2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Theories on the delay

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/04, 12:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know we've convered this here and there, but I'm not sure we've done it in one place. Forgive me if we have.

Does anyone have a reasonable theory on the delay in delivery of all the Mustangs that shipped between 10/2 and 10/11? Mine supposedly shipped 10/2, but is still not here. My Vin is ...104687.

~~ Paul
Old 11/3/04, 12:30 PM
GT Member

There has been talk of faulty welds, axle problems and other minor things but I wonder if it isn't just a case of the first lot of cars being "buried" way in the back of the lot. Suppose 3 or 4 thousand cars get built and parked back against the fence in the holding lot. Then so many cars get built so fast that they just keep piling them in front of the initial group. When the OK to ship came they just took the cars up front and started loading 'em on trains. Is it possible that they just kept putting the newly built cars in front of the older ones over and over again because they were building too fast and couldn't ship them fast enough to "dig-out" the ones in the back?
Old 11/3/04, 12:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by legendlimetime@November 3, 2004, 1:33 PM
There has been talk of faulty welds, axle problems and other minor things but I wonder if it isn't just a case of the first lot of cars being "buried" way in the back of the lot. Suppose 3 or 4 thousand cars get built and parked back against the fence in the holding lot. Then so many cars get built so fast that they just keep piling them in front of the initial group. When the OK to ship came they just took the cars up front and started loading 'em on trains. Is it possible that they just kept putting the newly built cars in front of the older ones over and over again because they were building too fast and couldn't ship them fast enough to "dig-out" the ones in the back?
That is the exact, and only, reason we have been able to get from anyone at Ford on our end. Don't know if it is true, but thats what they've told us, "it's against the fence".
Old 11/3/04, 01:47 PM
GT Member

Curious way to handle things.

Ford people have to come on this site, don't you think. Wouldn't they take specific measures to quiet the bad will created; if that is the case. It's one thing to think that your car is buried; another to think or be concerned that the quality is compromised.
Old 11/3/04, 01:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
/me wonders if there were similar issues in 93 over the 94 cars...
Old 11/3/04, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Karpro+November 3, 2004, 2:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Karpro @ November 3, 2004, 2:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-legendlimetime@November 3, 2004, 1:33 PM
That is the exact, and only, reason we have been able to get from anyone at Ford on our end. Don't know if it is true, but thats what they've told us, "it's against the fence". [/b][/quote]
I was told that they get boxed in too. My dealership owner, (my salesman) warned me of this and said he had it happen to him before. Mine was ordered in July and if it wasn't for the IUP shortage, I would have gotten it by now.
He just emailed me today and said he got the Certificate of Origin in the mail and it should be here any day now
Old 11/3/04, 03:05 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have a salesman friend at a dealer I won't buy from and I stopped in to visit him today. He was telling me about how peed off the dealerships are starting to get. This one had the green one I showed y'all, and were scheduled to get another GT and three v6es.
Apparently Ford has stuck a hold on their cars. He knows the 3 sixes are sitting at the train lot somewhere, but Ford has not yet shipped them. He said they keep shipping them more explorers, focii and tauruses than they can ever sell(I can vouch ick) but the mustang thing is starting to make them sick.
He also said there are tons of angry people who keep stopping in getting rude with the salesmen because they are not there. He said the GM is about to go postal, because Ford keeps talking out of the side of their mouth to them. (IE, Order them, and when they go to do so, Ford rejects it)

Meanwhile, across town at Eli's place.........They have more coming than they can use. Odd. Enough to keep them on the lots for a little while. I will be seeing them soon.
Old 11/3/04, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Yah I don't understand what the deal is! Most dealers that I visit are still waiting on their first 05! Even the largest volume dealership in IL hasn't seen one yet!
Old 11/3/04, 04:12 PM
GT Member

It is a matter of conjecture as to the real reason for a delay, because the company has officially said nothing offcially and different dealers had heard different stories. The real problem here is Ford's incredibly bad communication. If I may make an analogy. You walk into a McDonalds the first thing when it opens in the morning. You place your order as soon as orders are being taken. Then other customers come in behind you and place their orders. After a time, you notice, that although you have not been served, those that came after you are already enjoying their breakfasts. You walk back to the counter and inquire as to the status of your order. The clerk smiles but can't give you any real information from the kitchen. In the meantime, others continue to be served and you are still waiting. Well, this is what Ford has done to me concerning the new Mustang. I ordered on day one and still no car and no plausible communication. To further add salt to the wounds, let's say you've been a customer at the McDonalds for years, always loyal at spending your money there. So when you get such shoddy service, you don't just feel unappreciated, you feel like all the business you've given them meant nothing to them. Ford has done this to me and to many others of you who continue to wait. Now, some will say , hey, it's a car and you have to patient. And it's a really big company. Well, both those things are true, and if the company communicates with you or the dealer honestly and candidly, you can be patient and understanding, But Ford hasn't done this. Finally, yes, Ford is a big company, but you know, all deals come down to one at a time. And when you lose your base one at a time, you eventually lose big time. I am almost at the point of cancelling my order and going looking for another classic car. I haven't fully decided my course of action yet, except for one thing. I will never again order a car early from Ford. If I should buy another one, I'll just wait until the cars are on the dealer lots and plentiful.
Old 11/3/04, 04:17 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Mine was supposed to be here last month, and today I was told that mine is at the plant to get the dimmer switch fixed.
Old 11/3/04, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

I wrote a pretty passionate email to Ford's Customer Service on Monday saying basically the same thing as Bill's analogy and requesting answers for the delay and today got a call back from them. They left me a service number and asked me to call them back when I could. I thought, "Wow, now we might finally get somewhere...someone there must be realizing how frustrating this whole thing is and be trying to get to the bottom of this." So, I call back only to be told what my dealer tells me on our weekly call..."the last update shows your car was produced on 9/7." I couldn't help but laugh.
Old 11/3/04, 05:27 PM

I dont know about being blocked in the town i live in has a chrysler plant. Both there holding lots have 2 rows then a space to drive and 2 more rows and so on. Cant see a big company just parking them end to end.
Old 11/3/04, 05:29 PM

Everytime a Order is made for Mustang ford sends the Request to the South Pole where thousands of little eutopian elves are standing by to recieve it. They all work on the mustang with hammers and wrenches so this is why it takes so long...
Old 11/4/04, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Indystang@November 3, 2004, 3:43 PM
Mine was ordered in July and if it wasn't for the IUP shortage, I would have gotten it by now.
Maybe not, maybe if it wasn't for the IUP shortage, yours would still be "along the fence."
Old 11/4/04, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

They should not be blocked in now, but it does occur when many new cars are built and held. There has to be some quality hold or something like that now, I agree.