2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Test drove a GT in Dothan, AL today. Bondy's Ford.

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/04, 09:06 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
OK. This was a spure of the moment kind of thing so I didn't have my camera and I assumed there would be tons of pics on here today so I didn't make a special effort to go get it. Sorry.

Saleslady called me at work this afternoon and said it was in if I wanted to come look at it. I asked about driving it and she said it was still going through PDI so probably not today. I went anyway and waited. I was the first person to test drive it!

It was a Legend Lime GT with dark charcoal int., IUP, Shaker 500, the 17" bright machined aluminum wheels.

First, from the guy who hated and complained the most about the height of the seats, these are GREAT. I first sat in it while they were still detailing it and the first thing I noticed was they were a lot lower in the car and I had plenty of headroom (5' 11").
But then I was able to lower the seat even more! Thanks Ford! The upper side bolstering is a little better than the '04 and the lower is about the same, so they still need a lot of work in that department.

The exhaust is much louder than a stock '99-'04, but not as loud as my MagnaPacks. Probably even a little louder than MagnaFlows.

The torque curve was very even and even though it has more low end torque, the smooth curve made it seem slower than my '03, but I know it wasn't. The hydraulic clutch REALLY takes some getting used to. It takes no effort to press the pedal and it dissengages sooner than mine. The shifter was wierd. The **** "floats" like it's not screwed down all the way, but I tried tightening it and it just kept turning. I couldn't turn it too far though because the boot was attached to the ****. The shifter handle itself is a skinny (3/8"?) round bar with 2 or 3 turns in it.

Another thing that surprised me, even with all the pics I've seen, was the gauges. They were HUGE! I didn't spend time to try to figure out the color shifting. I read somewhere it was complicated. Oh, and there's no trunk realease button or lever inside the car. Only on the remote.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it later. BTW, they want $1k over MSRP.

Jason
Old 10/13/04, 09:13 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOTHAN!WTF! :angry:
You lucky dog!

Wish Dothan was closer I would SO be there- only thing I know is its lunchtime on the way to and back from PCB. :bang:
Old 10/13/04, 09:16 PM

It sounds like the overall consensus is good with first drives, but a really light clutch doesnt really sound satisfying to me.
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, I never found anything like that with the shifter,

I did find the clutch to be much easier than anything else I have ever operated, that's what took so long to get used to. It felt as if you are driving a really cool toy.

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@October 13, 2004, 9:16 PM
DOTHAN!WTF! :angry:
You lucky dog!

Wish Dothan was closer I would SO be there- only thing I know is its lunchtime on the way to and back from PCB. :bang:
LOL. Yeah that's about all anyone knows about it.

Oh something else. I noticed the A/C vents looked funny. They are thick. Not sure why.

Jason
Old 10/13/04, 10:58 PM

I wanna check out the clutch, I'll probably stall it since I'm not used to lite ones.
Old 10/14/04, 06:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

awesome!

congrats on getting to drive the car. hopefully we'll be seeing more soon.

Old 10/15/04, 07:42 PM

The clutch will take a LOT of getting used to. I also prefer the notchiness of my Tri-Ax. Guess it's just all about what you're used to.

BTW, I was lucky, that GT is now inside the showroom so I doubt anyone else has been able to test drive it.

Jason
Old 10/15/04, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's what I said about the gauges-HUGE!
How did the Legend Lime look? All I've seen is Redfire.