take any time at all.

I have a feeling that the throttle hesitation when rev matching is a safety thing programed into the computer. One of our top service techs alluded to that a while ago when we were talking about driving the new Mustangs.
Old 12/29/06, 06:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
Have you tried double blipping the throttle instead of mashing it all the way down? It works every time for me.

Two quick blips and I'm in the correct RPM point for downshift and it doesn't take any time at all.

I have a feeling that the throttle hesitation when rev matching is a safety thing programed into the computer. One of our top service techs alluded to that a while ago when we were talking about driving the new Mustangs.

I thought it was an emissions thing.
Old 12/29/06, 06:54 PM

I have the throttle lag on my 07 auto. What is the best tune, staying near stock, that can help the lag?
Old 12/29/06, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by samckernan
I thought it was an emissions thing.
It could most definately be that as well. WOT then down shifting does spew out a lot of uncombusted fuel. Ever watch LeMans and the flame thrower exhaust on the Corvettes as they down shift?

Our tech only alluded to it being part of a safety feature, maybe I misunderstood him and he ment emissions feature. I'll ask him about it when he is in next.
Old 12/29/06, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Larrybia, if you get yourself an SCT or Diablo tuner that is set up by one of the tuner experts mentioned here on the forums, they'll take out that lag (and do some other good things for your car). I think a lot of folks have had Doug at Bamachips set up a tune in an SCT Xcalibrator for them.
Old 12/29/06, 10:26 PM

Where can I find the procedure for changing the tune? I would like to see how difficult it is to do. Any problem getting into the computer?
Old 12/30/06, 05:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The 07 GT 5-speed manual has bad throttle lag. You have to really apply the throttle just to get it going at a slow speed, or else the TB motor doesn't want to open the plates. After you blip the throttle or finish applying the throttle, you can hear the throttle still being open about 0.5-1.5 seconds after you've eliminated throttle input. It gets rather annoying. Luckily my 00 Vic has the cable throttle system and it is a lot more sensitive.

When moving the vehicle from a stop, at the clutch's friction point, gently pushing the throttle results in zero change of engine RPMs. You have to apply enough throttle input, so much in fact, that it feels like you want to really move the car instead of just roll it a little. It's not very sensitive in this respect and isn't much of a lag issue. The cable throttle systems are much more sensitive. The lag comes into play when you're on the throttle (or just blipped the throttle) and now are no longer providing throttle input. You will hear something giving the car throttle for about 0.5-1.5 seconds after you "closed" the throttle. IIRC the throttle lag is due to Ford programming to decrease emissions and make sure as much fuel as possible is burned up.

FYI this is not just a problem with drive-by-wire Fords. The DCX LX cars have the same problem and a tune usually solves it (LX Platform = 300 / Charger / Magnum).
Old 12/30/06, 06:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony

For double-clutched downshifts, I just mash down the gas more than I'd normally want. The more RPMs the better for such scenarios. I think it is harder for my synchros to go from a slower speed to a higher speed than it is for a higher speed to a lower speed. Case in point, I never had any problems with upshifts. It upshifts like I am cutting through butter with a hot knive!

Originally Posted by Larrybia
I have the throttle lag on my 07 auto. What is the best tune, staying near stock, that can help the lag?
SCT does not allow even Pro Racer Package users to mess with this. Throttle lag elimination is incorporated into all of their tunes and apparently it is their policy to not allow us to mess with it. So if you have a SCT-based tune (from a dealer like Doug/Bamachips, Lidio, Justin, etc...) there's a 99.9% chance you already have the tune.
Old 12/30/06, 06:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have a 2007 5 speed GT. I only experenced minimal T/L before the tune and almost zero T/L after the tune
Old 12/30/06, 06:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

I do get some lag after I let off the gas, but not when I first push on it. It is pretty much instant when I hit the go pedal!! The '05-'06 Crown Vics I drive though are horrible when you push the gas. It takes forever it seems for it to give the engine any gas. Mash pedal, wait 1/2 second, then go. Annoying as he**!!
Old 12/30/06, 07:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Theedge67: That's pretty much how my 07 GT feels (3650 manual). Oh you wanted to apply the throttle? Lemme see what I can do, please hold. (elevator music) ....
Old 12/30/06, 08:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

That sucks, I can't imagine if my stang felt like the new Vic's feel. I guess that's why I've waited so long to get a tune, it really isn't that important to me being that I don't have the really bad lag. (plus the lack of $$ at the moment helps)
Old 12/30/06, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

The throttle lag in mine is most noticeable when I'm downshifting and try to blip the throttle in-between gears. The first blip usually does nothing - it takes two blips.

When I step on the gas hard to accelerate, there's very little or no lag. Actually, aside from trying to keep the revs up when downshifting, I don't really notice any throttle lag.

But, opposite of throttle lag, the other annoying thing about the drive-by-wire system is when I let off on the throttle in the lower gears, there's a second or two hesitation before the car actually starts to decelerate. That annoys me as much or more than the throttle lag because I have to apply the brakes when I shouldn't need to.
Old 12/30/06, 12:09 PM

these are the exact same issues i have experienced with my car! its only 7 days old but the throttle lag is kinda annoying...... time to save up for a tune!!

Originally Posted by wjones14
The throttle lag in mine is most noticeable when I'm downshifting and try to blip the throttle in-between gears. The first blip usually does nothing - it takes two blips.

When I step on the gas hard to accelerate, there's very little or no lag. Actually, aside from trying to keep the revs up when downshifting, I don't really notice any throttle lag.

But, opposite of throttle lag, the other annoying thing about the drive-by-wire system is when I let off on the throttle in the lower gears, there's a second or two hesitation before the car actually starts to decelerate. That annoys me as much or more than the throttle lag because I have to apply the brakes when I shouldn't need to.
Old 12/30/06, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

No lag (delayed response) on my stock 05 GT, but there is throttle hang (does not drop fast on lift off).
Old 12/30/06, 03:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It feels like I have to really get on the gas more than I should have to just to start from a stop. Coupled with the high pedal position for the clutch friction point, it takes some time to get used to IMHO. I'm tempted to flash my PCM but I'm trying not to modify this car (I have the flasher and I made the tune file, all I have to do is actually flash the PCM).

Quick Reply: Throttle Lag??