2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Test drove a 05 GT for about 20 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/04, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silverbull271, you have to understand that the point others are trying to make is that just because you thought it felt like your mach pulls harder doesn't mean much. A car can be faster even if it doesn't feel like it is pulling hard. right now we can all just guess...until we see some results...
Old 10/21/04, 07:39 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Exactly...
I feel/know its faster
is all speculation on your part. (not knocking you, just fact)
That until we see timeslips at the track.

I can say the same thing in reverse...that the mach1 feels fast, but the 05 GT feels just as fast in a refined/surprising way.

Dan can attest to this, he's drove all 3 of those cars (mach, cobra, 05GT)
If I can remember correctly, he thought it was Mach1 quick....but not on feeling.

Again..all untill we see numbers...its just a view, not a fact (yet)
Old 10/21/04, 07:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by snkbtn99+October 21, 2004, 6:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (snkbtn99 @ October 21, 2004, 6:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-67-4spd@October 20, 2004, 7:10 PM
who would buy any new car without test driving it more than 20 miles? I bought a new 03 FX4 and then a new 04 super crew 4X4 and drove both of them home for the weekend before i ever evn discussed a price.
I just bought a new F150 FX4 4x4 and only needed to test drive it a few miles on city streets and on the highway. I don't feel the need to take long winded test drives.

I test drive a vehicle that I know I am already going to buy by having already sat it in ..is it comfortable, etc, etc ... I take a test drive to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

One F150 I was looking at had a serios vibration. The one I bought was just perfect.

Different philosophies. [/b][/quote]
EXACTLY.................

The reason is b/c the car is Underpowered....go test drive one thats all i have to say ....other than that it is one awesome looking car!
Old 10/21/04, 07:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't know how you can feel the difference in pull in cars that are literally a tenth of a second apart from one another. A lot of people need to chill and quit mag racing; wait until someone takes their own 05' to the strip.
Old 10/21/04, 07:55 AM
Banned

Wrong quote....disregard....i was quoting....

MachPny
Old 10/21/04, 07:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by MachPny+October 21, 2004, 6:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MachPny @ October 21, 2004, 6:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-silverbull271@October 20, 2004, 8:31 PM
I am going to try and reply to ALL of you guys..............

First off i LOVe the new car

The car i drove was not a demo they just got it in yesterday......Haldelman Fored in NJ look it up.....

You guys can say ALL you want all i know is that the car does not pull anywhere NEAR a MACH!

As a matter of fact the car loses muster high in the power band!

Go test the car out for yourselves!

You will ALL see what i am talking about!

i live in the NY area....this is a MUSTANG not a LAMBHORGINI so you can test drive it all you want!

I cant wait to get mine

Look, I am a MUSTANG enthis. just like all of you....so i wanted to share my experieance with the 05 with you and let you know what i thought

When you guys drive it you will see and feeel it just like i have and just like all the owners have

We have ALOT of members who ALREADY have the car and they are not saying much about Power....why is that?????

Ill tell you why...it is b/c the car is OVERATED!

Not that it is a bad thing (like someone posted)

It is a TRULY beautiful car and i ABSOLUTELY love it!

All im saying is that it is NOT faster than a MACH.........END OF STORY!

I think that the car is a little faster than a 04 GT

From what i felt with a GREAT driver the car should do a 13.6---- 14.0

I cannot wait to get mine (8- 12 weeks)

Go test drive it guys.....tell me what YOU think...i wanna hear

As for me....I love mustangs... and i love this car and the previous one

BUT dont compare it to a MACH...compare it to an 04 GT

SMOKE those RICE basterds!
Great post. Thanks for the honest response. You know I also wondered that from the lucky few that have received the '05 why no big deal has been made about the power. Not many have given any feedback at all, postive or negative. To be honest its been sort of weird hearing the type of feedback from people who have driven/own the '05. There seems to be a lot people saying "great interior", "great smooth ride", or that it "out-handles the fox platform." It doesn't seem like mustang enthusiasts are testing these cars by the responses I have been reading.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that these cars are not as quick as most have hoped. Let me pose this question...If this car ran a 13.3 or lower I think you would see this all over the forums. I gotta think that someone, somewhere has taken this car to the track...why no info. This is killing me. When the 99 GTs came out MMFF and everyone and their brother had times on these cars. Some people were picking up their cars, grabbing their helmets and going to the track. Whats the big secret? [/b][/quote]
EXACTLY.................

