2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Starts and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/21, 09:06 AM
Bil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starts and stalls

My 2005 mustang 4.0 starts up and stalls within 3 to 5 seconds. Any ideas?
Old 1/16/21, 10:06 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
How about providing more information/details which might be more helpful.. The brief description you just provided could mean just about anything
Old 1/16/21, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

As m05 says, probably need to flesh that out a little bit... any codes from a code reader, for example... but the culprits could be fuel starvation, plugged exhaust/catalytic converters, spark issue, plugged intake, cracked intake... most of which would have caused a rough running engine way before it getting to start then stop.

Fuel could be injectors messed up, but more likely bad fuel (water in it?), fuel pump failure, clogged and needing changed fuel filter, that sort of thing. Whatever it is its going to require diagnosis.. and here's the pinpoint chart you need:
First page: http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=9&f=Step%203-...m%20Charts.pdf
Second page: http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=9&f=Step%203-...Charts.pdf&p=2
Third page: http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=9&f=Step%203-...harts.pdf&p=11

The order gets messed up because 1,2,11-18,3,4... it's weird. So those are in order for Chart 1, which is the applicable set of tests to look at performing.

All the information is in there, but the pinpoint tests aren't all there elsewhere in this online manual. They stop at H, which is short of HH and HE, and K-Z or whatever they are) are not listed. Unfortunately. So I'd recommend actually getting a hold of the correct service manual for your car, which you can find online or go to a Ford Dealer maybe. You could also get a one day or monthly or such Alldata subscription, as an example, when you're ready to commit a few hours and tools to do the diagnosing. And if not, then the next solution is to take it somewhere and pay them to figure it out for you... but what kinda fun is that?

I hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 1/16/21 at 02:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bil (1/21/21)
Old 1/21/21, 05:13 PM
Bil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, here is some more info: we were cruising along at 40 mph and the car just stalled without warning. I let it coast for a mile or so , when we came to a stop I tried to fire up again and it started but only ran for 3-5 seconds and it stumbled and stalled. I’ve tried fire it up several times since and it does the same thing. I can hear the fuel pump engage each time I turn the key.

I’ve tried several things:

Ø* Checked the relay

Ø* Check all the wiring and connections

Ø* Installed new MAF sensor

Ø* Installed new fuel rail pressure sensor

Ø* Installed new fuel pump driver module

Ø* Cleaned throttle body

I guess the next thing would be a new fuel pump???

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 1/21/21, 08:21 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Being that your car is 15 years old, it could very well be the throttle body from what you've described. The throttle position sensor does wear out from age and more so depending on mileage as well. Therefore, I would suggest having a diagnostic check performed on your throttle body before replacing the fuel pump, as it is normal to hear the fuel pump engage each time you turn the key to just the on position. Mine does exactly the same each time and then fires up just fine at the start position with no issues
The following users liked this post:
Bil (1/22/21)