2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Spoiler effectiveness

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/04, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by the mammoth car@July 15, 2004, 12:25 PM
Since its not functional its rice. Also its ugly!

No spoiler for me! A nice ductail tho would at least look nice. If they make one later and its only on the trunk, maybe I can switch out my truck lid for th newer one.
:flame2:
Old 7/15/04, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GhostTX@July 15, 2004, 9:50 AM
All true. I was just wondering if the thing actually did something for the car. If it did, it was just one more thing to consider on whether to get it or not.

I truly like the car with and without the spoiler. So if its just purely decorative, it doesn't have as much "weight" with me if it were functional and made the car look good.

My wife's Alero had a factory installed spoiler, but it broke off. Near as I can tell, the impact from the trunk being closed repeatedly put a moment force on the spoiler and snapped it enough to eventually weaken the plastic at the bolt locations. I don't want that happening to my Mustang. So...if the spoiler doesn't serve a purpose other than decor, to me...its just one more thing to break.
Rule of thumb to live by! NEVER ever close a trunk, hatch, etc by pushing on the wing. Always put your had under it and push on the trunk lid. (dont know if that is what your wife was doing, but mine does it all the time and gets put off when I tell her to stop :bang: )
Old 7/15/04, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course anybody can lash whatever they want on their cars, ain't nobody saying they can't. I wouldn't mind a spoiler myself if:

A. It actually worked as a spoiler (which is highly doubtful for the '05s)
B. It had a more original design that better complemented the '05. They current one is pretty generic in style, looking pretty much like any of 10 million other spoilers making all those 10 million cars "unique" and personalized. Again, it looks like its genesis came from the marketing department, not the design department.
Old 7/15/04, 01:04 PM

As for the first Mustang spoilers, I think that would be the low wing on the '69 Boss and Mach I - optional on both. If I recall, that one was actually adjustable (angle of attack) and did, in fact, contribute in a beneficial way to aerodynamics. There were various spoilers on various Stangs from then on - some/most were mainly cosmetic baubles though a few were the real McCoy such as on the SVO Mustangs and Cobra R.
Old 7/15/04, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont want my friends sitting on the trunk of my car because they do that on my current car and i find little scratches from their keys. Therefore Spoiler it is.
Old 7/15/04, 02:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Bhead32@July 15, 2004, 3:26 PM
I dont want my friends sitting on the trunk of my car because they do that on my current car and i find little scratches from their keys. Therefore Spoiler it is.
Any of my friends that lean/sit/touch the car....ride under it, rather than in it.

Old 7/15/04, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Boomer+July 15, 2004, 2:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Boomer @ July 15, 2004, 2:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bhead32@July 15, 2004, 3:26 PM
Any of my friends that lean/sit/touch the car....ride under it, rather than in it.

[/b][/quote]
i like the way u think.
Old 7/15/04, 10:10 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Boomer+July 15, 2004, 4:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Boomer @ July 15, 2004, 4:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bhead32@July 15, 2004, 3:26 PM

[/b][/quote]
LOL.

I find its simplier to get rid of any friends you have so you never have to worry about it.
Old 7/15/04, 10:11 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by rhumb@July 15, 2004, 3:03 PM
Of course anybody can lash whatever they want on their cars, ain't nobody saying they can't. I wouldn't mind a spoiler myself if:

A. It actually worked as a spoiler (which is highly doubtful for the '05s)
B. It had a more original design that better complemented the '05. They current one is pretty generic in style, looking pretty much like any of 10 million other spoilers making all those 10 million cars "unique" and personalized. Again, it looks like its genesis came from the marketing department, not the design department.
I agree, it would have been nice if it was functional. Maybe on an SE.

