Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Rocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/07, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Rocks!!

I cannot believe it! After 18 months of not one single rock chip on the whole car, one measley little stone got me this morning. It hit the windshield in the top right corner. Now not only do I have a chip, it has started to crack! The crack is already about 6 inches and growing toward the bottom center of the windshield! Grrrrr!!!! I just know (with my luck) when it get replaced they will scratch up my paint. Lord help them if they do!!!

I have never seen a windshield crack from one tiny little rock! What kind of crappy glass is Ford putting in these cars?
Old 1/25/07, 03:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
I cannot believe it! After 18 months of not one single rock chip on the whole car, one measley little stone got me this morning. It hit the windshield in the top right corner. Now not only do I have a chip, it has started to crack! The crack is already about 6 inches and growing toward the bottom center of the windshield! Grrrrr!!!! I just know (with my luck) when it get replaced they will scratch up my paint. Lord help them if they do!!!

I have never seen a windshield crack from one tiny little rock! What kind of crappy glass is Ford putting in these cars?
That sucks.
It is all in how the rock hits the glass. I have seen big rocks bounce off and little rocks shatter them, just depends. My brother had a small rock chip hit his pick-up window, it just chipped the outside layer but blew glass chips all over his dash from the inside layer. Was really weird.
Old 1/25/07, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks. At least it didn't hit, and dent, the hood or roof... now that really sucks.
Old 1/25/07, 05:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Make sure when you replace the windshield,you get the running pony logo which is near the top center of the window.I had to replace my windshield last year on the 06'GT and I didn't even see the pony on the original window
Old 1/25/07, 06:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've had 2 rock hits on my windshield, one on either side right at eye level. Neither cracked, I had the first one repaired by SafeLite. The second is about 5 months old and is not cracking or spreading at all. It is a nice little bullseye about the size of a dime. Insurance will repair it free, and I'll turn it in sometime soon. I'm waiting a while because I didn't want to turn in 2 hits in 3 months for fear they might raise my rates.
Old 1/25/07, 08:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would they scratch the paint? Pro installers do all kinds of vehicles, and Mustangs are on the low end of the price spectrum.
Old 1/26/07, 06:03 AM
GT Member

I feel your pain. Had to get mine replacedd because of a rock chip when my car was only 3 months old. Had a mobile service come right to where I work. $400 later it was good as new, with no injuries from the installer. Just choose a reputable one.
Old 1/26/07, 03:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC

I feel your pain Steve.... I went about a year with no chips, and then I got hit by a flying road turtle that someone drove over coming the opposite direction, and they hit it just right to cause it to flip up in the air & right into my front bumper and bounced up onto the hood. The hood rubbed out, but the bumper sustained a small dent (noticable if you're looking for it).
Old 1/26/07, 04:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Now THAT is something you don't see everyday...a flying road turtle!!
Old 1/26/07, 05:39 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Ouch... rough

Road Turtle?!? sorry, but I had to chuckle
Old 1/27/07, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Why would they scratch the paint? Pro installers do all kinds of vehicles, and Mustangs are on the low end of the price spectrum.
From past experience. I had a windshield replaced at a dealer on my new '85 Pontiac Grand Am (no flaming please). Six months later the windshield frame was rusting out. They obviously scratched the paint removing the old windshield and didn't bother touching it up. At least that made me come to my senses and trade it in on a new '87 Mustang GT.

Mustang at low end of price spectrum? Tell that to my bank account that got emptied by $33,127.47 !!
Old 1/27/07, 06:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, my Ford dealer has a deal with the local Safelite guy. He is a mobile installer only, and says he will replace the windshield (with Pony) for $350.00 installed. Does this sound about right?
Old 1/27/07, 06:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Road Turtle?
Old 2/22/07, 05:46 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had to bring back this thread.

Here's the story: It was 75 degrees here in upstate SC, so it seemed like a great day to wash and detail (I'm a Zaino guy) my 06 Tungsten GT (and it was!). Of course, I had to take it out for a ride. Long story short, as I was driving down one of the main drags here, an SUV in front of me throws up what I first think is a piece of tire. As I watch it travel towards me (it is coming at face level on the driver's side), it becomes clearer that it is not a piece of tire--it is a piece of asphalt the size of my fist! Nothing I could do to avoid it--it impacts the windshield with a very load "bang," and presumably flies over the roof and trunklid of the car. I was expecting to get a very up close and personal view of the road chunk(maybe in my forehead on in my lap), and that the damage to the windshield, roof, or trunk of the car was going to ruin my day. But there was absolutely nothing wrong with the windshield, and, upon examining it and the rest of the car after I arrived home a few minutes later, there was no damage at all--only a microscopic nick in the glass.

Again, as y'all had noted above, sometimes a small rock will do a lot more damage than a big one. In this case a big one bounced off the glass and did nothing but pucker my rear end a bit!
Old 2/22/07, 08:29 PM
V6 Member

I feel for you.

Mine didn't make it 2 months before i goy a spiderweb chip right in the middle of the windshield. Fortunately I drove directly to my auto glass shop and in under half an hour they fixed it. The insurance company picked up the entire tab as they didn't have to replace the windshield.

I've replaced the windshield on my Camaro 3 times, and fixed it more than double that, all at the same family run shop (lots of highway driving through construction zones) and never, ever had a problem.

Rule of thumb, if you can, get to your glass shop fast, before it travels as your insurance usually picks up the entire tab for a repair (way cheaper for them than replacing) and always use a reputable shop (maybe start asking around for one now... because it's only a matter of time).

Hope this helps someone...

Mike
Old 2/22/07, 09:46 PM

you should see my windshield and front end. I have at least 40 pits and chips because some moron drove his buddies trans am race car in hpde 2. he went off and threw rocks and sand all over the track. nowhere to go but straight thru it. im so ****ed.
Old 2/22/07, 11:31 PM
Cobra R Member

check your insurance and take it to a good place or dealership to have it replaced... then if they scratch the paint make them man uo to it, my insurance covers anything like that its called glass insurance came free with the policy happened twice in almost 10 yrs on my taurus and paid nothing, the second time the guy came to my house and did it in the drive way
Old 2/22/07, 11:42 PM

ive got you all beat. i had my car about 18hrs and when driving to work some freaking suburban throws a chunk of 18wheeler tire at me and nails the front bumper. left a big rub mark about 6 inches long. not noticeable really unless your looking for it. the next day im driving the same road and a rock nails the front of the hood right above the headlight and leaves a nice dent. couple days later i get two rocks in one day. both leave scratches about the size of a pea that went all the way to the metal.

I-10 has been rough on my baby.