2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/04, 12:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by adrenalin+September 30, 2004, 12:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adrenalin @ September 30, 2004, 12:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BLAKE@September 30, 2004, 10:37 AM
Vinyl is lame. Do it right and paint it or forget it. JMO
Vinyl is lame :angry: I don't think so. Put it this way, I can stripe a car using vinyl and not void my warranty. If you get your striped painted on by anyone other than ford you just voided your paint/rust warranty. Remember they need to clear coat all panels that they paint stripes on. You think they are lame, explain why all cars, including mustangs that have stripes these days, such as the MACH 1 are all VINYL!!!! [/b][/quote]
Vinyl has it's place, but full length stripes is not one of those places. I've seen plenty of cars with vinyl that are only a couple years old and the vinyl is peeling off.

Q. Why do you have to clear coat every panel the paint is on?
A. Because you don't want the ugly seam where the stripes start.
But it's ok to have this unfinished seam as long as it's vinyl? I don't see it that way.

Who cares about a paint warranty if you're going to the trouble to customize it? This severely limits creativity. Plus, I don't see a Ford dealer honoring a paint warranty when you have the vinyl stripped off and have two nice bold stripes among the rest of the faded car.

And to use your argument against you, Ford doesn't even offer full length stripes because even they know full length vinyl stripes are lame.
Old 9/30/04, 12:53 PM
GT Member

Ford Told Dealers Waiting For The GT That Any Serialized Vehicle Would Be Built Faster Without The Painted Stripes. Demand For The Stripes Is Higher Than Anticipated.
I guess stripes are very popular!
Old 9/30/04, 01:19 PM
I'm people, and I like.

ok? let me get this straight

so youre telling me that the boss 302, and the rest of the amazing stangs have lame stripes because they are vinyl???

blasphemer!!!!!!!

Old 9/30/04, 01:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@September 30, 2004, 2:22 PM

so youre telling me that the boss 302, and the rest of the amazing stangs have lame stripes because they are vinyl???

blasphemer!!!!!!!
It was my understanding that this thread was about Shelby style "Le Mans" stripes.

Let me clarify:
Full length vinyl Shelby style Le Mans stripes are lame.

Like I said before:

Vinyl has it's place, but full length stripes is not one of those places.
Old 9/30/04, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

On the Shelbys the Le Mans stripes were painted on, the lower side racing stripes were vinyl, except on 65 GT 350s the side stripes were painted and the "GT 350" was vinyl.
Old 9/30/04, 11:10 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was non plussed by the photo of the dealer stripes (yellow with black stripes). True LeMans stripes cover the bumpers,

Here is my poor photoshop attempt at what the dealer stripes would look like on a white car with blue stripes.

While not as good as the full length stripes, to me it doesn't look that bad. I like this better than the original yellow car with the Black stripes.

Anyone with better photo shop skills is welcome to do right (illustrate what dealer stripes would look like in these colors)
Old 9/30/04, 11:45 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by BLAKE+September 30, 2004, 12:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BLAKE @ September 30, 2004, 12:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-thezeppelin8@September 30, 2004, 2:22 PM

blasphemer!!!!!!!
It was my understanding that this thread was about Shelby style "Le Mans" stripes.

Let me clarify:
Full length vinyl Shelby style Le Mans stripes are lame.

Like I said before:

Vinyl has it's place, but full length stripes is not one of those places.
[/b][/quote]
that was directed more towards Blake.
Old 10/1/04, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AFBLUE@September 30, 2004, 11:13 PM
I was non plussed by the photo of the dealer stripes (yellow with black stripes). True LeMans stripes cover the bumpers,

Here is my poor photoshop attempt at what the dealer stripes would look like on a white car with blue stripes.

While not as good as the full length stripes, to me it doesn't look that bad. I like this better than the original yellow car with the Black stripes.

Anyone with better photo shop skills is welcome to do right (illustrate what dealer stripes would look like in these colors)
I was under the impression that the dealer installed stripes would only be available in black and silver. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10/1/04, 08:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@October 1, 2004, 12:48 AM

Huh? Didn't I answer you? :scratch:
Old 10/1/04, 08:51 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by BLAKE+October 1, 2004, 7:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BLAKE @ October 1, 2004, 7:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-thezeppelin8@October 1, 2004, 12:48 AM

Huh? Didn't I answer you? :scratch: [/b][/quote]
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yea

you did ^_^
sorry, it was very late at night

good point
Old 10/1/04, 09:45 AM
GT Member

I paid 20 bucks for a roll of vinyl stripes for my Grand Prix. I think it's 20 ft per package. I found mine on Jc Whitney
Old 10/1/04, 10:00 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BLAKE@September 30, 2004, 12:39 PM

Vinyl has it's place, but full length stripes is not one of those places. I've seen plenty of cars with vinyl that are only a couple years old and the vinyl is peeling off.