Anyways, I've seen it in person and I still think its a nice looking piece, even if it is similar to things you could order out of a JC Whitney catelog. (inside joke >> rhumb)
Old 7/15/04, 10:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by the mammoth car@July 15, 2004, 12:25 PM

No spoiler for me! A nice ductail tho would at least look nice. If they make one later and its only on the trunk, maybe I can switch out my truck lid for th newer one.
I'm gonna swap the trunk lid on my Jetta to get the cool new '04 style trunk with the built in spoiler...really nice...I would like to see something similar for the 'Stang.
Old 7/16/04, 01:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I like the spoiler on my Saleen. If Ford made a ducktail or a spoiler similar to the Saleen, I will go with that. If not, there is always aftermarket.
Old 7/16/04, 04:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05+July 16, 2004, 6:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FrankBullitt05 @ July 16, 2004, 6:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-the mammoth car@July 15, 2004, 12:25 PM

I'm gonna swap the trunk lid on my Jetta to get the cool new '04 style trunk with the built in spoiler...really nice...I would like to see something similar for the 'Stang. [/b][/quote]
... which is, btw, something unique for the US market. Germany's Boras don't get that trunk It's quite interesting to see how many Americans like the Jetta... over here, the car was renamed to Bora but still doesn't sell very well (the Jetta used to be _the_ car for old, boring, conservative people here )
Old 7/16/04, 08:30 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dan@July 15, 2004, 10:14 PM

If the spoiler was functional, it would start putting down a meaningful amount of downforce at about 70mph, the rest of the time, it would just create drag and increase fuel consumption. (I believe my thinking is correct there :scratch: )
Old 7/16/04, 08:32 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Wombert@July 16, 2004, 4:50 AM
. over here, the car was renamed to Bora but still doesn't sell very well (the Jetta used to be _the_ car for old, boring, conservative people here )
Really? It sells very well here, especially the TDi, it is almost selling as many as the Golf
Old 7/16/04, 08:35 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy+July 16, 2004, 10:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jgsmuzzy @ July 16, 2004, 10:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dan@July 15, 2004, 10:14 PM

If the spoiler was functional, it would start putting down a meaningful amount of downforce at about 70mph, the rest of the time, it would just create drag and increase fuel consumption. (I believe my thinking is correct there :scratch: ) [/b][/quote]
You're right, even a properly designed spoiler would just be ineffective at producing large downforces at slow speeds. But at slow speeds drag would also be marginal as drag is a function of wind speed and the speed of the moving vehicle. The spoiler itself would be designed with airflow in mind and would be shaped to minimize drag while maximizing downforce.
Old 7/16/04, 09:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It does "spoiler" the look IMHO..

Its actually not a BAD looking wing, and has hidden curves and sculpting to it that does not show up in photos, but I will delete it so I dont have to mess with holes in the trunk lid, even if I end up with the factory spoiler anyway.
Old 7/16/04, 10:34 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not sure how effective it is at normal driving speeds, but it's a moot pont anyway as I want my Mustang without one. I think it's a cleaner look, especially on the convertible. It's a matter of taste, and that's why we have choices.
Old 7/18/04, 02:16 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by GhostTX@July 14, 2004, 7:51 AM
Still toying with the idea about whether to get a spoiler or not on the '05.

So, by getting one, how effective is it? At what speeds does it need to actually keep the rear down and not get too "light" in the back end?

Or is the spoiler entirely decorative?
Most spoilers on production street cars are purely decorative.

Several years ago C&D had and excellent article about air dams and spoilers. They tested an number of cars with and without their factory spoilers, including a Mustang GT (probably a 1999 or 2000 model year).

They were able to do top speed testing and found that the Mustang GT actually went faster with the spoiler removed. I don't remember the exact top speed they were able to get, but it was something like 143 MPH with the spoiler and 146 MPG w/o the spoiler. This says that all the 99 - 04 Stang spoiler does is add weight and drag which will slightly reduce your gas mileage.

In the case of the Mustang they also said that it felt equally stable with or without the spoiler (even at 140+ MPH), maybe slightly better without it.
Old 7/18/04, 02:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I like spoilers purely for the look and wouldn't have one for the real use because I would drive my 'Stang every day to work when I get one. I might would use one if I was really serious at the track but for every day driving, purely for look.
Old 7/18/04, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Spoilers almostnever possibly never increase top speed. they provide downforce i.e. drag for stability and cornering. Front air dams splitters and undercar aerodynamic aids can help with less drag.

Quick Reply: Spoiler effectiveness