2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Thermometer

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/05, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I know it’s not a necessity to the mustang, but it would be nice to have a thermometer in the message center. I had hoped that ford woud do this when they upgraded the dash from the old style. They added some nice features like “miles to empty”, and IMO somewhat useless features like the MPG bar graph, average MPH, etc. Do I really need the chart when it tells you the average MPG already? Does anyone else that drives their car in the winter see the usefulness of the thermometer to help predict road conditions? Will aftermarket mfg. be making one that can be added to the message center?
Old 6/23/05, 08:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TorchRedGT@June 23, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hey, I know it’s not a necessity to the mustang, but it would be nice to have a thermometer in the message center. I had hoped that ford woud do this when they upgraded the dash from the old style. They added some nice features like “miles to empty”, and IMO somewhat useless features like the MPG bar graph, average MPH, etc. Do I really need the chart when it tells you the average MPG already? Does anyone else that drives their car in the winter see the usefulness of the thermometer to help predict road conditions? Will aftermarket mfg. be making one that can be added to the message center?

sorry i just cant answer this......
Old 6/23/05, 08:11 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're using a car mounted thermometer to predict road conditions and help you determine how to drive... please stay away from me.

I only say that because I've got one in my Camry and it's never accurate, usually too high.

I believe your best bet is to replace your rear view mirror with one that has a thermometer and compass built in. I've seen them before, might want to check w/ 05StangKC - Kevin.
Old 6/23/05, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@June 23, 2005, 7:14 PM
If you're using a car mounted thermometer to predict road conditions and help you determine how to drive... please stay away from me.

I only say that because I've got one in my Camry and it's never accurate, usually too high.

I believe your best bet is to replace your rear view mirror with one that has a thermometer and compass built in. I've seen them before, might want to check w/ 05StangKC - Kevin.

Well, what do you expect from a camry? Have you ever seen black ice? Or are you one to believe that you know everything about winter driving? I can take care of myself when driving, but sometimes its nice to know when to get off the main roads since no one else seems to realise that rain + near freezing temperatures = running into someone that is aware of road conditions and has slowed down. Thanks for the idea about the mirror. Buy american :angry:
Old 6/23/05, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

You can have a compass and thermometer put on your car for about $390, from the dealer. The thermometer is actually placed in the wheel well.
Old 6/23/05, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

when my car shows up I will be taking the comp/temp mirror out of my F-150, the temp seems to be very accurate and is handy up here in the northwest, anything under 39deg can turn icey!, besides, the compass is handy when you are in a strange city at night, lol
Old 6/23/05, 08:53 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by TorchRedGT@June 23, 2005, 9:29 PM
Well, what do you expect from a camry? Have you ever seen black ice? Or are you one to believe that you know everything about winter driving? I can take care of myself when driving, but sometimes its nice to know when to get off the main roads since no one else seems to realise that rain + near freezing temperatures = running into someone that is aware of road conditions and has slowed down. Thanks for the idea about the mirror. Buy american :angry:
Buy American hugh??? How about CAPITALIZING American? It's my company car and it's FREE! And to answer your question, yes I've seen black ice. I lived in North Ohio for 25 years and have more winter driving experience than most as I drove for a living. My point is that if you're using a thermometer that is notoriously inaccurate to determine your driving habits then you're a danger to others.
Old 6/23/05, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by KR3259@June 23, 2005, 7:46 PM
when my car shows up I will be taking the comp/temp mirror out of my F-150, the temp seems to be very accurate and is handy up here in the northwest, anything under 39deg can turn icey!, besides, the compass is handy when you are in a strange city at night, lol

Coming from an F150 also, I found myself looking for the temperature more than I thought. If I never had to drive in the winter in this car I would, but when I have to, any help is well received. Thanks!
Old 6/23/05, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@June 23, 2005, 7:56 PM
Buy American hugh??? How about CAPITALIZING American? It's my company car and it's FREE! And to answer your question, yes I've seen black ice. I lived in North Ohio for 25 years and have more winter driving experience than most as I drove for a living. My point is that if you're using a thermometer that is notoriously inaccurate to determine your driving habits then you're a danger to others.