The reason is b/c the car is Underpowered....go test drive one thats all i have to say ....other than that it is one awesome looking car!
Old 10/21/04, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Badandy@October 20, 2004, 7:08 PM
Yes you did. The new V6 is more powerful, more torque and weighs less since it is a coup. It is close.
I alos test drove the V6 if you think that car is faster than a 99 GT Id LOVE to puff on whatever you are.......MAYBE a 94- 98 GT BUT NO WAY a 99
Old 10/21/04, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

On paper, the power is close between the 2 but for me the looks, the price, and the relative exclusivity is the reason why I sprung for the Mach back in late '03 instead of waiting for the new Mustangs. Something about the seats, the shaker, stripes and the 4v DOHC V8 really just did it for me. Also the Mach and late Cobras were the best fox Mustangs ever mass produced. Also, I still like the looks of the new edge stangs vs the new retro look of the 05's. Now, I really like the new Mustangs, but my Mach is my baby and I'll be keeping, modding and enjoying her for a long long while.

That being said, I think the 05 is a sweet car, Ford really hit a homerun with this one. A friend of mine is soon gonna trade his '03 GT in for one which means, I'll be driving and riding in it anytime I want. Most likely picking one up myself in about 5 years or so. The power is close enough between the 2 to warrant a comparison but lets be honest, the 05 is all new from the ground up and a much better platfrom to start from right now. Those who want the HP edge just mod your car but remember there's always somebody faster out there. I say forget all these cannibalistic comparisons, go out enjoy your Stangs and go cook some ricers.
Old 10/21/04, 08:26 AM
GT Member

I believe it is going to be close between a mach 1 and an 05 gt. I wouldn't be suprised or upset if the mach was faster than the 05 gt. Yet I agree that its not as refined of an automobile that the 05 gt is, so if is probably more smooth when someone is full throttle than a mach 1.

Still having problems with the fact that some people believe that an new v6 is as fast as an 04 gt vert. I don't care if it weights less, still a v6 vs. v8. One engine was built for performance, the other just to get around town. Even if the difference in times is just a few seconds, that is a lot when it comes to comparing automobiles. Just my two cents.
Old 10/21/04, 08:36 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I drove the 05 with two people with me in the car (400+ extra lbs). It does haul. Definately faster than the old GT which I felt got winded.

I said at the time that it didn't feel Mach 1 fast, not because it wasn't, but because it was smoother and less road/engine noise. Its amazing how exhaust sounds/road sounds will affect how you perceive speed.

Many bolt-on cat-backs and say their car feels a lot faster. Not really the case. It is a bit quicker but you're not going to notice a massive improvement with 15 more hp even if it is sprinkled across the range. But the sound makes you think its pulling like a ****.

Motortrend did run a 5.1 sec 0-60 time. That is Mach 1 quick. You could argue conditions/car but its a bit of a weak arguement.

Like others have said, wait till you see results of a head-to-head. Either way, IMO this car is WAY closer to the Mach 1 than the previous GT.

When I accelerated hard in first, the tires even lost traction at the top end before the shift (and with all the weight).

One thing I notice about the Mach 1 is that the car jumps and front raises quite a bit under hard acceleration. The 05 seems more controlled so that may add to the perception of speed.

