2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Test drive from a drag enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/04, 10:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but we have had 'review' after 'review' before our members here, or ANYONE that anybody here knew drove the car that were sketchy or presumptuous. I know most people are getting a one shot one minute ride, but if you think you maybe just need to get used to one for a little bit to get a true evaluation, please just say so. It just sounds like you pounded on it and it didnt like it too much and then you say its a 'daily driver'. I have had 5 fox-up mustangs and have tried just about everything to make it better with modifications over the years, and they have TONS of shortcomings but I still bought them anyway. If I went for a gee-wiz launch to smoke em instead of a proper drag launch(which I would most likely do), and possibly bounced the rev limiter on the 1-2 and killed the power for a sec(you would end up with NO power for a good sec when the electronic throttle cuts response for an instant after it hits the limitier too you would have to let off and repress the gas pedal), I would say so. It sounds like you hit it because you are probably used to a 6000+rpm feel for a shift point. We are all friends here, I just thought that review was a little rough.
Old 8/20/04, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like a traction control issue...as we all know whenever traction control is on and your spinnin' it bogs the motor down. I am riding in one this weekend and i have experienced everything from 10 second cars and up....what people have to remember is this IS NOT A COBRA. We have all been spoiled with the estimated 390 hp cobra. My best buddy has the same problem with this car...."oh its slow...it only runs 14.0's or whatever" yea but he owned a cobra...and he also paid tons of money for it. If anyone on this board is not happy with a 300 hp car for roughly 25 K then by all means spring for the cobra thats gonna be 40 or 50 K....or hey if that isnt enough why dont you get a GT?

No matter what the car runs we are getting a whole new platform, new styling, NEW INTERIOR!! (since 94), and a 300 hp motor for roughly the same cost as the current model. I say were ahead of the game.

The mustang was never meant to be the fastest car out there...it was meant to be affordable and attainable to the everyday sports car nut. I dont care what anyone says....this motor has tons of potential...and any motorhead would rather build up a great motor than have something that costs as much as a porshe.

Sure the mustang GT could have been a 12 second car...that would have been awsome... but is everyone on this board willing to pay 10 grand more? 20? I dont think so....

I respect your review but i think in your case i believe your expectations were too high...and yes the 3v is going to have a different powerband....the 2v 4.6 pulls more on top end compared to the 5.0....its a different motor...one pass in the car is not going to reveal all of its potential...

My 2 cents.
Old 8/20/04, 11:10 AM

Now Kevin...you know you just can't go around giving your opinion...especialy if it's a little negative on a guy's post that just joined today....even though he gave his resume of mustangs and downed our dream car. HAHA
Old 8/20/04, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the review. I can't argue with anyone yet cause I've barely seen the car let alone driven the darn thing yet.:cry:
Old 8/20/04, 12:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Either hitting the rev limiter with an electronic throttle or hitting traction control will kill it. Fords all-speed is intended for "normal" driving. You CAN burnout with it, if you get the wheel speed to 30mph right away, traction control will NOT react to it, but it will kick in on the second gear shift. I have done it many times at the strip and only figured it out at the tree when I do a 2500 rpm launch and only get mild spin, because I got away with the tire warmup with no problem. :nono: If you hit the rev limiter, you would loose all power on the 1-2 shift and have to lift off the throttle for a second before it 'resets' to normal.
Old 8/20/04, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I love reading reviews, but I don't take any stock in people's SOTP estimate of performance. A lot of people think it's fast, a lot think it's slow, someone's got to be wrong . I'll wait for actual numbers. I look at it this way -- compared to my setup, a stock 03 Cobra feels slow, and I was just as unimpressed with its power as the guy who wrote this thread. And yet we can all agree that an 03 Cobra is indeed pretty quick in actual performance.

It is interesting to hear someone comapare a N/A Cobra to it, though -- I had two Cobras, a 98 and a 99, and they were dogs at anything below 4000 RPM. I really hope the 05 GT has a much better power band.

Dave
Old 8/20/04, 01:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

The 03 Cobra is SO much faster then a GT, and I tend to overdrive it because its pretty easy to get it. Its got nearly 2000 rpms more redline then a GT 2v and I bounce it ALL the time-MORE MORE MORE! whoops. Also, I would run my GT for all it had and hit every shift perfect and think I broke some personal record, then pick up my slip and see I lost a tenth.
Old 8/20/04, 01:22 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I just thought about that... once everyone here gets their stangs, they'll leave the rest of us here to rot. I guess I need to go buy one once that happens.
Old 8/20/04, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by kevinb120@August 20, 2004, 10:46 AM
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but we have had 'review' after 'review' before our members here, or ANYONE that anybody here knew drove the car that were sketchy or presumptuous. I know most people are getting a one shot one minute ride, but if you think you maybe just need to get used to one for a little bit to get a true evaluation, please just say so. It just sounds like you pounded on it and it didnt like it too much and then you say its a 'daily driver'. I have had 5 fox-up mustangs and have tried just about everything to make it better with modifications over the years, and they have TONS of shortcomings but I still bought them anyway. If I went for a gee-wiz launch to smoke em instead of a proper drag launch(which I would most likely do), and possibly bounced the rev limiter on the 1-2 and killed the power for a sec(you would end up with NO power for a good sec when the electronic throttle cuts response for an instant after it hits the limitier too you would have to let off and repress the gas pedal), I would say so. It sounds like you hit it because you are probably used to a 6000+rpm feel for a shift point. We are all friends here, I just thought that review was a little rough.
Very, very true.