The thermometer in the F150 I had was reasonably accurate. It doesent need to be all that accurate, just rive me an idea of what its doing outside. I have left work with it being 45+ degrees, and by the time I got home, it was below freezing. Its Amazing how fast the temp can change here. Hey, any reference helps. Well, free is free. Its just tough to see the american car companys take a beating over the last few years. What happened to supporting the companys that help put food on your table? Many of us are indirectly related to the big 3 in our work and our life. Who can argue with pure american muscle?
Old 6/23/05, 09:10 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by TorchRedGT@June 23, 2005, 10:06 PM
The thermometer in the F150 I had was reasonably accurate. It doesent need to be all that accurate, just rive me an idea of what its doing outside. I have left work with it being 45+ degrees, and by the time I got home, it was below freezing. Its Amazing how fast the temp can change here. Hey, any reference helps. Well, free is free. Its just tough to see the american car companys take a beating over the last few years. What happened to supporting the companys that help put food on your table? Many of us are indirectly related to the big 3 in our work and our life. Who can argue with pure american muscle?
Hey man, I agree with you 100%. My cars so far have been 3 Fords and 3 Jeeps. My wife had a Civic, but that's the only import to grace my garage. In my garage now are my 05 GT and my wife's Jeep Renegade... the 'El Camrito' sits outside

Edit: R.I.P. my Harley Davidson 1200 Custom
Old 6/23/05, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

With a title/subject like "where's the thermometer" I'm surprised no one has had any really funny / crude comments......yet.
Old 6/23/05, 11:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's the kindler, gentler, TMS.
Old 6/24/05, 04:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by wardog@June 24, 2005, 12:22 AM

With a title/subject like "where's the thermometer" I'm surprised no one has had any really funny / crude comments......yet.

I have been driving Michigan winters for 28 years and have never thought once to consult a thermometer to assist my driving style.

I basically go by the road conditions.
Old 6/24/05, 06:57 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm, you would rather have a thermometer than a bar graph that show miles/gallon consumption? Let's see, without a thermometer I can pretty much guess if I am hot, cold, comfortable etc. With the miles/gallon bar graph I can at least say "wow, I didn't realize that if I shift into a higher gear right now my fuel mileage would increase." By using that graph for over a week I know exactly when I should shift to get the best fuel mileage and I am averaging 26 MPG now so I would say that is a lot better than having a thermometer that tells me what I already know, I am too darn hot
Old 6/24/05, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove the lovely winter roads in Alaska and Montana for 20 years - never needed a thermometer to figure out when 'black ice' was present. I was just more careful in shaded areas when the temperature was in the low 30's or upper 20's. I could tell the temp w/o a thermometer based on the "NHF".

What a "hot" topic, guess I'll go "cool" off

NHF = nipple hardening factor
Old 6/24/05, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the thermometer in all 3 of my Ford's and I love it. Its one of those personal preference things I think. I do keep an eye on it for things like black ice as well. And living in Maine in long cold winters it is nice on a winter day to see the darn thing come up and say 33 degrees. Doesnt do anything except make me happy it is above freezing!LOL Makes you think a little more too when it is almost spring and we get a rain and you see the thing drop below 32 yet it is still raining. You do think of being more aware of the black ice. I am surprised the mustang doesnt have it. I know they are trying to keep the cost down so everyone can have one....except those of us still c/u....but give me the option and Ill gladly pay for it just like in most cars. I know I can get it aftermarket but things like that I prefer to buy installed at the factory. And last but most importantly as some of you have stated, BUY AMERICAN!!!
Old 6/24/05, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 24, 2005, 7:00 AM
Hmmmm, you would rather have a thermometer than a bar graph that show miles/gallon consumption? Let's see, without a thermometer I can pretty much guess if I am hot, cold, comfortable etc. With the miles/gallon bar graph I can at least say "wow, I didn't realize that if I shift into a higher gear right now my fuel mileage would increase." By using that graph for over a week I know exactly when I should shift to get the best fuel mileage and I am averaging 26 MPG now so I would say that is a lot better than having a thermometer that tells me what I already know, I am too darn hot
26 mpg? That's pretty good. Has your mileage improved as the car has been driven more? Mine seems to be getting better mileage the more miles I put on it.

By the way, I like that we can set the indicators for miles or kilometres. Mine's set for miles, and I like it that way.

As for a dash thermometer, my Volvo has one, and a red light that glows when the temperature gets to 2 degrees above zero. My wife likes that feature - she's paranoid of 'black ice'.
Old 6/24/05, 10:13 AM

Its amazing how people jump all over you when you for being a terrible driver if you glance at a thermometer every so often when you drive in the winter! I guess I wasn’t aware of the strong link between having a thermometer in your car and # crashes per year a driver has. Good thing ford left it out of the stang again, it sure ups the safety.
Old 6/24/05, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Really, I WAS just kidding. I have the thermometer/compass in my Silverado and love it. I miss it in the Mustang
Old 6/24/05, 12:28 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Montrose@June 24, 2005, 7:36 AM
26 mpg? That's pretty good. Has your mileage improved as the car has been driven more? Mine seems to be getting better mileage the more miles I put on it.

MPG got better after the CAI kit installation and once I learned the proper shift points. Mind you, when I drive like a maniac my MPG goes down to around 18. After 5,000 miles my MPG didn't increase anymore.

Quick Reply: Thermometer