2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Stupid 17 year old + Mustang = Crash

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/09, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by area5179
And people wonder why mustang owners get a bad rep. my question is how a 17 yr old has a new mustang in the first place.
Not that hard. I got a new 01 6 banger when I was 16 (my first car) that mommy and daddy didnt help me pay for. It did help that my dad was a branch manager for Ford Credit though...

Originally Posted by cntchds
I'm sick of the "kid-bashing" on this board. The only reason this is a story at all is because the person driving was 17. If he was 30 no one would even notice.
Agree to an extent. Most 30 year old would probably would know better than going 80 in a residential area, so i dont think that you would really see that.

Originally Posted by 06StangSC
His mommy and daddy probably regret buying him that mustang now. Stupid children.

There are however some kids that do well with cars. I had a GT when I was 19. Biggest difference? I paid for it my dam self. Sure as hell wouldnt be driving it like a retard.
I too got my first Gt at 18/19 or so, and paying for it gives you a better respect for your stuff your definately right. But let me ask you this...how do you not know he paid for it himself? You said mommy and daddy bought it for him...didnt you buy your first at a young age without mommy and daddys help?

Originally Posted by fdjizm
that's pretty obvious..i will still never stop bashing spoiled kids with overpowered cars who **** near kill them selves. and why should i?
Would you say all kids with nice cars are spoiled? even if they pay for them themselves?
Old 11/4/09, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[rant]
I'm 18, and there is nothing I like less than a kid who brags about the car their parents bought for them. People who don't have to put any money into their car do not invest any sense of ownership on it, and can not invest as much care into it as they could if it was their hard earned dollar used to purchase it.

Most of my friends laugh at me and tell me I drive like an old lady, and there's a good reason for that. I've invested basically every dollar I've earned into it since I was 15. Being it insurance, gas, or fun parts, I have paid for almost everything(I do have to borrow on occasion, which is paid back in full). I loathe the fact that people find it alright to endanger other people just for a thrill, it's not worth the other person's life.

I have always seen in my own experience that men do generally drive with a more precision hand than women. I do not really know why, but I feel that in general male drivers are more cautious than women no matter how fast they go. Out of my friends Arin and I are the only males who have been in an accident, while I couldn't count on my fingers and toes how many girls I know have been in an accident.

I agree whole heartedly with Adrian that teenage girls have to be the least attentive drivers on the road. When boys do mess up, though, they end up doing it much more spectacularly.

Lastly, I think the driving test to obtain a license is an absolute joke. People are not taught to respect their vehicle, or other people on the road. Driving is a privilege, and privileges do not offer equality, they should only be given to people who have gone out of their way to deserve them.

[/rant]
Old 11/4/09, 02:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottsVaporGT
Not that hard. I got a new 01 6 banger when I was 16 (my first car) that mommy and daddy didnt help me pay for. It did help that my dad was a branch manager for Ford Credit though...

Agree to an extent. Most 30 year old would probably would know better than going 80 in a residential area, so i dont think that you would really see that.

I too got my first Gt at 18/19 or so, and paying for it gives you a better respect for your stuff your definately right. But let me ask you this...how do you not know he paid for it himself? You said mommy and daddy bought it for him...didnt you buy your first at a young age without mommy and daddys help?

Would you say all kids with nice cars are spoiled? even if they pay for them themselves?
I never said all kids i said kids and spoiled means mommy bought it. so how did i include ALL kids?
Old 11/4/09, 02:36 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
[rant]
I'm 18, and there is nothing I like less than a kid who brags about the car their parents bought for them. People who don't have to put any money into their car do not invest any sense of ownership on it, and can not invest as much care into it as they could if it was their hard earned dollar used to purchase it.

Most of my friends laugh at me and tell me I drive like an old lady, and there's a good reason for that. I've invested basically every dollar I've earned into it since I was 15. Being it insurance, gas, or fun parts, I have paid for almost everything(I do have to borrow on occasion, which is paid back in full). I loathe the fact that people find it alright to endanger other people just for a thrill, it's not worth the other person's life.