Just my $0.02.
Old 10/21/04, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Dan@October 21, 2004, 8:39 AM
One thing I notice about the Mach 1 is that the car jumps and front raises quite a bit under hard acceleration. The 05 seems more controlled so that may add to the perception of speed.
I think it's cause of all that there torque.
Old 10/21/04, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan@October 21, 2004, 8:39 AM
I drove the 05 with two people with me in the car (400+ extra lbs). It does haul. Definately faster than the old GT which I felt got winded.

I said at the time that it didn't feel Mach 1 fast, not because it wasn't, but because it was smoother and less road/engine noise. Its amazing how exhaust sounds/road sounds will affect how you perceive speed.

Many bolt-on cat-backs and say their car feels a lot faster. Not really the case. It is a bit quicker but you're not going to notice a massive improvement with 15 more hp even if it is sprinkled across the range. But the sound makes you think its pulling like a ****.

Motortrend did run a 5.1 sec 0-60 time. That is Mach 1 quick. You could argue conditions/car but its a bit of a weak arguement.

Like others have said, wait till you see results of a head-to-head. Either way, IMO this car is WAY closer to the Mach 1 than the previous GT.

When I accelerated hard in first, the tires even lost traction at the top end before the shift (and with all the weight).

Just my $0.02.
You know it's working good when it starts to get away at the top end in 1st gear.
Old 10/21/04, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Quik question,

Does the 05 have the traction control button? Will it make a diference as before?
Old 10/21/04, 10:00 AM

[COLOR=#008200][SIZE=14][FONT=Geneva] SMOKE ALL THE RICERS.......HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 10/21/04, 10:11 AM
V6 Member

I was one of the first people if not the first person to drive that exact same car that silverbull drove. I think I put the first 12 or so miles on it. I can understand where he is coming from with regards to it feeling less powerful then the Mach but I say who cares I loved the 05 when I drove it and I loved the Mach when I test drove that one. They are both great cars. Now unfortunately I am in the all so familiar waiting game until my 05 comes in.
Old 10/21/04, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

and again i say that the feeling of power does not necessarilly mean it is not as fast. WE just have to wait and see
Old 10/21/04, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by flyersfaniv@October 21, 2004, 10:14 AM
I loved the 05 when I drove it
At this point, that's really all that matters.

Old 10/21/04, 03:37 PM

I just got my November issue of MT mag. Here are the numbers that they ran at the track with an auto tranny equipped 2005 GT.

0-30.....1.9 seconds
0-40.....2.8 seconds
0-50.....3.8 seconds
0-60.....5.1 seconds
0-70.....6.8 seconds
0-80.....8.6 seconds
0-90.....11.0 seconds
0-100...13.7 seconds
1/4 mile.....13.6@99.9mph

Can anyone dig up an old MT mag and tell us how well the Mach1 did with it's track testing? Since we are magazine racing, I think that's the only fair way to tell for now.
Old 10/21/04, 04:28 PM

According to the posts on this site just about 3-5 people have actually recieved their car. So lets just say they want to break it in for 100-200 miles...

and you all are going question why someone hasn't allready hot-rodded the thing and gone through a set of tires just to prove your who's faster arguement.

Please :roll: let these people enjoy their cars. Soon enough a bunch of 16 year olds will be dogin' the crap out of them and spilling thier race stories... that or guys with access to tracks and more money than sense to spend on tires will give you some numbers...
Old 10/21/04, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by silverbull271+October 21, 2004, 7:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (silverbull271 @ October 21, 2004, 7:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Badandy@October 20, 2004, 7:08 PM
Yes you did. The new V6 is more powerful, more torque and weighs less since it is a coup. It is close.
I alos test drove the V6 if you think that car is faster than a 99 GT Id LOVE to puff on whatever you are.......MAYBE a 94- 98 GT BUT NO WAY a 99 [/b][/quote]
How old are you, 10? I just the NEW 2005 V6 COUPE will be CLOSE in speed to the previous model GT CONVERTIBLE.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 05 GT for about 20 miles!