Tapping,ticking, chugging??? HELP - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

Tapping,ticking, chugging??? HELP

Old 4/20/17, 05:45 AM   #1

Tapping,ticking, chugging??? HELP

I know there have been numerous posts about this issue but I can't seem to understand or pin point my specific issue.. my 05 gt has been making this weird tapping noise when idle and lately as soon as I put it in drive is chugs really bad almost like it wants to die but doesn't.. I did notice that the noise gets noticibly louder when I turn on my headlights.. don't know if that matters any.. but I've been reading posts about rocker arms and such.. I checked my oil and it's fine although I had noticed an oil leak recently took it to a mechanic who said I needed an oil pressure switch and oil adapter gasket. Which will be fixed soon. Anyway.. any help would be great and I have little to no mechanical knowledge.. so explainations help! I'll try to attach video.. 05 mustang gt automatic
909CaliStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 4/20/17, 05:47 AM   #2

New to this site so can't figure out how to attach video. Hope my description was enough..
Old 4/20/17, 07:32 AM   #3
Post *****

How many miles on your ride? Has the throttle body ever been cleaned? What is an oil adapter gasket?
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/20/17, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
How many miles on your ride? Has the throttle body ever been cleaned? What is an oil adapter gasket?

i just hit 100k. Throttle body has never been cleaned since my ownership (2013) and forgive my lack of knowledge. I meant oil filter adapter gasket. Have a pic [img]webkit-fake-url://9a86fb8a-4a91-473a-99fb-d0cb83b30cc6/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 4/20/17, 09:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909CaliStang View Post
i just hit 100k. Throttle body has never been cleaned since my ownership (2013) and forgive my lack of knowledge. I meant oil filter adapter gasket. Have a pic [img]webkit-fake-url://9a86fb8a-4a91-473a-99fb-d0cb83b30cc6/imagejpeg[/img]
[img]webkit-fake-url://cdb13e0a-ba5b-4426-a72f-6cc2662041a6/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 4/20/17, 02:30 PM   #6
Cobra Member

At 100K you should be in need of spark plugs, definitely a new fuel filter, and a good throttle body cleaning. There are some good "how to" videos on changing the fuel filter, and cleaning the throttle body if you're into doing it yourself. Those two things aren't that hard. Also, if you have an automatic you should change the fluid for good measure. Check your owners manual for other things if you have one. If not you can find it online. As to the ticking it's hard to say without hearing it in person, but I hope it's nothing serious. Good luck.
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/20/17, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanted33 View Post
At 100K you should be in need of spark plugs, definitely a new fuel filter, and a good throttle body cleaning. There are some good "how to" videos on changing the fuel filter, and cleaning the throttle body if you're into doing it yourself. Those two things aren't that hard. Also, if you have an automatic you should change the fluid for good measure. Check your owners manual for other things if you have one. If not you can find it online. As to the ticking it's hard to say without hearing it in person, but I hope it's nothing serious. Good luck.

thabks for your reply! I'm sorry, I should've mentioned that I just changed out my spark plugs replaced last year.. I don't think I've driven much to change them, my fuel filter was changed also last year but they're easy fixes I will do regardless to be safe! Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to 909CaliStang For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (4/21/17)