2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

steeda cai... do you need the inlet tube

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/16, 07:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
steeda cai... do you need the inlet tube

I guess the title says it all. Would there be a gain on the steeda cai using stock inlet? I will/do have it tuned on stock airbox now.

Last edited by bh6247; 9/10/16 at 08:57 AM.
Old 9/10/16, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by bh6247
I guess the title says it all. Would there be a gain on the steeda cai using stock inlet? I will/do have it tuned on stock airbox now.
Huh? The CAI replaces the intake tube. or am I missing something?
Old 9/10/16, 12:12 PM
V6 Member

They sell it both ways, with and without inlet tube. I called them and was told I need the inlet tube. Why they sell them as separate units I do not know. You can buy it all together though.
Old 9/10/16, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I was gonna say.... you can put a filter on the end of your stock tube but it won't do a thing performance wise. The power gains are from the larger tube/MAF housing and the tune.
Old 9/10/16, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I would guess they sell the filter, just so you can get a new or backup filter. You should buy the full setup to get any benefit.
Old 9/11/16, 07:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
The complete Cold Air Intake kit will yield you better results than just the filter - the filter is for replacement applications.

Building clean, turbulent-free airflow into the intake tube is paramount ... that is why you can see here, in the precision CNC mass air housing which provides the cleanest mass air signal on the market:

Also, here is infographic to show the aforementioned:

Lastly ... here is a video on the 2011 ... but in short, the whole kit works in a holistic approach:

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/11/16, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

TJ... Thanks for the reply. To me it is just confusing. On the Steeda web site searching yields 3 results for my application. The entire package w inlet tube 555-3131, what is listed as the cai (pictured above) 555-3120 and the inlet tube by itself 555-3130555-3130
. The descriptions for the cai with inlet tube stand alone cai are the same + 38 hp . The description for the inlet tube refers to it as an upgrade to the cai adding additional 8 hp. There is no mention on the cai only description that it requires the inlet tube and that application is for replacement only. Your diagram and video only really touch on the velocity stack. In any case, I am going to get the Steeda kit at some point. Please do not take my nitpicking as a knock. I am your customer. I am waiting on the tunes for life I ordered last week. It seems you have a fair price on the standalone cai 555-3120 through you ebay shop and was simply wanting some feedback. In hindsight I went about things the wrong way but I wanted to try canned SCT tunes first. I got the SCT tuner from a local seller here in Columbus. They are listed as a dealer on the SCT website and work out of their house. Next step was dedicated tunes from a good source. I chose Steeda despite this board. Sometimes this place seems like an ad for AM. Nothing against them it is just an observation and could very well be wrong. Third is the cai itself and since I have or will eventually have Steeda tunes it only makes sense that is the cai I want. Clearly I would have been better off with package deal especially during last week's sale but that's not how it went down and I am trying to piece these things together at about the same price.
Old 9/12/16, 01:34 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
I was gonna say.... you can put a filter on the end of your stock tube but it won't do a thing performance wise. The power gains are from the larger tube/MAF housing and the tune.
The early Steeda CAI kits included the 90mm MAF housing with built in velocity stack, conical air filter and heat shield.. They didn't include the hard plastic inlet tube upgrade until 2006-07.. I started out with one of the early kits before the upgraded inlet tubes became available.. After upgrading to the plastic inlet tube, I did a comparison between the upgraded inlet tube and stock rubber tube and there was no noticeable power gain from swapping out the inlet tubes..

In conclusion, there is nothing to be gained upgrading from the stock inlet tube unless the upgraded tube includes a larger MAF housing in which the Steeda CAI already includes the larger aluminum 90mm MAF velocity stack to begin with..

The only difference between the upgraded Steeda plastic inlet elbow vs the stock rubber inlet, is the plastic tube is smoother and doesn't have ridges that may slow airflow just slightly, but not enough to notice any real power loss..
Old 9/12/16, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
The complete Cold Air Intake kit will yield you better results than just the filter - the filter is for replacement applications.

Building clean, turbulent-free airflow into the intake tube is paramount ... that is why you can see here, in the precision CNC mass air housing which provides the cleanest mass air signal on the market:

Also, here is infographic to show the aforementioned:

Lastly ... here is a video on the 2011 ... but in short, the whole kit works in a holistic approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vx8YsnjWg

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ ! Your post does not address the OP's question.. The OP wants your feedback in addressing as to whether or not purchasing the upgraded plastic inlet elbow is required for the Steeda 90mm CAI kit..

At any rate, it is not required, as your cold air kit already includes the larger 90mm aluminum MAF housing w/built in velocity stack..

Prior to upgrading to the Steeda plastic inlet tube, I started out with just the Steeda 90mm cold air kit and re-used the stock inlet tube..

Needless to say, my car didn't see any noticeable power gains by switching from the stock rubber inlet tube over to the upgraded plastic elbow for the Steeda cold air kit..

With that being said, I kept the upgraded plastic elbow only for improved looks and nothing more..
Old 9/12/16, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by bh6247
TJ... Thanks for the reply. To me it is just confusing. On the Steeda web site searching yields 3 results for my application. The entire package w inlet tube 555-3131, what is listed as the cai (pictured above) 555-3120 and the inlet tube by itself 555-3130555-3130
. The descriptions for the cai with inlet tube stand alone cai are the same + 38 hp . The description for the inlet tube refers to it as an upgrade to the cai adding additional 8 hp. There is no mention on the cai only description that it requires the inlet tube and that application is for replacement only. Your diagram and video only really touch on the velocity stack. In any case, I am going to get the Steeda kit at some point. Please do not take my nitpicking as a knock. I am your customer. I am waiting on the tunes for life I ordered last week. It seems you have a fair price on the standalone cai 555-3120 through you ebay shop and was simply wanting some feedback. In hindsight I went about things the wrong way but I wanted to try canned SCT tunes first. I got the SCT tuner from a local seller here in Columbus. They are listed as a dealer on the SCT website and work out of their house. Next step was dedicated tunes from a good source. I chose Steeda despite this board. Sometimes this place seems like an ad for AM. Nothing against them it is just an observation and could very well be wrong. Third is the cai itself and since I have or will eventually have Steeda tunes it only makes sense that is the cai I want. Clearly I would have been better off with package deal especially during last week's sale but that's not how it went down and I am trying to piece these things together at about the same price.
If you intend on purchasing the Steeda cold air kit ? All you really need for your particular application, is the standalone 555-3120 kit..

