2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Sueing Ford....

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/08, 10:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, a whole lot of trouble for what you could just fix yourself for less $$ then one decent hand of blackjack. Dealer should of long ago replaced it, and its not a problem with ALL Mustangs, it rarely comes up with the thousands that rolll through here. I've never even heard it mentioned on anything other then one that sat on the lot for months before it was sold and then we just put a new battery in it.

Someone got the in service date wrong for your car, it should start from day of original owner's buyers order. I have 2006 work trucks that are 670 days old, the day they sell, THEN the warranty starts. Did you ever just take it to another dealer? If I had a new car and the battery went dead 2 days later, 2 days later I would have a new battery??? Get your in-service date fixed too. You may be able to sue whoever effed that up, I can't see it being hard to fix with basic documentation of when you bought the car though. If it was ordered in, the invoice probably post-dates the warranty start date. Only time I have ever seen them screw up the in-service date is if someone bought the car and the deal falls through weeks later. Usually it doesn't even get considered sold untill all monies are accounted for in the first place.

EDIT: Car was NOT ordered? run a carfax on it and get a copy of the OASIS from the service department.
Old 1/31/08, 10:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese302
i would just go get myself an optima dry cell and call it a day.
We had problems with the factory installed Optimas in our Ford GT supercars. If they sat in our showroom too long, the Optima would go dead, and it is a royal PITA to gain access to the battery in the front compartment of a Ford GT, so we ended up keeping a trickle charger on any Ford GT's in our inventory.

So, point is, it is not just a Mustang problem, and not just a regular battery problem. It is more an issue with all the parasitic items in a modern car that need power even when the car is turned off.

By the way, I've owned my 07 GT for 16 months now and never had a single problem with my battery, so it would be generalizing to say that all Mustangs have bad batteries. I don't have the anti-theft system, and I turn off all accessories before turning off my car each and every time.
Old 1/31/08, 10:41 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you are over the 36000 mile part of the Warranty so why would the dealer replace your battery under Warranty.
Just buy a new battery.
Old 1/31/08, 10:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i too say to just buy a battery and be happy with the car...

i understand the principle of it, and would be upset about it too. but some things are just not worth the money or the hassle
Old 1/31/08, 11:17 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
If you have paperwork that states the battery should be covered...and/or the warranty date is incorrect from when you bought the vehicle I would suggest going into the dealer and personally seeing the General Manager...the GM pays his managers to keep problems off HIS desk and he will be your top of the food chain. Be nice and explain why you are upset and show him why and see where that gets you....threats will get you nowhere usually and use that as a last resort but don't expect them to all of the sudden change their mind.

The BBB is a waste of time....they have no power and affect nothing. The BBB exists to extort money from businesses ONLY to get a recommendation from them IF that business is a member of the BBB....they cannot force the dealership or Ford for that matter to do a thing. They will send a letter stating they have a complaint and ask for a resolution but they can do no more than that.

The bottom line with a lawsuit with Ford is that they have the deeper pockets and even though you may have a case...in the end it really isn't worth all the aggravation.

You can also call the Customer Service number if you are unhappy with a dealer....they have to satisfy a certain rating of customer service so they don't like getting complaints directly to Ford.
Old 1/31/08, 12:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my 2006 GT for over 2 years and 0 problems with the battery. I was away for 5 days and I didn't drive the car for over 2 weeks. Went to my folks to get the car (I keep it at my dad's garage). Started right up, 1st time. And I have the AAT!! Heck, I've left the map lights on inside, and the next morning, the car started right up. I'm with the others who said, go buy a new battery and move on.
Old 1/31/08, 12:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I've had my 2006 GT for over 2 years and 0 problems with the battery. I was away for 5 days and I didn't drive the car for over 2 weeks. Went to my folks to get the car (I keep it at my dad's garage). Started right up, 1st time. And I have the AAT!! Heck, I've left the map lights on inside, and the next morning, the car started right up. I'm with the others who said, go buy a new battery and move on.
+1. Everything but the shaker amp in mine (I have the shaker 500). 23,000 miles, several weeks (vacations) without use - always starts right up. Maybe it's the shaker amp as someone mentioned. Not lawsuit worthy, IMO.
Old 1/31/08, 02:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I would say that even if it is free to file the suit it's not worth the hassle. If I have to pay $60-80 or even $100 on a good battery it is still cheaper than my time would be worth to go threw the hassle.
Old 1/31/08, 02:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I had that battery issue. A lawsuit never entered my mind. Not worth the hassle. I just threw an Optima in there and went on with my life.
Old 1/31/08, 05:40 PM
GT Member

