2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Spark plugs wont come out

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/08, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plugs wont come out

I decided to remove and replace the factory spark plugs on my 07 mustang tonight and have hit a snag. With my torque wrench set at 35 ft/lbs the passenger side plugs broke free easily. However, none of the driver side plugs will budge at that setting The TSB doesn't explain what to do if the plugs are exceptionally tight. When reading it, I assume the plugs have to be broken free (at least 1/8 turn) before the carb cleaner can do its job right? My question is, do I attempt to move them at a higher torque setting or what????

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer
Mark
Old 5/10/08, 07:12 PM

I had to turn my torque wrench up on one of the plugs. IIRC, I went up to around 38 or so. I was also wondering what you are supposed to do if they don't break loose.
Old 5/10/08, 07:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Breaking them loose might require a lot of torque, but after that is where the 35lbs comes into play. The initial force to break them free is not because of carbon buildup, it is just the way spark plugs are and that is normal for any engine.

The carbon buildup problem comes into play after the plugs are initially broken free. Don't worry, you won't break the plugs breaking them loose...that won't happen until a few turns later. Just break them loose, then let the carb cleaner do it's thing for a few hours.

Of course, this is just my experience and don't take me for an expert or anything.
Old 5/10/08, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. I'm just a little nervous about the whole thing, but that doesn't usually stop me from trying. I'm a little relieved hearing that higher torque can be used to break them free. Though, I can't get over how much easier it was breaking the passenger side plugs loose. I would guess it was about 25 ft/lbs....thats what had me worried most. Those 4 plugs were as consistent in amount of force used when breaking loose as the other 4 were not.
I'm going to go back out and give it another try with a little more torque and see what happens.
thanks again, I really appreciate your advice
Mark

On Edit: The other 4 plugs broke free at <40 ft/lbs of torque just fine And none of the plugs seem to have much resistance when backing them out to about 1 turn either. I didn't go any further, but I'm thinking that with the low amount of mileage on my car that there aren't many deposits on the shield?? Also see my other thread with regard to the Champion plugs and the center electrode
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=467973

Last edited by GTMark052; 5/10/08 at 09:47 PM.
Old 5/11/08, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I'm thinking the plugs were put in at the factory by two different people???
Old 5/11/08, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah thats the only thing I could think of, but then again would'nt they use the same torque settings? I guess this proves they don't.
Old 5/11/08, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

what tool do you use to remover the spark plug? Is it just the regular 9/16 tool like the old ones?
Old 5/11/08, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6900-Speci...519115&sr=1-22
But any 9/16 spark plug socket will work. I figured that out after I purchased it. Not only that but consider that if you change to a Champion plug, for example, they use a 5/8 hex nut not a 9/16.
Old 5/11/08, 03:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

they break. trust me been there done that. not fun.
Old 5/11/08, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Plugs

When I removed the plugs my dealer installed after my disaster with 6 of 8 broken plugs, I found I couldn't break my plugs loose (only 2500 miles or so on them) at cold temp, car sitting over night. I started the engine and let it run maybe 4-5 minutes and shut it off. I let it sit a few minutes and tried again, this time they broke free with just a little muscle. I just warmed things up a bit, but not hot. Worked for me. I threw the junk Motorcraft plugs out and installed the Champion 7989's. Been almost a month now and the Champions are doing just great. I'm never going back to Motorcraft until they come out with a one piece plug.
Old 5/11/08, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
let us know if your mpg's increase
Old 5/11/08, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by goldenpony
When I removed the plugs my dealer installed after my disaster with 6 of 8 broken plugs, I found I couldn't break my plugs loose (only 2500 miles or so on them) at cold temp, car sitting over night. I started the engine and let it run maybe 4-5 minutes and shut it off. I let it sit a few minutes and tried again, this time they broke free with just a little muscle. I just warmed things up a bit, but not hot. Worked for me. I threw the junk Motorcraft plugs out and installed the Champion 7989's. Been almost a month now and the Champions are doing just great. I'm never going back to Motorcraft until they come out with a one piece plug.
+1 on warming it up. I hd my torque wrench set at 35 and I wasn't gonna push it higher than that. They would NOT break free with engine cold. As goldenpony said, run the engine for 5-10 minutes, let it cool until the block is warm to touch but not hot enough that you have to remove your finger to avoid a burn. The broke free easily after that.
Old 5/11/08, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's funny, the first TSB put out by FORD advised to use the slightly warm engine method and the following TSB's stated to use a cold engine
The passenger side plugs broke free easily, well before 35 ft/lbs of torque, but the drivers side plugs were stubborn at close to 40 ft/lbs. They eventually broke free with no problems though. After getting a close look at several of the Champion plugs, I decided not to install them. See my other thread about this sepparate issue http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=467973
I ended up cleaning the stock plugs and re-installing them with the nickel anti-seize compound. I'm going "wait it out" for more one piece design plugs to show up on the market, which hopefully will be within the next year or so.
After giving it more thought this afternoon, I've decided to send the Champions back for a refund, which really stinks because I had gotten them for a steal at $4.95 each. (If anyone wants these let me know before I send them back ). I'm not happy with their quality at all and am not up to gambling as to whether the next set will be ok or not.
Old 5/11/08, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

How did you get them so cheap? I might be interested in them.
Old 5/11/08, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Summit Racing had the wrong price listed initially and a few of us had gotten 8 plugs for the $4.95 ea price (total $39.60) before they caught up with the error.

If anyone is serious about wanting these, shoot me a PM before I make arrangements to send them back.
Old 2/5/11, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by GTMark052
Summit Racing had the wrong price listed initially and a few of us had gotten 8 plugs for the $4.95 ea price (total $39.60) before they caught up with the error.

If anyone is serious about wanting these, shoot me a PM before I make arrangements to send them back.

I will take the plugs if they are still available.
Thanks,
Old 2/5/11, 08:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Surftaz
Thanks,
Haha hopefully they're still available after 2.5 years.
Old 2/6/11, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Americanboy86
Too funny!
Old 2/6/11, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by GTMark052
It's funny, the first TSB put out by FORD advised to use the slightly warm engine method and the following TSB's stated to use a cold engine
Probably a legality regarding hot engine potential combined with flammable contents being sprayed into it. Kinda gives them the nervous. Everything goes through legal, and they said "do it cold." It is possible that the cleaner fluid drips onto the exhaust manifold (which is definitely NOT just 'warm') and starts a fire.

Gotta love legal.
Old 2/7/11, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Surftaz
Thanks,
Sorry Surftaz, these plugs are looooong gone.

Originally Posted by Americanboy86
LOL, my wife always tells me that I horde too many spare car parts, but unfortunately the plugs were not the case. Though my "hording" came in handy after she ran my Mustang into the side of the garage a couple of months ago

Quick Reply: Spark plugs wont come out