2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

SVT Rumors Not True

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/04, 12:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom Shreiener (member of my stang club) has a lot of connections with SVT and said that the reason the Lightning has been postponed is because of "politics". Couldn't get any more out of him, but he said we won't see a new lightning until after the new Cobra debuts.
BTW, I'm not sure what it means that hes "in" with SVT, but the last time the club went to the assembly plant, John Colleti and all the heads of SVT had a dinner for all the people in our club, and while other clubs walked BY the assembly lines, ours got to go in and observe the process. Tom stood for 8 hours and watched them build his 04 Screaming Yellow cobra. Too bad I wasn't in the club when they did all this, but we're planning another trip this spring!!!!!!!!!

http://www.shreinerracing.com/
Old 10/31/04, 02:38 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2MustangJohn@October 30, 2004, 11:03 PM
Really, what r these new motors? I've never heard of the hurricane or the one that everyone was wanting for the V6. Is it just a larger modular motor or what?
Although Ford has acknowledged that the Huricane program exists and that it's displacement is around 6.2L, Ford has said NOTHING else about this engine nor when it is slated for production.

Rumors are that it is a scaled up 5.4L Mod Motor with the same stroke as the 5.4 and a larger bore. However there has been NO confirmation that this rumor is true.

So who knows.
Old 10/31/04, 08:06 PM

I believe these are not false rumors and should be taken seriously. In fact lets examine a comment from a person that signed our petition to Ford.
This is what was said

"It constitutes gross disloyalty to Ford fans that Ford Motor Company should devote time and resources to ultra expensive projects like the Ford GT, then deny the rest of us any high performance vehicles. I guess we don't count anymore."

Now when you think about it maybe Ford spent too much money on this project and had to cut other areas. First the SVT Focus was axed. Now the Lightning and maybe even the Cobra and SVT itself will be shelved in the future. We as loyal Ford and Mustang owners cannot take this lying down. We need to step up and let Ford know how we feel. I encourage you to take this issue seriously and sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/savesvt/petition.html. I believe in what I have heard and believe Ford may be considering cutting this great Program. Lets not let them.
Old 10/31/04, 08:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That some good news ,because I'am thinking buy Lighting in 08.
Old 11/2/04, 02:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

This was sent to me from a buddy of mine at work. He's in the SVTOA and the Cobra owners club.

Fellow Members,

With the confusion of whether the SVT brand will remain in the hands of John Coletti and Company, I am asking everyone to physically write a letter to Bill Ford, Ford CEO, and a copy letter to Phil Martens, VP of Product Creation. It also would not hurt to send one to John Coletti to let him know. I would address that to Ford SVT. My letter will be posted up on the SCMC website!

There is definitely something going on but I cannot share it with you at this time.

Here are the addresses I have for Bill and Phil:

Bill Ford - President
Ford World Headquarters
The American Road
Dearborn, MI 48126

Phil Martens, Group VP, Product Creation
Ford Motor Company, Product Design Center
21175 Oakwood Blvd., Executive Wing, Dept. 5100K001
Dearborn, MI 48124

Special thanks to Richard Minnick for supplying me with the address for Bill! I will have a weekly e-mail ready for you this week.

Thanks,

Tony Sorrentino
mrmach@cetlink.net
SVT Cobra Mustang Club
www.svtcobraclub.com
SCMC Hotline: (803) 371-0725

For updates and other club information, go to
www.SVTCobraClub.com
Old 11/2/04, 03:30 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Autoextremest has reported that although the official party line is that the Lightning is delayed, in reality, it is dead.

I guess we'll know for sure in 2 - 3 years.
Old 11/2/04, 03:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From Autoweek:
In other Ford news:

>>> John Coletti, director of Ford's Special Vehicle Team, says the high-performance Lightning pickup truck is not dead, just delayed until engineers can create a new version that fits in with Ford's marketing and production "cadence." Coletti said the muscle truck will be back in the Ford lineup, but he wouldn't give a time frame. He did say the next SVT product, the Mustang Cobra, will be launched in 2006 as a 2007 model and that the emphasis will be on fine-tuning the handling, brakes and dynamic performance along with the usual massive dose of horsepower.
Old 11/3/04, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

For d press release today, nov 3rd, mentions all the SEMA mustangs and states the following

"Work continues on an SVT Cobra version of the 2005 Mustang"

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_dis...m?release=19201
Old 11/3/04, 11:53 PM
V6 Member

I believe we'll see a cobra or svt model before 2007. I think they are telling us this so people will go out and buy the GT instead of waiting a couple more months for the cobra, Just my thoughts thats all.
Old 11/4/04, 03:46 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

I hope you're right. But it is common for companies to let the initial sales surge to start to slow, then pump SE's and others to get more attention and re-inflate demand. I doubt they'll want to release anything until they can meet the demand they have. If demand starts to dip at all, I bet they have an SE or two they'll show, and the SVT as their big gun. (I expect an SE for Detroit show).

In the past, how early did they show/announce the Cobra? (6 months? 1 year?) I don't think they want to pirate sales by pre-announcing too far.
Old 11/4/04, 04:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I am thrilled to know that SVT will soldier on and that we will see a Cobra soon. Brad - thanks for debunking all the hype and hoopla around those rumors! :worship:

I love the new Saleen but man, the idea that a Cobra is definitely coming based on the new 'Stang? It makes me want to Dance!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Old 11/4/04, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

that's good to hear that the rumor isn't true
Old 11/8/04, 05:39 PM

The Ford Lighting is put on hold for now might be out as a 2008 Model !!!
Old 11/16/04, 07:55 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Tom Scarpello has left SVT to become Jaguar VP of marketing. So far no announcement on a replacement for Scarpello @ SVT

JAGUAR NORTH AMERICA ANNOUNCES NEW VICE PRESIDENT OF MARKETING

IRVINE, Calif., Nov. 15, 2004 - Jaguar North America today announces that Tom Scarpello is appointed vice president of Marketing, effective immediately. Scarpello will report to C.J. O'Donnell, executive vice president, marketing and sales for Jaguar North America. Scarpello replaces George Ayres, who was the subject of a previous announcement.

"We are very enthusiastic about Tom joining our team. Tom has made significant contributions to the Ford performance team," commented C.J. O'Donnell. "His extensive automotive experience will be a great compliment to Jaguar's executive management team."

Prior to this current appointment, Scarpello was the marketing and sales manager for the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT), a position he held since September 1998. Scarpello worked for Ford of Mexico from 1996 through 1998 as strategic planning manager and has also held positions within the Lincoln Mercury Division.

Scarpello holds a Master of Business Administration from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, and a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Georgia.