2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

A suggestion for those yet to order...

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/05, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought some of you might be interested in this info, found at http://www.news-medical.net/?id=3655: After reading it, I really wanted to put the word out there for everyone, so at least they are aware of it. If you don't agree, that's cool; if you don't agree with those who don't agree, that's cool too. Just be nice.

"Occupants of automobiles involved in side-impact crashes are three times more likely to suffer a traumatic brain injury than people involved in head-on or other types of collisions, according to a University of Rochester study published online for the August edition of Annals of Emergency Medicine.

Lead author Jeffrey Bazarian, M.D., MPH, also found that brain injuries from side-impact crashes are usually more severe. Bazarian and colleagues analyzed a sample of all crashes reported by police to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for the year 2000 to determine the relative risk for brain injuries. Bazarian is an attending physician in the Strong Memorial Hospital Emergency Department who has been studying several aspects of brain trauma. Three years ago the National Institutes of Health funded him to start the nation’s first Emergency Department-based registry of traumatic brain injuries.

Other key findings from the NHTSA analysis:

* Traumatic brain injury is the cause of death in 51 percent to 74 percent of single-vehicle side collisions, and 41 percent to 64 percent of multiple vehicle side-impact crashes.
* Better head protection could reduce all crash-related brain injuries by up to 61 percent, and fatal or critical brain injuries by up to 23.5 percent. In raw numbers, that would translate into 2,230 fewer deaths or critical injuries each year.
* Crashes on the side of a vehicle cause 10,000 deaths each year in the United States.

“We believe our study results are important for drivers, emergency responders, automakers and legislators, who rely on accurate information about the risks associated with motor vehicle crashes, Bazarian says. “If the sides of cars can be made as safe as the front, many fatal and non-fatal brain injuries could be prevented. Increasing the number of vehicles with side air bags that protect the head would be an important step in the right direction.”"
Old 3/16/05, 09:37 AM

Have you (or has anyone else) gotten insurance quotes with and without front side impact airbags? My insurance agent (AAA) said it would make no difference. I will call a few more when the time comes, but I was surprised by this.
Old 3/16/05, 10:30 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Drift, good info.

Joey, I too have AAA. They were more concerned with the vehicle being equipped with some kind of tracking system for the alarm. They asked if it was equppied with Driver and Passanger front bags, but didnt care about FSA. When I first contacted them I thought my car was going to have them, so I made sure to tell them, and thier response was "cool." Didnt change my premuims one bit.
Old 3/16/05, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@March 16, 2005, 11:33 AM
Drift, good info.

Joey, I too have AAA. They were more concerned with the vehicle being equipped with some kind of tracking system for the alarm. They asked if it was equppied with Driver and Passanger front bags, but didnt care about FSA. When I first contacted them I thought my car was going to have them, so I made sure to tell them, and thier response was "cool." Didnt change my premuims one bit.
Insurance industry isn't about promoting safety they are about the bottom line. When it comes down to it side-impact air bags won't reduce the amount of money they pay out in medical since most limits are going to be paid out regardless.
Old 3/16/05, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, insurance aside, I got side airbags with my car. I had a good friend become a quadraplegic after being T-boned by a drunk who went through a red light. He just passed away a year ago due to complications, and he would have been one of the first to get a ride in my '05, one way or another.

Side air bags may not give complete protection, but they have to help.
Old 3/16/05, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by HeHateMe@March 16, 2005, 9:40 AM
Have you (or has anyone else) gotten insurance quotes with and without front side impact airbags? My insurance agent (AAA) said it would make no difference. I will call a few more when the time comes, but I was surprised by this.
AAA doesn't offer discounts for that or a few other things. I was surprised as well. But it's hard to beat their reliability.
Old 3/16/05, 12:20 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Allen, for the most part, have had no trouble with AAA. I have had them on and off since I started driving... gods help me, that was 20 years ago! However, when they mess something up, they do it big! LOL

We tried to see if we could lower rates with someone else, and they couldnt be beat. Plus, thier good driver discounts are outstanding.
Old 3/16/05, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why would you need side airbags
Old 3/16/05, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is it wrong that i'm trying to send this down the same road as the last thread?
Old 3/16/05, 12:26 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Yes, Stoic, it is, and I am going to kick your behind if you dont stop. Or, I just might point my finger at you... :P
Old 3/16/05, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

owned by the mod.
Old 3/16/05, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by stoic21@March 16, 2005, 1:26 PM
Why would you need side airbags
Because the French government recommends them.
Old 3/16/05, 01:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Lmao, god i needed that

My sincere apologies to anyone my thoughtless (but really funny) comments may have offended. have a good day.
Old 3/16/05, 01:16 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Dear Goddess, someone opened the door for Stoic.

CLOSE IT FAST!
Old 3/16/05, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh and if any French people visit this board.............. I've met the French and just like Harry said " the French are very nice individuals with a good taste in wine and cheese"
Old 3/16/05, 01:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 3/16/05, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

Remember the old arguments about seat belts? "but what if you go off a bridge and are caught under water and you cannot unlatch the seat belt and drown?!"

Alot of people have air bag horror stories, mainly because having the air bag work as designed doesn't make a very excitting story. I hit a car doing 40mph who decided to pull left about a car length infront of me. If you've ever been in an accident you know how time seems to slow down, I remember everything about the impact. Thinking "oh man I'm gonna hit this guy, whats he thinking?" Watching the front of my car crumple as it smashed into his car and thinking "well that wasn't that bad." I did not notice the air bags popping, and the inpact was really big but only felt like a really violent roller coaster jolt until the adrenaline wore off.

Felt Like an elephant had stepped on my chest and someone tried to unscrew my head from my neck but I was alive, no broken bones, no cuts, only mild whip lash and a small burn on my wrist from the air bag.

Needless to say, I understand that even if I am carefull and attentive, I am only one of hundreds of people I will encounter in my daily driving. I am a big air bag fan. To me If I could only afford one option, it would be air bags.

They should be standard in ALL cars, only rear passenger air bags should be optional.
Old 3/16/05, 01:52 PM
V6 Member

HeHateMe - my carrier, USAA, recommended them and it made my premium go down. Now, I am yet to get the car, but that is what they told me to make sure I ordered them.
Old 3/16/05, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think that the side airbags may make a good flotation device, other than that they are a waste...LOL

Old 3/16/05, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

i'm waiting for that cool foam that they used in demolition man

Quick Reply: A suggestion for those yet to order...