2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Speeds over 90 mph

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/05, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tw0scoops123@July 21, 2005, 8:36 AM
Yeah right! With the way people drive in this country? People would be getting killed left and right. Nice suggestion, but NO! From what I hear people in Germany are better drivers cuz they're actually careful when they drive.
The biggest reason the Autobahn works, is that driving in the left hand lane, or passing in the right lane will get you a ticket faster than anything. There is a difference between driving fast, and driving recklessly. If cops here in the states would give out more tickets for idiots in the left hand lane and not using their blinkers, we would actually see a decline in accidents. However, it seems that revenue is the main motivation for cops to give tickets, and it is much easier to just sit on the side of the road with a radar gun, then actually patrolling the highways.
I agree that an Autobahn would probably get a lot of people killed over here, but thats because we now have the mentality that as long as I'm not speeding, I have the RIGHT to drive as stupid and recklessly as I please.
Old 7/21/05, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Autobahn would not work here. The process to get your license in Germany is far more involved, learning about the car itself and is quite expensive as well. I think they weed out a lot of the idiots that way. To have an autobahn here, we would have to overhaul the entire process of driver education, acquiring a driver's license, etc. NOT going to happen, there would be too many people crying about it!

I agree, it would be really nice though!
Old 7/21/05, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by moc1976@July 21, 2005, 9:52 AM
Autobahn would not work here. The process to get your license in Germany is far more involved, learning about the car itself and is quite expensive as well. I think they weed out a lot of the idiots that way. To have an autobahn here, we would have to overhaul the entire process of driver education, acquiring a driver's license, etc. NOT going to happen, there would be too many people crying about it!

I agree, it would be really nice though!

And too many people driving anyway license or not.
Old 7/21/05, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@July 21, 2005, 8:36 AM
Yeah right! With the way people drive in this country? People would be getting killed left and right. Nice suggestion, but NO! From what I hear people in Germany are better drivers cuz they're actually careful when they drive.
The germans maybe better drivers. But not at all. The most put the pedal to the metal on a straight road/autobahn and use the good brakes before a bend (right word?). At narrow roadturns they drive to slowly (for my opinion). But the european drivers are the better parkers. I was in california. Your country is unbelivable wide!!

The roads, the drive-ins, the parkingplaces are darn wide in the usa!!!! And everywhere You can parking forward!! No sideway parking in narrow streets... The most larger shops and restaurants has there own parkinplaces ...

Driving and parking in the german cities is 300% harder than in Frisco. And a pony is a darn large car in munich, berlin or cologne.
Old 7/21/05, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

The autobahn is just a freeway system. I think the reason why it works is because in Germany, it costs you $2000 to even take their tests, so if you're getting your license you take it more seriously. Also we don't really penalize people who drive without their lisence. There are too many people out there driving without a license.

I must admit it's a bummer hearing the v8 isn't made in germany. I saw the v6 sticker that said the engine was made in germany, I was assuming the v8 was also german. I have to say, germans know what they're doing when it comes to building engines.
Old 7/21/05, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

The cost of a license in Germany helps keep losers off the road too. Something like $1500 isn't it? And then there are the fines.

My car was built in April, and I've been up 100 mph once, and 120 another time. No hood shake at all. The hood isn't easy to close either, maybe that's a sign they did something?
Old 7/21/05, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by cyoon@July 21, 2005, 10:29 AM

I must admit it's a bummer hearing the v8 isn't made in germany. I saw the v6 sticker that said the engine was made in germany, I was assuming the v8 was also german. I have to say, germans know what they're doing when it comes to building engines.
You have got to be kidding, we invented the V8, Ford's v8's have won more races that all of the German car makers V8's combined. I wouldn't have order the Mustang with a foreign motor. I hope you V8 turns out to be excelent for you.
Old 7/21/05, 11:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by cyoon@July 21, 2005, 10:29 AM
Like I said before, there is a difference between being made in Germany, and being made by a German Company.

I personally think the GT's engine is superb. However, German companies can make superb engines too:

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...id/2050713.001
Old 12/8/05, 01:33 PM

Having driven all over Europe, I can tell you there are major differences between American and Europe drive styles. God knows I love my country, but we are the world's worst drivers…

Subject A ) Typical American Driver: Talks and/or is sending a text message while eating a BK breakfast sandwich and drinking 200 once BIG GULP! All while steering with their knee… Oh and reading the paper laying In the passenger seat. They barely know what's ahead of them much less what lane or what going on around them. (I see it every friggin day...) :bang:

Subject B) Typical European Driver. Hands are at 10 & 2 and eyes and mind focus on the road. And when I say "The Road" is not only the road that is in front of them, it's all around. It's called situational awareness.

