2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Test drive from a drag enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/04, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Background: I have a '96 Cobra with longtubes, offroad h-pipe, CAI, 3.73's. Dad has an '02 Mustang GT auto. I've driven the '03 cobra, '01 cobra, '03 Mach 1, '04 Roush stg 3's, etc. etc. etc. I was more concerned with the acceleration of this car and how it shifted than anything else. If you are not concerned with the drag racing aspect of this car, FF to the end. Here's a hint: It'd be a great daily driver.

I drove the Red one. I wanted the Yellow one solely based on the guy sitting shotgun

turn the corner and there's a nice straightaway with cones telling me where to stop. I'm half paying attention to him and half contemplating if i've got the cajones to powershift this thing withint the first 45 seconds of me being in the car. He tells me, yeah just slow down, put it in first and you can accelerate through first and second. I nod, aim the wheels forward and stop the car. He starts to say yeah, just ease out the... I immediately block him out, tach it up to about 4.5K, step on it and drop the bomb. It launched pretty straight and I kept it under control, tires ablazin. I couldn't judge power at this point but it definately was running out of breath up top. Time for the 1-2 shift. I start thinking... man, the guys before me really weren't driving them too good. This guy must be bored out of his pants with all these other drivers. D'oh, 5.5K and the tires stopped spinning. I powershift 2nd. Cleanest shift of my life..

I feel nothing. ****. I just broke a car that isn't out yet. No, wait.. CHIRRRRRRRP. ****ing traction control? Rev-limiter? WTF. No idea what happened. I'm 99% sure I didn't hit the limiter. I asked the Ford guy if that long hesitation was traction control and all he said was "Yeah, traction control is on." I can do a nice long smokey burnout in first, but it kicks in on the 1-2???

Midrange power is definatly up from my car and although it breathes a bit better than the current GT, it's definately not a 4v. It didn't feel particularly strong in any gear. I was not impressed with the powerband on this thing. I like the torquey feeling of the 2v's and the high revving of the 4v's but this thing got stuck in the middle somewhere. Around town daily driving would be perfect in this thing, but that's not what i'm interested in.

Approaching the slalom the guy tells me to leave it in second gear for the duration of the drive. Fine. As we approach the first cone he tries explaining what to do. I nail the gas and throw it inbetween the first two cones. Noticable body roll, but the steering and feel of the car is pretty darn good! Light like a Lincoln LS and I didn't hear the tires break loose. There was evident body roll when you first throw it into a corner, but it didn't feel unstable or like it would tip over. The suspension resembles the new Mach 1 suspension if I had to compare it to something.

The good: Great daily driver, much improved feel, modern ergonomics, decent shifter, sounds awesome for being stock, good low-midrange torque compared to the current N/A 4v and 2v

The bad: Felt like it lacked a powerband, low power up top, V6 is ugly without the front headlights, 1-2 shift felt like it killed the engine or put it in the wrong powerband

Conclusion: I'll wait for a more ballsy version. This thing is begging for Saleen, Roush, or SVT to fix the front end somehow and put a nice hood on it. I'm not impressed with the rims either, although they do fit the overall look of the car very nicely.
Old 8/20/04, 09:08 AM
wrb
V6 Member

which rims ?
Old 8/20/04, 09:09 AM

Thanks for your informed opinion. It's nice to hear from someone that has a lot of experience in driving stangs give an honest review of this car. However, you have a modified Cobra that stock goes 0 - 60 in like 5.5...5.6 seconds. Will you be thinking about the weak power band when you get dusted by this car in a few short months? Nice 1st post. Welcome to the board.
Old 8/20/04, 09:24 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice post...
but something tells me your used to so much power..when something lesser comes along, it doesn't have that 'oomph' that your looking for.

I have a feeling this car is very deceptive...
It has a 'fool you' kickin with it.... in that it will be DECENTLY quick (I say that, as for a 25k dollar car, that can hit 0-60 in 5.2 AIN'T too shabby!)
as opposed to the opposite side of the scale, which feels incredibly quick, but ain't

Great to hear its an overall cross of beast/daily driver...best of both worlds, and just enough to satisfy those people looking at that car in that range
And a prelude of things to come for those bitten by the snake....
Excellente
Old 8/20/04, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Pony_stile@August 20, 2004, 9:12 AM
Will you be thinking about the weak power band when you get dusted by this car in a few short months?
Why are you trying to stir the pot? I never once stated in my post my car was fast. I never once stated in my post the results of an imaginary race between me and a car that isn't exactly out yet. Nor did I say this was about an internet bench racing argument. If you'd like to de-rail the thread, go ahead.
Old 8/20/04, 09:29 AM
I Have No Life

doogz...i agree... you gave an honest review....and were in NO way trying to entice a war. I thank you for that..

Pony_stile...try to keep this in mind, he wasn't trying to crap on the car.
Lets keep it civilized

Doogz, welcome and thanks again, I love hearing these reviews... and your one lucky guy to drive it!
Old 8/20/04, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Hi Phil
Old 8/20/04, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Amy V6@August 20, 2004, 9:34 AM
Hi Phil
Haaay!

Did you get rubber in your test drive of the stick?