Just sold my CJ7 Jeep with an 8 year old Interstate Battery.Sometimes you get a good one sometimes not.
Old 1/31/08, 05:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by xtoolmaker
Just sold my CJ7 Jeep with an 8 year old Interstate Battery.Sometimes you get a good one sometimes not.
Most Interstates are good though.
I've gotten more than 8 years out of them and more than 1 vehicle.
Old 1/31/08, 05:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had an 05 Mustang in today with a battery problem and I found the shaker 500 to be the problem when the battery weak the cd load mec. kept loadind also the amp draw was high! If it is a motorcraft battery with 100 mo. warrentee find an outside shop that sell that battery and they will adjust it for you. Hope this helps?
Old 1/31/08, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitch Black
Well I think we all know about how the 05-08 Ford Mustang's are having some issues with the batteries setting for a couple to a few days and they want to kill over. So it hasn't quite been 3 years since i bought my car. April of 2008 will be 3 years; although i have met the 36,000 Miles Warranty for the Bumper-to-Bumper. So i was checking in the handbook b/c my battery wants to die if it sets 2 days without being drove, to see what it said about the Battery Warranty.
According to my Owner's Manual Books, the Battery has a 3 Year Free Replacement Warranty and Prorated for 100 Months, Unlimited Miles.
I contacted my Ford Dealership and they were saying that it was covered with the Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Well the called Ford to make sure and Ford was saying "yes only vaild up to 3 years or 36k miles". The handbook didn't say anything about 36k but it said Unlimited Miles. We called Ford directly and talked to them and they were saying that our Warranty started in November of 2004. We told them that the Warranty didnt' start till we purchased the car in April of 2005. (Car was not ordered). So we told them that we would see them in court since they didn't want to live up to their word.

Ford has a major problem with all the Ford Mustangs and their batteries killing over. And one way to make this addressed is to make Ford Realize this. All I wanted was my battery replaced;

So I was wondering what everyones thought is on this??
I don't know how they \can argue with this
Old 1/31/08, 10:13 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Dude I would try another dealer Its pretty obvious your still under the 3 years according to your owners maunal. I hate this stuff. I'm a builder in Texas and we warranty all kinds of crap we shouldn't just to be safe and keep good customer satisfaction and referals. Sometimes I feel we do way too much for way too long, but we've decided its very important to have satisfied customers who won't bad mouth you, well some will anyway, but then again some people just aren't happy period. Try somewhere else, but I don't think I would sue, Iprobably would have said hey I got almost 3 years out of it and what the hell I'd rather have a better one, than one that may be defective like so many others on this site.
Old 1/31/08, 10:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There seems to be some confusion about my post. Several of you all keep telling me to call Ford's Warranty Hotline. That is what we did after talking to the dealer; FORD Hotline said my Warranty started in November, not the dealer, they were only telling us that Ford wasn't going to approve for a new battery;
For those who keep saying buy a new battery; one I'm a college student and my cash flow isn't at a peak so spending nearly $200 for an optima battery is not so easy right now and why purchase a battery when your entitled to one by your contract. B/c to my understanding most other batteries start doing the same thing in a short period of time. Really don't want that hassle.
If a battery has a 3 year warranty, this means the battery's life should last at least 6 months to a year after the warranty has expired.

Some think it is stupid to make Ford stick to their contact... Some agree that we should make Ford keep their word. You better believe if Ford had something in the contract that you were not allowed to do or must do and they seen you not doing it or doing it; that they would either force you to settle or sue you;

I understand everyone's point of few pro's and con's to both sides; but i'm not sue happy, just wanting to get the max out of my contract; Ford Promised all mustang owner's what was stated in their contracts and in the owner's manual so why shouldn't we enforce it?

oh well everyone is different and has their own opinion;

oh btw thanks for everyones input.
Old 1/31/08, 11:01 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Hey I wasn't trying to say your wrong, I just meant we go out of way on warranty to jerks who don't have a legit claim, where as you are gettin' screwed and yours is legit. And I know Ford would sure as hell sue to make me live up to my contract. So have at it, but I just would not have the energy to go through the trouble.
Old 2/1/08, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Im sorry but this thread is rediculous. You would rather sue which can end up costing you more than a $200 optima battery, plus the loss of time being in court. Stop crying and buy a battery. Why don't you sell you $461 axlebacks and buy a battery?
Old 2/1/08, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

"If a battery has a 3 year warranty, this means the battery's life should last at least 6 months to a year after the warranty has expired."

Is this some new fuzzy warranty logic that I haven't heard about yet?
Old 2/1/08, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ren274u
Im sorry but this thread is rediculous. You would rather sue which can end up costing you more than a $200 optima battery, plus the loss of time being in court. Stop crying and buy a battery. Why don't you sell you $461 axlebacks and buy a battery?

I have to agree with the above statement.
Old 2/1/08, 02:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fordboy97f150
mines been parked for 2 months and i jsut opened the door and started it yesterday for the first time since storage
No problems here either. I start my car every week to two weeks with no trouble at all. I dont think you should take them to court over some battery issue. Im sure even they would settle and just give you another battery just so they dont have to go through the hassle either. But who knows

Quick Reply: Sueing Ford....