Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drive V6

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/04, 10:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I had the oppourtunity today to take a test drive of a V6 Coupe. According to the dealership I was the first one on the test drive. This coupe was performance white with a red and black interior (red leather seats). The howl of the exhaust when I started the vehicle was quite entertaining. The seating I found very comforatable and all the controls were easily reached. A light touch of the accelerator told me I was driving a mustang. As we headed out on the test drive (salesman and myself) we had to stop for a red traffic light and in the next lane was an Acura with a dealer plate hanging out the trunk. When I took off from the light the Acura salesman had a problem keeping his car on the road while staring at the mustang, we thought that the Acura driver was going to crash into the nearby CFRN TV Station. Quite amusing to say the least. When heading back towards the dealership I was on an off ramp were the speed read 80kph which is about 50 mph when looking down at the speedometer I found myself doing 125kph or about 80 mph and I was barely on the accelerator. The off ramp was straight in line with the highway. Not bad for a V6. For the remainder of the driver back to the dealership I found it difficult to keep the car at 60kph while lightly touching the accelerator. For city driving speed control will have to be watched. For the short burst of highway driving the car had lots of get up and go and I did not find any power shortages at lower speeds the car just wanted to keep going. The car handled corners well and the back end did not feel like it was going to oversteer which is the feeling in former mustangs in a tight corner.

I was amazed at the roominess of the cockpit especially on the driver's side and for once my head does not touch the roof. I only had two minor complaints and one already has been brought forward by another forum member and that is that the steering wheel position blocks the view of the speedometer and you tend to find yourself trying to look between the spokes of the steering wheel for the speed and over top of the steering wheel. The second complaint is that for all the electronic gadetry in the new mustang, would it have been all that difficult to equip the new stang with heated mirrors?

Some of the interior things I liked was the self test modules for oil, gas, windshield wiper fluid etc. With stangs with the My Color Feature a press of a button tells you if the car is low on oil or when the low gas light goes on the computer estimates how many more miles or kilometers you can drive before the car will stop for lack of fuel.

I am very very very impressed with this car. Oops by the way did I say I was impressed. After I send this topic, I am going to bow to the east to the Ford Gods for making such a great new mustang. Ford should be congratulated big time.

For those that think the only way to go is the Mustang GT....take a few minutes and take the V6 Coupe for a test drive. I am sure you will be impressed.

I am certainly happy that I have put my deposit down on this new vehicle which will arrive in April - May, 2005. Finally if I had to give someone advice on a colour I would suggest Windveil Blue, it't quite the colour when you see it in person.

Hmmmmm? Did I say I was impressed?

Ray Spencer
Edmonton, Alberta
Old 11/11/04, 11:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Ray..... I am actually going to test drive the V-6 tomorrow, but I have ordered the GT. Alot of the reason for ordering the GT is the rear end cosmetics: The GT rear bumper hangs just a little bit lower than on the V-6, and thus hides a little bit more of the underside hardware......
Old 11/11/04, 11:09 PM
Cobra R Member

BTW Ray..... I agree that Windveil is a sweet color, but I had to have the Red Leather Interior, and thus Satin Silver was the best choice for me.....and the rear spoiler deleted as well.
Old 11/11/04, 11:41 PM
FR500 Member

I have the 4.0 v-6 in a Ranger and I have more than enough power
even with a decent load on it. It gets up and goes real good!
Old 11/12/04, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I should take a look at the rear end of the GT more closely, I never thought of the lower bumper hiding the hardware.