Good points about the getting a drivers license over there. It really is a big deal and the cost is very expensive compare to the US. Their training and laws are much more stringent too. I actually love driving over there. You really have to pay attention. The roads are narrow and twisty, but generally is very good (paved wise) shape. It actually makes you a better driver. You can't have all of the distractions that you see (and some do) over here or you'll bend your Beemer. :cry:

95% of European cars SOLD in Europe don't have cup holders. Name modern car sold in the US that DOESN'T have a cup holder….
Old 12/8/05, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 2006GT@December 8, 2005, 2:36 PM

95% of European cars SOLD in Europe don't have cup holders. Name modern car sold in the US that DOESN'T have a cup holder….
Lotus Elise. Or did you mean a car MADE in the US?
Old 12/8/05, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Shea@December 8, 2005, 3:54 PM
Nope. Doesn't have to be made, only sold us. Good pick. I'm not sure if cars like Lambos have them either... I'll have to look at mine when I get home....

I was reffering to a little mainstream ride though...
Old 12/8/05, 02:27 PM
GT Member

The roads, the drive-ins, the parkingplaces are darn wide in the usa!!!! And everywhere You can parking forward!! No sideway parking in narrow streets... The most larger shops and restaurants has there own parkinplaces ...
I am sure in Frisco it is different. Come to Philadelphia sometime. It is an older city and many streets are very narrow. You will need to be pretty good at parallel parking. People will get right up to your bumper.

One thing Americans are good at is driving for a long distance. I drove from Philadelphia to De Moine Iowa in one day drive, about 1100 or 1200 miles not sure Kilometers. It took 15 hours only stopped to eat and ****.

A freind of mine drove from coast to coast in 2 and half days in a little Fiat.
Old 12/8/05, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

The Autobahn and American highway system are different in many ways. The Autobahn is a series of sweeping turns I believe while the US highways are as straight as possible. The Constant turns keep you on guard while driving. And the straight lines in the US make it easy to lose concentration.

Or so I saw on the History channel.
Old 12/8/05, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

If you ever notice, there are functional vents in the hood of both the 2003-2004 Cobra and the 2007 Cobra concept. The vents face towards the back of the car, instead of the front. They are there to relieve high underhood pressures at high speeds, according to Ford. Wonder if there are any modifications that could be made to allow the pressure out, or are there any good aftermarket hoods with similar venting? Just a thought.
Old 12/8/05, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Shea@December 8, 2005, 2:54 PM
Elise doesn't count - if they thought they could do away with the steering wheel and seats, they probably would !
Old 12/8/05, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Sonic Brew@December 8, 2005, 4:34 PM
The Autobahn and American highway system are different in many ways. The Autobahn is a series of sweeping turns I believe while the US highways are as straight as possible. The Constant turns keep you on guard while driving. And the straight lines in the US make it easy to lose concentration.

Or so I saw on the History channel.

Yep. Saw the same show. It was pretty cool and interesting.
Old 12/9/05, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you looked at a topographical map of Germany vs. the USA? There is a HUGE chunk of the country were they CAN'T buld straight roads.

Of course, they still build much BETTER roads. The autobans are built to last at least 25 years (or they were back in the 80's and 90's). The contractor is responsible for repairs during that time. They cost a lot, but you don't have the issues where a "new" 2 year old road is bucked due to poor foundation work. Stupid Federal law requiring states to accept the lowest bid instead of the BEST bid is just crazy (if they want the Federal matching money).

And I would LOVE to see police officers actually perfoming useful work and enforcing lane disipline and signal useage. Where I live, the cops are pretty much the worse offenders for most of those violations. Especially when they are off duty and going home for the day... When everyone else see's the police driving like that, they figure it's there right too.
Old 12/9/05, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

The hood 'dance" is an easy fix. I turned the driver's side rubber bumper up about three turns.....problem solved!
Old 12/9/05, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Valentine 1 + Empty I-70 = American Autobahn

When I am in the car I am driving, no distractions. You have to watch your own back when everyone is on cell phones, smoking, adjusting the radio, and/or eating. It would be nice if the police gave tickets for everything they are supposed to and not just speeding.. I'm all for laws against distractions while driving. But then again I love my cars like children.

Jon
Old 12/10/05, 11:29 PM
GT Member

Mine does it also First time I stopped aand checked the hood latch . Thought it was not shut properly

Quick Reply: Speeds over 90 mph