You going to Woodward tomororw? I got a spot on 9 mile in the Snake Pit. The for sale sign will be up and in full effect
Old 8/20/04, 09:48 AM

I was just kidding...lighten up man. I was not really attacking you. If you think I attacked you, just wait. I gave your post praise. You said "Not impressed by ANY means", I didn't really get that feeling when I read you post. Could you elaberate on all of the "ANY" please? Again, welcome to the board.
Old 8/20/04, 09:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense, but if you are into drag racing, why did you bother with a 96 cobra? and from your launch technique, your 60' times must stink. You actually shifted the car from 1-2 without any clutch use whatsoever? If those are your only mods, I'd still bet a stock 05 beats it.
Old 8/20/04, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Pony_stile@August 20, 2004, 9:51 AM
I was just kidding...lighten up man. I was not really attacking you. If you think I attacked you, just wait. I gave your post praise. You said "Not impressed by ANY means", I didn't really get that feeling when I read you post. Could you elaberate on all of the "ANY" please? Again, welcome to the board.
No problem

The ANY part came from me not being impressed by the hype created by this car. Strictly straight line drag strip performance based on a 1-2 shift that went wrong somehow. I don't write magazines, I don't race for Ford, I didn't drive the car more than once. I'm not a professional, just a guy who likes to drive cars and got a chance with the new 2005. I wasn't impressed. The clutch and trans felt extremely similar to the Cadillac CTS.
Old 8/20/04, 10:10 AM

See Doogz....that was an attack by Kevin, I highly respected member of this board.
Old 8/20/04, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by kevinb120@August 20, 2004, 9:58 AM
No offense, but if you are into drag racing, why did you bother with a 96 cobra? and from your launch technique, your 60' times must stink. You actually shifted the car from 1-2 without any clutch use whatsoever? If those are your only mods, I'd still bet a stock 05 beats it.
Is the '96 Cobra a bad choice for a drag car? I like getting 25mpg and the ability to run low 13's in street trim. It's not fast by any means. I'll repeat that last statement. It's not fast by any means. If I wanted a drag car, I would've built one.

The clutch was used, sorry if the terminology between us has different meanings. I held the accelerator to the floor while shifting.

If it can beat my '96, great. A stone stock LS1 among many, many, many other cars can smoke mine in stock form. Good for them.
Old 8/20/04, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Pony_stile@August 20, 2004, 10:13 AM
See Doogz....that was an attack by Kevin, I highly respected member of this board.
Umm.. ok?
Old 8/20/04, 10:16 AM
I Have No Life

This sounds like my dad can beat your dad .. kinda thread.

We aren't talking about whether an 05 can toast 'x' car, and if they own one. Easy on the 'attacks' guys. Lets all lighten up...emkay....

Phil..96 Cobra's are a pretty darn good car...'whether an 05 can smoke one or not'
Mustangs are mustangs in my book
Old 8/20/04, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

you know... i was thinking- when we all get our mustangs finally- what is this forum going to be??? no one's ever going to have time to post anything cuz we'll be having too much fun driving the stang around.... hehe
Old 8/20/04, 10:24 AM
FR500 Member

thanks for the review. im glad we get to see pro's & cons. im going to make my own assumption come september when i have to get into the driver's seat
Old 8/20/04, 10:33 AM
V6 Member

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ford had configured the traction control to allow a limited amount of wheelspin on dry pavement from rest. If that's true (and there is enough people on this board to confirm or refute that fuzzy recollection!), it is possible you had the traction control on.

Another is that electronic throttles are often designed not to allow the engine to exceed a set rpm when the clutch is disengaged or the transmission isn't in gear. Thus, it is possible that by conducting a powershift, the result was the engine immediately falling back to a lower rpm. The result would be that, even though you didn't lift, the car lifted for you, resulting in the feeling that it had no beans on the 1-2 shift.

I suspect you've discovered a quirk with the electronic throttle and the run wasn't representative of what the car can do. My WAG, for what it's worth!
Old 8/20/04, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah THANKS Dooz for the review B) I had a 96 with similiar mods (Except long tubes and offroad) and really enjoyed the car. I was especially interested in the mid to top end feel...as the 96 really felt good up top.

Ron
Old 8/20/04, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by doogz+August 20, 2004, 9:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (doogz @ August 20, 2004, 9:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Amy V6@August 20, 2004, 9:34 AM
Hi Phil
Haaay!

Did you get rubber in your test drive of the stick?

You going to Woodward tomororw? I got a spot on 9 mile in the Snake Pit. The for sale sign will be up and in full effect [/b][/quote]
Were you with Lenny when he was yelling at me "she can't drive that!!!" hahaha Saw that you called me, but didn't notice it until later on. The guy that was driving with me.. I warned him.. it's been since last summer since I first learned how to drive a stick. He kept yelling CLUTCH CLUTCH CLUTCH!! hahaha I kept it in 2nd gear the whole time Drove the auto GT earlier in the morning.

Yup.. I'll be at Woodward tomorrow 26635 Woodward Ave Huntington Woods, near 11 mile.

Cobra is going up for sale bummer. I'm thinking of putting a for sale sign on mine while there and see if I have any bites

Gimmie a buzz tomorrow. I'll be there all day.

Quick Reply: Test drive from a drag enthusiast