Q. Why do you have to clear coat every panel the paint is on?
A. Because you don't want the ugly seam where the stripes start.
But it's ok to have this unfinished seam as long as it's vinyl? I don't see it that way.

Who cares about a paint warranty if you're going to the trouble to customize it? This severely limits creativity. Plus, I don't see a Ford dealer honoring a paint warranty when you have the vinyl stripped off and have two nice bold stripes among the rest of the faded car.

And to use your argument against you, Ford doesn't even offer full length stripes because even they know full length vinyl stripes are lame.
There is cheap vinyl and good vinyl. I am guessing you saw cars with the cheap stuff and most likely it was not applied properly. My 97 GT that I designed my own stripes for are still mint condition today. Same with stripes I put on my truck in 91 and a cavalier in 95. If you use the right vinyl then you will have no problems.

It is easier to see the seam when it is painted then it is with vinyl. Besides, if they didn't clear coat the entire top you would have overspray......

Ever hear of polishing a car? If you remove the stripes and the paint is faded anywhere you "polish" the car and all of a sudden, what's that, there is no longer a fade anywhere. It's like magic.

FORD most likely doesn't offer full length stripes because the amount of time it takes to apply them properly.
Old 10/12/04, 04:04 PM

this thread has been dead for a week or so...but...i do vinyl graphics, when i get my gt i plan on putting full length body stripes on it, if you use a high quality vinyl, it will never fade, chip, crack or peel...i mean, i thought bout paint then said if i get bored of them i can just take them off...im thinking of the dark charcoal with either black or white stripes...havent decided totally yet.
Old 10/12/04, 04:32 PM
Cobra Member

ok, a question for the pro vinyl guys(that's the guys who applied vinyl, not the pro-vinyl guys )

How hard do you think it would be for someone who hasn't applied vinyl to a car to do it? I've done models before(won a couple of 3rd place prizes at NIMO), but that was 1/24 the size B)

I'm mainly concerned about getting everything lined up...
Old 10/12/04, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05NJGT@October 12, 2004, 5:07 PM
this thread has been dead for a week or so...but...i do vinyl graphics, when i get my gt i plan on putting full length body stripes on it, if you use a high quality vinyl, it will never fade, chip, crack or peel...i mean, i thought bout paint then said if i get bored of them i can just take them off...im thinking of the dark charcoal with either black or white stripes...havent decided totally yet.
Post a pic when you get done. I want stripes on mine too.
Old 10/12/04, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

What colors would go good with torch red? Black and white would and most likely silver? Any other colors?
Old 10/12/04, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@October 1, 2004, 12:03 PM

Ever hear of polishing a car? If you remove the stripes and the paint is faded anywhere you "polish" the car and all of a sudden, what's that, there is no longer a fade anywhere. It's like magic.

Are you speaking from experience?

Because, from my experience removing vinyl strips after only two years, you cannot completely polish or rubout where the vinyl was removed. The ghost remains, angles of Sunlight change and the ghost appears. Hours of rubbing did no good.

And a flat piece of vinyl is very difficult to conform to multiple curves like the fascia and hold the width true to size. Vinyl is best applied to semi-flat surfaces.

Someone mentioned overspray. How do you have overspray if all other areas are covered?

I would paint mine.
Old 10/12/04, 06:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by clan0013@September 30, 2004, 1:23 AM

Check that out!!! :worship:

How were the Stripes applied on the 60s Shelby Mustangs? Painted or Striped? and by who, dealer or factory?
The stripes up over the top on the Shelbys were painted on as a dealer option. The stripes along the side rocker panels of the Shelbys were tape stripes on all years except the '65 GT350s were painted on with vinyl lettering.

Just about all stripes on the older Mustangs were done with vinyl tape stripes except for areas that were too round such as the hood on any of the Mach 1s/Bosses and of course the whole top of the Shelbys were painted on also.