2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Suggestions on replacement tires.

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/11, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Suggestions on replacement tires.

I'm finally at the point where I'm replacing my stock BFG's. I've been looking at Nitto Nt555, Toyo T1R, Sumitomo Htrz II, Goodyear F1 GS D3's among others.

I was all set thinking about getting the Nt555's, because they seem to get great reviews, but on a lot of forums I've been trolling they keep getting negative comments.

My GT is a daily driver, not a track beast. So I want something to take corners hard, that I can light up every once in a while, and can take wet weather here and there.

I was thinking about going with 255/45/18's as a replacement for the original tires for better traction.

Can I get some advice? I like the price of the Nt555's, but if they really aren't that great, I'll buy something else. I'd rather not spend more than 200 a tire if possible.
Old 2/28/11, 10:25 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my Toyo Proxes 4. They can handle turns decently enough, handle wet water/snow without trying to kill me and they don't look too bad.

I've always heard good things about the 555's.
Old 2/28/11, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a full set of sumitomos. I do have aftermarket rims though. But the sumitomos hold the road on wet and dry really well. I wouldnt know about snow because i keep it garaged for the winter.
Old 2/28/11, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

why would you get the nitto 555's over the invo's?

even on nitto's own website, it shows that the invo is the better tire.
Old 3/1/11, 12:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Stick with bf goodrich
Old 3/1/11, 05:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I didn't have much luck with my toyo proxy 4's and toyo doesn't seem to stand behind their tires so well at least for me they didn't. kumo's wear a little to quickly for me also. I just picked up a set of hankooks v12's nice tire but they don't like the cold to much. I have only had them for a short time tho. I like hankook tires in general I have a different set on my other car and like them alot. They are all season tires tho.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 3/1/11, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Get a new set of GT-500 wheels and rims off of ebay for $1000.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Fo...Q5fAccessories

IF you purchase $800 worth of tires, it will cost you another $200 to mount, balance, install, taxes, environmental fees, etc.

The ebay way is better, and the rims you can install yourself, instead of some teen at a discount tire place.
Old 3/1/11, 09:37 AM
V6 Member

LOVING my Continentals!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=
Old 3/1/11, 10:42 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to threadjack..

Glenn, what kind of problems did you have with the Proxes 4? I'd like to know the downside from another user of them since i've put maybe 5k miles on mine since i've had them. I'm still trying to be nice to them...
Old 3/1/11, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I replaced my original stock BFG's with 37k on them with Goodyear Eagle GT High Perfomance All Seasons as i do live in New England. From the moment I got them I loved the way the car ('07 GT/CS) handled. The wet traction is great with no real spin in the rain, I also drive in the winter and they are not bad in the snow. i do not take it for the deep stuff 6+ inches. I had the car on the oval track as well as dragstrip at Mustang Week last year & it performed great.

Good luck in your quest as there are many to choose from as well as many opinions.
Old 3/2/11, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
Sorry to threadjack..

Glenn, what kind of problems did you have with the Proxes 4? I'd like to know the downside from another user of them since I've put maybe 5k miles on mine since i've had them. I'm still trying to be nice to them...
picked up a set of proxy 4's and my car started vibrating. Transferred those wheels and tires to the rear of the car and it went away for the most part. ok re-balance the wheels/tires to no avail. Swapped the tires and wheels to my other mustang and the same thing happened. Took them to another shop for a re-balance, no help. Contact toyo they said they wouldn't help me no warranty on performance tires, but they had me take the tires to a shop of their choice for inspection anyway. The shop owner contacted toyo and got them to give me a 15% discount on a new tire and that I would need to send the old tires to toyo at my cost. I ended up replacing the toyo's with the general uhp's and the problem was solved. I liked the generals alot. Great tire.

I say buy tires that have a milage warranty or at least buy replacement insurance for them. That way if you think you have a bad tire just slice the side wall and have it replaced. lol
Old 3/2/11, 08:15 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can buy and get all kinds of reviews, including owner reviews, on all tires at www.tirerack.com.
Old 3/2/11, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 24FAN
We replaced the tires on my wife's Edge with Continentals (sold at the Ford dealership). I've been really pleased with them. I plan to replace my stock BFG tires this spring and will look at them.
Old 3/3/11, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow. I really like the deal on those GT500 take-offs. 285's on my rear end would make me smile Not extremely fond of those rims, but like was said earlier, can't beat the deal.

I've never been fond of the tread pattern on the Nitto Invo's, so that was why I hadn't really considered it. Yes, I like things to look the way I want em and be functional. I'm so picky! lol

Anyone have any experience with the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec that did so well in that Car & Driver test?

Lastly, anyone know of a trusted source for Toyo Proxes 4's or T1R's online? Discount tire and Tirerack don't seem to have em.
Old 3/3/11, 09:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

discount tire told me they would order me some proxy4's a while back but they didn't really like selling them.
Old 3/3/11, 11:47 AM

I've been running the NT555 Extreme's for a few months now. Running 255/35/20 frnt; 275/35/20 rear with ZERO complaints.

Did PLENTY of research and reading customer reviews. Biggest complaint was less-than-desirable wet traction. I've had no issues with this. It rarely rains in Vegas. The few times it has, I've taken corners "spiritedly" with no problems.

Dry traction is awesome. Had the wheels/tires on for a couple of days with the stock suspension and was absolutely amazed at the difference they made. Once the car was lowered 1.5" though... HOLY COW. It's like driving on rails.
Old 3/3/11, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bfg is a better tire than the nittos
Old 3/3/11, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Everett
Bfg is a better tire than the nittos
While I'm sure your post is an informed one, wouldn't it be more beneficial to to provide some background, sources, or personal experience? Which BFGs? Under what conditions? What uses?

Simply saying, "A is better than B" without reason doesn't help anyone who might be looking for information.
Old 3/3/11, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mackitraz

Anyone have any experience with the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec that did so well in that Car & Driver test?
265-18s Direzza Star Specs will be my next set of tires that I purchase for my other 18" rims. But they will be for Auto-x only for STX class of SCCA.
They are GREAT tires. But they cost some good money.
I could swap you some Ford 18" OEM Bullet rims for the GT 500 rims, if you like them better, and pay for the swap labor.

Last edited by The Reverend; 3/3/11 at 02:56 PM.
Old 3/4/11, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Looking at getting tires now. I need to put a 315/35/20 on the back.....So its the Nitto's 05's or the Cont Extreme CP's. Due to the pricing, I may get the Conts. I do live in Miami, but I am hearing and reading good things about them.

Heard that they are good for rain, and it does that a lot here in S. Florida. Do anyone know how the Nitto's 05 preform in the rain ? COmming from a set of 555's

Quick Reply: Suggestions on replacement tires.