This was the very same kit I started out with 10 years ago.. The standalone kit already includes the larger 90mm aluminum housing which features a built in velocity stack that's designed to smooth airflow and reduce air turbulence..

You just simply re-use your stock rubber inlet tube to the standalone kit, as it is not required nor necessary to purchase the Steeda upgraded plastic elbow as it's no larger than your stock rubber inlet tube.. Therefore you won't really see any noticeable power gains from it to begin with anyhow..

Unless your looking to just improve the looks of your engine bay, the standalone kit has everything you need to provide better airflow and performance over stock
Old 9/12/16, 03:55 PM
V6 Member

Yep. Just going with 55-3120 cai. Actually got a review off Amazon stating the same thing you said. Got a blem off Steeda's Ebay shop. Saves a few bucks at least. Thanks for the response. It was pretty hard to find info on this.
Old 9/12/16, 04:10 PM

Just as I posted, the Steeda kit is what I started out with over 10 years ago.. Anyway glad you found my feedback as helpful
The following users liked this post:
bh6247 (9/12/16)
Old 9/12/16, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I guess I'm too late, case closed, but --

I don't understand how you could use the larger MAF housing/tube with the stock inlet tube from there to the throttle body; it won't fit because it is too small, right?

I have one of these intakes waiting to be installed so I'll take a look when I do it.

But in any case I would buy the whole thing, the extra money for the tube can't be very much in the big picture.
Old 9/12/16, 07:26 PM
V6 Member

History... in order since 87
80 hatch 4 cyl (learned stick)
85 lx notch 5.0 h.o ( learned 2nd was dangerous)
2001 GT ( learned 3rd was or can be dangerous)
2007 gt vert ( favorite... white with red interior... head turner... very satisfied with JBA axlebacks, still learning but not breaking)
2012 Bone stock cept 3.73's ( relative to what I have owned violently fast, 2nd favorite, Roush axleback best sound imho, still learning not breaking)
2007 gt vert (1st auto, slug, canned SCT helped, hoping Steeda is better, most likely to mod, gears are next if needed)
I appreciate that you have owned the car over 10 years. I appreciate your candor. I appreciate you experience.
Old 9/12/16, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
I guess I'm too late, case closed, but --

I don't understand how you could use the larger MAF housing/tube with the stock inlet tube from there to the throttle body; it won't fit because it is too small, right?

I have one of these intakes waiting to be installed so I'll take a look when I do it.

But in any case I would buy the whole thing, the extra money for the tube can't be very much in the big picture.
The original Steeda CAI kit did not offer the upgraded plastic elbow.. Steeda came out with that one year later in 2006-07.. Prior to 2006-07 you simply just re-used the stock inlet tube..

Although fitment can be somewhat on the tight side, the stock rubber inlet is flexible and will fit the larger 90mm housing with a little finesse..

IMHO saving $109.00 is well worth it and can be used towards other mods, rather than for a plastic inlet elbow that won't really provide any noticeable power gains over the stock inlet tube..

If you recall, the 2007-2008 Shelby GT came factory equipped with the FRPP CAI kit which is the very same kit made by Steeda that also re-uses the stock inlet tube as you can see by the attached image..
Attached Thumbnails steeda cai... do you need the inlet tube-ford-mustang_shelby_gt-2007-1280-0a.jpg  

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/13/16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 9/13/16, 06:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes, the way the thread was going I thought a different question was being asked. OP, if you would like, I can get your info & have our tech team follow-up with you to ensure you are getting what you need.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/13/16, 08:36 PM
V6 Member

I ordered the cai 555-3120 from your ebay store. I think its coming tomorrow. I received tunes today.
Old 2/15/17, 01:04 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Rocky: I recall you running Airaid at one point - was the Airaid better at flowing more air than the Steeda? How did they compare to stock? I never did much datalogging back in the day.
Old 2/15/17, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
Rocky: I recall you running Airaid at one point - was the Airaid better at flowing more air than the Steeda? How did they compare to stock? I never did much datalogging back in the day.
Charlie: I actually upgraded to the Airaid intake from the Steeda and despite the Airaid's larger 100mm built in MAF, the additional benefits came from the tuning and not so much from the larger MAF.. IMHO: Airaid's larger 100mm MAF is pretty much overkill when running a N/A 4.6 3v as the stock 3v is only capable of taking in the amount of airflow for which it was designed for anyhow..

So I decided to return my Mustang back to the stock programming and re-insert the Airaid's non-tune insert or otherwise referred to as the venturi tube insert and ran it that way until I sold my 05 and was pretty pleased with it as I did notice better low and mid torque response over the factory airbox..

Unless you intend on upgrading to better flowing heads, cams, intake, LT headers or go FI.. There's really nothing to be gained from upgrading to a 100mm or larger MAF on a N/A 3v application anyhow IMO.. So I would just recommend sticking with your Steeda/FRPP CAI..

-Rocky