I have always seen in my own experience that men do generally drive with a more precision hand than women. I do not really know why, but I feel that in general male drivers are more cautious than women no matter how fast they go. Out of my friends Arin and I are the only males who have been in an accident, while I couldn't count on my fingers and toes how many girls I know have been in an accident.

I agree whole heartedly with Adrian that teenage girls have to be the least attentive drivers on the road. When boys do mess up, though, they end up doing it much more spectacularly.

Lastly, I think the driving test to obtain a license is an absolute joke. People are not taught to respect their vehicle, or other people on the road. Driving is a privilege, and privileges do not offer equality, they should only be given to people who have gone out of their way to deserve them.

[/rant]
My thoughts exactly, and better than I could have put them down "on paper"
Old 11/4/09, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by fdjizm
I never said all kids i said kids and spoiled means mommy bought it. so how did i include ALL kids?
i know you didnt say all kids, it was just a simple question to you (you know...making conversation). But i guess what i was trying to say was how do you know who the "spoiled kids" are? Just because he drives a nice car means hes spoiled by your definition? You didnt clarify "kids+spoiled=parents purchased for them" in your post, so how was one to know what you were referring to?
Old 11/4/09, 02:47 PM

[rant]
When boys do mess up, though, they end up doing it much more spectacularly.
[/rant]
Sad but true...hey if we are going to do something stupid we might as well go big (as long as its not hurting others). lol
Old 11/4/09, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I know i will probably get bashed for this post but I have to say that I am 17 driving a vista blue v6 nearly exactly the same as the one in that video and i am not saying that all teens are good drivers, but a lot are. At my high school i feel like i could walk around and ask every girl there who drives if theyve ever been in a wreck and more than half would say yes. The only difference is that 100 girls who back out of the garage into their dads car is overshadowed by one stupid cocky guy that flips his car while speeding. Ive seen a kid flip a harley davidson f250 only to have it replaced by a lifted fx4 f150 and i completely agree with the fact that kids like him dont deserve sh*t. That specific kid is now at a community college and from kowing the kid probably in danger of failing out. I know it will probably make you all furious but his junior brother just got a challenger srt8. In my defense, i feel like i am not like these kids at all. I was given the car as a gift but i work at a local carwash and buy gas, insurance, and any mods. I also am a near straight A student with sat scores in the 95th percentile so though i have not worked enough at a money making job to pay for the car entirely on my own, I still feel to some extent that i have earned this gift. I still thank my parents everyday for it though..
Old 11/4/09, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
all the tow truck drivers I ve ever talked to have told me they tow 10 to 1 young female drivers. They told me those we dumber daddys girls who most were talking on a phone and t boned someone or some thing. Young males get a bad rap because when they do crash its a little more high profile.

I've been in two accidents in my life. Neither were my fault. Both were from high school girls. And no, I didn't know either of them.

Statistics are useless. They're numbers that happen on paper to other people. The other way to look at statistics, the more miles you have, the more likely you are to have an accident. If you're in your forties and have never had an accident, you should get off the road before you kill someone!

So at the end of the day, we have an idiot driving his car too fast? That's news? Wow. I see dozens of those every day. On the cell. Accidentally merging lanes. Didn't see people driving down the road. Misjudged timing. Age and experience are only the tip of the iceberg of the human condition. Drawing too much attention to kids driving poorly takes away attention from people driving poorly.
Just my lame opinions.
Worth half a penny for a score of 'em.
At most.
Old 11/4/09, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
I've been in two accidents in my life. Neither were my fault. Both were from high school girls. And no, I didn't know either of them.

Statistics are useless. They're numbers that happen on paper to other people. The other way to look at statistics, the more miles you have, the more likely you are to have an accident. If you're in your forties and have never had an accident, you should get off the road before you kill someone!