I'm almost positive I didn't hit the limiter. I was paying close attention after the "watch me be an hineyhole in a car that's not mine-burnout" and the tires caught right about 5K. I looked down, saw 5.2K, said F-it and went for the shift. It was quick and painless and I figured the margin of error from what I saw to the actual engine speed would've been at most, around 800 RPMS. I read a previous post stating the limiter wasn't on until 6.5K. We'll just have to wait and see!

Not that anyone would take purchase advice from a one-minute ride from someone on the internet. At least i'd hope not.

I can't figure out what happened. Not a big deal, they'll be in showrooms in 3-4 weeks anyhow.

(EDIT, Language)
Old 8/20/04, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Pony_stile@August 20, 2004, 11:13 AM
Now Kevin...you know you just can't go around giving your opinion...especialy if it's a little negative on a guy's post that just joined today....even though he gave his resume of mustangs and downed our dream car. HAHA
Kevin's opinion was to the point and well understood unlike yours. Your post(s) seem to have a major bias, dare I say "fanboi", towards the 2005 Mustang. I'm assuming you're going to buy one, no matter what the reviews are. That's fine and i'm all about it. Just don't bash the reviewers because we weren't impressed with it. It may not be a good car for me and it may be an absolutely perfect match for you. That's fine and i'm all the more happy. People have different opinions on things, it happens. I'd appreciate you PMing me if you absolutely have to add something to this conversation that isn't related to the original topic. B)
Old 8/20/04, 03:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

man, sounds like a cat fight................phittttttt phittttt i dont see what the big deal is i guess. i love stangs as much maybe more than the next guy. i feel he gave an honest review of his experience. which is all he had to post about. and the 3V should be better uptop than the 2V and be better downlow than the 4V. i mean atleast we know itll light em up to 5500

and who knows what kind of fun the electronic throttle is going to have on the car. i can see this is going to be one of the biggest money makers for the aftermarket

oh, yeah welcome doogz
Old 8/20/04, 06:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by doogz@August 20, 2004, 3:38 PM
"watch me be an hineyhole in a car that's not mine-burnout"
*giddy laugh* That's a funny word...

Old 8/20/04, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I remember years ago (at the beginning of the 94 run of Mustangs) I thought

"man, it would be nice to have a nice lightweight V6 that produced great power like the V6 and I6's from other companies, in a Mustang body... reduce the weight, which would even out the weight distribution, make it a nice handler and have about as much horsepower but a little less grunt than my 88 GT".

Remember, I'm a pro-V8 guy. I just thought that it was time to make a good "pony" car once again with a modern high power V6.

Well, 10-11 years later, we get a true V8 with the right weight distribution and handling to make it all of my dream, plus plus plus.

It's a great entry level V8. Don't forget, this isn't the "Hi-Po" or SE, it's your basic V8. In 1964-1/2, that was a 200HP (gross) 2V 289.

We've come a long way, baby.
Old 8/20/04, 08:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Then most likely TC was on. You probably did a burnout that kept TC from engaging but 1-2 shift caught it. Ive seen in the video the car break traction in second after a shift and cary it up the block 90-100'
Old 8/20/04, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

I enjoy reading different opinions, good or bad. I'm not a track guy so my next Mustang will be another daily driver. Pure straight line performance in the 1/4 means nothing to me and I'm sure 300 hp will be more than enough for me considering how I use my car.

I'm a lot more concerned about the handling. I look forward to the upcoming mag revues and a long rental, aka extended test drive, even in the 6.
Old 8/20/04, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice thread Doogz! I liked it. The more testimonials, the better. Thanks Amy for yours the other night. Super job! Well done. Boomer and Dan; or anyone else out there, have a question. Has anyone heard what the price will be[ballpark]up here in Canada, for the V8-Loaded with all the options? My FORD salseman says that he thinks it's going to come in at around 40 g's. Now remember that's in Canadian funds. And you say"Only In Canada EH!" By the way Dan, thanks for the answer on the aluminum block. Got tied up, and haven't been on the site for a couple of days. All in all, I think the new Stang is going to be quite an improvement over some of the previous models. Who knows, a set of headers, a K&N filter, and a few aftermarket parts, and this pony just might become a stallion! :scratch:

Haven't hugged my salseman today. He's gone to the PONIES!
Old 8/20/04, 09:15 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
40G???Maybe with taxes included...but I'd assume the prices come in NO more than 1000 more than a similarly optioned out car.

If the base prices is 25,000k US...
I'd assume that the base Canadian price would be 32,500 - 33,000
(04s were 31,750)
Verts are base 38,000

Don't forget, we don't have an insane ammount of options.

So ballpark here....

32,500 for the base GT
800 for the IUP (best guess..shooting high)
900-1000 for leather seats
600 for wheel upgrade.

and then knock that down to at least 32,000/33,000+tax
38,000 with taxes.

I can see the 40,000 being a loaded GT with tax
Old 8/20/04, 09:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by scottie1113@August 20, 2004, 9:09 PM
I enjoy reading different opinions, good or bad. I'm not a track guy so my next Mustang will be another daily driver. Pure straight line performance in the 1/4 means nothing to me and I'm sure 300 hp will be more than enough for me considering how I use my car.

ditto
Old 8/20/04, 11:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Boomer, what about auto and the shaker 1000, aren't side air bags and the anti theft options too???.........
Old 8/20/04, 11:50 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by kevinb120@August 20, 2004, 11:02 PM
Then most likely TC was on. You probably did a burnout that kept TC from engaging but 1-2 shift caught it. Ive seen in the video the car break traction in second after a shift and cary it up the block 90-100'
Thai-Tang said that the new T/C system will allow for burnouts. Its supposed to be smarter than the last and it knows when you're having some fun.

Quick Reply: Test drive from a drag enthusiast