2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Sueing Ford....

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/08 | 04:07 PM
Cobra Member

First, I agree with Pitch Black...if something is under warranty, and that warranty is still valid, then the part(s) should be replaced. I would suggest a certified letter (return receipt) to the dealer general manger, and to Ford. Advise them, nicely, that you are dissatisified and are going to file a complaint with the BBB for their failure to provide warranty support, IAW their own contract. Be sure to quote the paragraph out of the warranty book, and give them the page number to support your claim.

Then, if the problem is not corrected, file a complaint with the BBB (this is free and can be done on line). I did this with a flooring company, and it got immediate results. The BBB jumped right on them. Within a week, problem solved.

With that said, my GT/CS is 11.5 Months old, with 7400 miles on the odometer. The battery was fine until two weeks ago when the temps dropped below zero for several days. It did not die, but the solinoid would click two or three times before she would actually start...low battery, and not good for the starter.

I did some reading on this, and discovered it's not just Ford. All newer cars with electronic brains, etc., seem to be experiencing problems when the cars sit for more then two weeks or so.

I purchased a battery maintainer, plugged her up, and no problems since, even when it hit 19 below (the car is garaged, and not driven in snow).

I know this is frustrating, and wish you luck. By the way a battery maintainer can be purchased for $15-20.00. Cheap insurance. Sorry for the long post, Iam old and get carried away...
Old 2/1/08 | 08:42 PM
V6 Member

I understand everyones frustration with this problem,its definately a car issue not a battery concern. I park my 90 and 06 side by side and the 06 will be dead while the 90 is just fine .I know its a pain ,but the easy awnser is disconnect the battery when the car is in storage or not going to be driven,resetting the radio presets is a small price to pay to save the battery as far as im concerned. As far as the warranty is conserned the original battery is covered under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty only and the prorated warranty coverage only applies to replacement batterys not original equipment .I know that it may say it is prorated in the manual ,but being a service manager and having seen allot of owners manuals ,i can tell you there is allot of information in some of them thats not 100% right . Your best bet is calling the customer relationship center and discussing your concern with them calmly ( they do not work directly for ford ) , i have seen many occasions where ford has contacted me offering assistance to customers.
Old 2/2/08 | 12:45 AM
GT Member

all Ford would do anyway is replace the battery with the same kind.. which will die again.

just buy a new battery and let it be.
Old 2/7/08 | 11:24 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by Pitch Black
Well I think we all know about how the 05-08 Ford Mustang's are having some issues with the batteries setting for a couple to a few days and they want to kill over. So it hasn't quite been 3 years since i bought my car. April of 2008 will be 3 years; although i have met the 36,000 Miles Warranty for the Bumper-to-Bumper. So i was checking in the handbook b/c my battery wants to die if it sets 2 days without being drove, to see what it said about the Battery Warranty.
According to my Owner's Manual Books, the Battery has a 3 Year Free Replacement Warranty and Prorated for 100 Months, Unlimited Miles.
I contacted my Ford Dealership and they were saying that it was covered with the Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Well the called Ford to make sure and Ford was saying "yes only vaild up to 3 years or 36k miles". The handbook didn't say anything about 36k but it said Unlimited Miles. We called Ford directly and talked to them and they were saying that our Warranty started in November of 2004. We told them that the Warranty didnt' start till we purchased the car in April of 2005. (Car was not ordered). So we told them that we would see them in court since they didn't want to live up to their word.

Ford has a major problem with all the Ford Mustangs and their batteries killing over. And one way to make this addressed is to make Ford Realize this. All I wanted was my battery replaced;

So I was wondering what everyones thought is on this??

The battery warranty falls under the vehicles new car warranty, The part you read was in the maint guide under replacement parts... so if you purchase a battery thats the warranty you would get... got it good. have fun with you law suit.....
Old 2/7/08 | 12:24 PM

Just a couple of items:

1. Our cars draw power all the time if you have the Shaker stereo.
2. Factory batteries are not the best in world. They normally last long enough to get past the original warrenty period of the car.
3. Buy yourself a battery tender/manager. If you let your car sits for a few days or longer, plug it in. The battery tender/manager only charges the battery to full charge and keeps it there. It only turn on if the battery goes down a little then shuts back off. They even have quick connects if you like.
Old 2/7/08 | 01:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

My car, w/ a Shaker 500, just sat for 4 days, outside, in the snow, without being started with no problem at all. Yea, no active anti-theft, but almost 23,000 miles.
Old 2/7/08 | 02:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

That 05 I told you about with the radio problem and the battery going dead update Ford replace the shaker500 and the battery. did you try to find a service center that sell Ford batterys ?
Old 2/7/08 | 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you serious....... come on buddy. First learn proper english then type out a well thought argument.

You won't win anyone over if you sound like a fool.

And all this over a battery? Why don't you call Reverand Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton and lets make this a race issue somehow.

Give me a F**kin break.

Also, does Ford manufactur the battery? No....... So why don't you file your complaint against whoever that company is.
Old 2/7/08 | 09:52 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by TKEUofM
Are you serious....... come on buddy. First learn proper english then type out a well thought argument.

And all this over a battery? Why don't you call Reverand Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton and lets make this a race issue somehow.

Give me a F**kin break.