So at the end of the day, we have an idiot driving his car too fast? That's news? Wow. I see dozens of those every day. On the cell. Accidentally merging lanes. Didn't see people driving down the road. Misjudged timing. Age and experience are only the tip of the iceberg of the human condition. Drawing too much attention to kids driving poorly takes away attention from people driving poorly.
Just my lame opinions.
Worth half a penny for a score of 'em.
At most.
Good points. You brought up the topic of cell phones...lol the kid was probably texting. BTW if any of you are ever in summit county, Ohio a friend of mine just told me that texting was banned in our county. Just a friendly heads up.
Old 11/4/09, 03:21 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
If you txt and drive anywhere but when at a red light, then you're an idiot who doesn't deserve to be driving.
Old 11/4/09, 03:31 PM
GT Member

For all it's worth I am glad to have made it through my teens a dozen or so of my friends did not make it though.All died due to high speed crashes, usually on wet or winding roads.Some were spoiled rich kids but most were not.All just drove faster then their talent.For most everyone that survives will learn what their abilities behind wheel are and drive accordingly,
Old 11/4/09, 03:35 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottsVaporGT
Good points. You brought up the topic of cell phones...lol the kid was probably texting. BTW if any of you are ever in summit county, Ohio a friend of mine just told me that texting was banned in our county. Just a friendly heads up.
It's banned completely in MN. I don't know how people do it. I can't even talk on the phone. Besides, I'd rather be driving my mustang.

Last edited by Blue Notch; 11/4/09 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11/4/09, 03:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ive only gone 70 at US 281. Thats the speed limit. I never go past the speed limit by more than 5 mph.

And yes my Dad was there.

I'm very reluctant to drive at night or when its wet
Old 11/4/09, 03:51 PM
Cobra Member

So as a teen who gets straight As and works and doesn't drive like an idiot, you should be jumping on the bandwagon and pointing out the frequent idiocy that your compatriots demonstrate on a regular basis, and make sure you're never goaded into following their example. Driving license laws in this country are ridiculously inept, and if that means that supporting stricter laws (which will likely never appear) means that as a 17 year old you can't drive if you can't prove your competency, you should step up to the plate and say "test me, I'll pass." If you're not so confident in that, then you shouldn't be saying you're not a riskier driver than someone twice your age.

Unfortunately there are many drivers at both end of the age spectrum, and scads in the middle, who don't know a thing about safe driving, much less performance driving. But claiming somehow that you're not 'one of them' and complaining when others point out a frequently observed fact makes you sound even more childish.

I was a straight A, straight laced kid, but still did stupid things then (and quite less infrequently now) that I'm surprised I survived. But one year's experience driving doesn't remove anyone's suspicions of your competency, no matter how well behaved you usually are.

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 11/4/09 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11/4/09, 03:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DEPUTY62
i agree kid should lose his license 80 m.p.h. = lucky to be alive
I have seen people live doing well over 100 in newer cars in my town and I have to cut them out of their cars. Usually they have minor cuts and brusies. However these people aren't on their way to school, where theres kids everywhere in driveways and streets.
Old 11/4/09, 04:49 PM

Needless to say I was shocked when I saw that on the news the other night. 80mph on a highway, not a big deal... but on a residential rd in a neighborhood, you're just asking for trouble. He's one lucky kid.
Old 11/4/09, 05:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
I love the new feature Ford has incorporated into the Taurus where you can limit top speed. I'd say that feature will be in more and more vehicles and this is a perfect example of where a governed top speed of maybe 50 would've helped this not be so bad.
Yeah, The "MyKey" option should be available in the Mustang. Not only to keep kids out of trouble, but also to keep valets, car wash attendents and service techs from thrashing them.
Old 11/4/09, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
So as a teen who gets straight As and works and doesn't drive like an idiot, you should be jumping on the bandwagon and pointing out the frequent idiocy that your compatriots demonstrate on a regular basis, and make sure you're never goaded into following their example. Driving license laws in this country are ridiculously inept, and if that means that supporting stricter laws (which will likely never appear) means that as a 17 year old you can't drive if you can't prove your competency, you should step up to the plate and say "test me, I'll pass." If you're not so confident in that, then you shouldn't be saying you're not a riskier driver than someone twice your age.