Also, does Ford manufactur the battery? No....... So why don't you file your complaint against whoever that company is.
Oh, the irony.
Old 2/7/08 | 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Oh, the irony.
And what is that supposed to mean?

You can't seriously agree with that guy. Who knows why his battery is dying. Maybe he left his lights on one time and killed the battery and now it's weaker. Hundreds of different things could lead to that.

But to call out Ford the way he did and bring up law suit. Let's be real.

That is exactly what's wrong with America right now. Nobody has the ***** anymore just to suck it up and deal with little problems. They want to cry and blame it one someone else.

Same reason why they close schools when we get 1-2 inches of snow on the ground.... because school administrators are scared that there is some remote chance that a bus could get into an accident and then there will be 50 lawsuits against the district from sue happy parents.

Just like George Carlin said.... "it's the pussification of America"

But that's just my opinion..... I could be wrong..........
Old 2/7/08 | 10:17 PM
I lust for a M24

And what is that supposed to mean?
It means the irony that you start off by bashing someone's English, but have spelling and grammar errors in your post.

Then you state "You won't win anyone over if you sound like a fool."

Then you bring up race, and can't get through the next sentence without a misspelling and then turn to using swear words.

Also, more misspelling as you rant on.

Lord knows I'm not a spelling and grammar **** on the internet, but I find the irony of your post humorous.

It doesn't matter at this point. This thread has long outlived it's usefulness.
Old 2/7/08 | 10:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I can sort of understand your logic, but honestly it wouldn't be worth my time personally to file a lawsuit.

I mean, if you can afford to keep gas in it nowadays, I'm sure a battery isn't really that much of a stretch, right?
Old 2/7/08 | 10:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by uberPony
it's a battery.
It is a consumable
get over it - buy a yellow to Optima and go on with life
The pointis as stated The battery is covered & Ford cheaping out on it ? Now there lays an issue,, Yes I'd buy better, but when you pay more for it, well by **** they should buck up , if all said to be true ? and if so Shame on Ford that other brand looks better all the time now ???? My 07 GT/CS runs as sweet as my old 05 GT I still love it BTW
Old 2/8/08 | 03:24 AM

Wow.. For a battery your going to take time off from work, go file in small claims, then take more time off from work and attend the "trial"?? Your point may or may not be valid, I haven't put said battery through a charge/cycle test, so it may actually be defective, nor have I examined it to see if it has water in it and the plates aren't sulfated from being run down/low on water, but hey, I'll tell ya what: PM me a shipping addy and I'll send ya at no charge the battery out of my brand new, less then 100 miles Bullitt.. Which BTW was perfect after leaving the car sit with the the alarm on for 1.5 weeks (and setting the alarm off 3 times while fondling the car)..
Let me know, the mod itch is upon me, an Optima might slow it down for a few more weeks..

Err, and oh yeah: I'd be way more concerned about the premature warranty activation then a battery issue.. My dealer would be in the frying pan on that one...
Old 2/8/08 | 04:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Give me a F**kin break.

My Version:
First of all let me clear this up... this is a message board... i could care less how my grammar and spelling is... i don't proof read what i type here, and i' not going to check it for every little error; i hate punks like you... all you want to do is bash bash bash... why don't you quit trying to pick on peeps on the internet and get a life.

English Version:
First of all let me say this, this is a message board. I could care less if my spelling, punctuation and grammar is incorrect. While sitting at my computer typing on this forum, I do not go back and proof read my pages to see what grammatical errors need to be corrected. I really dislike people like you, all you enjoy is bashing people for irrelevant stuff. Here is my suggestion for you, TKEUofM, get off the internet go make some friends and hang out with them so you will not have so much hate built up and take it out on other members of this message board.
Thanks,
----------
second of all i'm not going to take ford to court... After doing some more research i found the problem check out my new post...
Will link soon:
Old 2/8/08 | 04:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

READ!!! Those with Battery Issues

Alright i have been having some of the same problems nearly everyone else have been having with the battery dieing after a short period of time. My car has picked up a whining noise which we thought would either be the alternator or the water pump. So today I went to a local shop and let them check it out and rebuild if necessary. Turns out don't quote me on this but the my alternator is suppose to put out 130-140 amps and according to the guy who rebuilt the alternator said it was only pushing 45 amps. how my car continued to run i have no idea.
He said that the diodes were burnt up. The part that to fix it was $50 and he only charged me $30 for labor; had my car back in about an hour. I can def. tell a difference in my car, the subs hit harder since i've been having probs with my car. They were hitting hard before but you can tell a noticeable difference.
So not saying this is wrong with all the mustang's that are having battery issues, but it def. would be something to look into. The mechanic said he didn't know how my battery light was constantly on.

Although the whining noise isn't gone, it sloved one problem, i bought a water pump today and going to install it tomorrow if weather permits.

Note:
My Mustang is a 2005 4.0L
Purchased in May of 2005
Warranty has expired with 60k on the car.
I have changed oil around 3k miles each time.
I take care of this car like it was my child..
Old 2/8/08 | 04:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So, I guess the law suet is off?
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=76724
Old 2/8/08 | 04:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

already posted that...
Old 2/8/08 | 05:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sure enough, sorry my notifications haven't worked in over a month
Old 2/8/08 | 07:43 PM
I Have No Life