Unfortunately there are many drivers at both end of the age spectrum, and scads in the middle, who don't know a thing about safe driving, much less performance driving. But claiming somehow that you're not 'one of them' and complaining when others point out a frequently observed fact makes you sound even more childish.

I was a straight A, straight laced kid, but still did stupid things then (and quite less infrequently now) that I'm surprised I survived. But one year's experience driving doesn't remove anyone's suspicions of your competency, no matter how well behaved you usually are.
I'd have to agree with you there... I bought my first car myself ('94 Thunderbird), and consider myself a very safe driver (I'm now 26 and never been in an accident). I always try to drive defensively (being proactive rather than reactive). Kind of like what fighter pilots say - "If you're reacting to what's around you - you're dead. You need to be thinking 10-steps ahead of what's happening at that moment).

Despite that I am guilty of doing stupid things when I was young. I don't think anyone here bought their mustang and never stepped on the gas a little. We're all guilty of that, and I dont' think there's anything wrong with it as long as you asses the risk. Think about where you are and who/what's around you. Doing 80mph down a residential street is RETARTED. You're putting other people in harms way, and not allowing any room for error (supposedly this kid got cut off and ran out of road to evade the car). That would obviously not have happened if he was doing the speed limit (or at least not to that extent of damage). The funny thing is despite my "need for speed" as a teenager, my parents would trust me behind the wheel over my sister any day. She used to hate when they said that, but like someone above mentioned, it just seems that a lot of girls get into less spectacular, but more frequent accidents. My own sister backed my mom's car into the neighbors SUV the first week she had a license! haha

I'm 26 now, and again, bought my GT with my hard earned money. I am very proud of what I've built it into, and take very good care or it. I'm 26 now, and there's still nothing I love more than stomping on that throttle and hearing the roar of my engine while I'm speeding by.... I mostly stick to the test & tune nights at the local track now for that rush. Not worth the risk of hurting me, my car, or someone else doing that stuff on the street. You never know what might be in the road that could send you crashing into something. Like some people said - don't bring others down with your stupidity.
Old 11/4/09, 05:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tsbird1994
RETARTED.
-- it's with two Ds, not two Ts.
Sorry, couldn't resist

Totally agree. When I was a teenager, brand new license, got my first speeding ticket and my parents laughed at me. Grounded my sisters for the same thing, though. (I also bought my first radar detector right afterwards, age 17.) But I was always a car guy, loved driving, took a great interest in it, and doing it well. Taken a long time to finally get on the track for more instruction and experience, but doing that now as well (HPDE at Pikes Peak this Saturday!).

Most teenagers see the car as their freedom, and ironically so do elderly people, and many of both shouldn't be on the road at all, at least not without more training. Same went for my sisters, and was the reason their driving mistakes were punished more severely. I knew when I screwed up, like nudging into a ditch on an enjoyable set of curves that happened to be a bit slick from the morning frost, and paid for the repairs. The number of fender-benders my sister had before age 21 I can't count, and she still has them to this day.
But very few 'bad drivers' ever realize or will admit to their inadequacies driving and yet they are taking every other motorists' lives in their hands on a daily basis (and sometimes the neighborhood couch potato, too, as in this case).
Old 11/4/09, 06:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
the only reason this is a story is because he was driving a mustang. I see this type of crash several times a year but it means nothing unless it a mustang. If it was a 30 year old driving that car I think we would all still be calling his a dumbazz

Quick Reply: Stupid 17 year old + Mustang = Crash