2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

So i went to the track & this happened

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/13, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i went to the track & this happened

My first pass was good got a 13.8 (best of the night) 2nd pass my friend drove the car he spin the tires off the line he also missed 2nd & 3rd he got a 15.7then he was like ur car is making a weird noise in 3rd... Then I went and go ahead & checked that out it was grinding when going into 3rd but it went away for a while... So I decided to do the last pass of the night against my buddies tbss we take off even then I missed 2nd & pulled up on him & got him by the end of the 1/4.... So I'm rolling out & I notice that every time I'm trying to shift into 3rd it pops out of place everytime I let go of the clutch & it makes a grinding noise.. I need some input on this guys ( what can it be gear box, the whole tranny...) let me know guys thanks
Old 7/13/13, 05:50 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GT_LUII
My first pass was good got a 13.8 (best of the night) 2nd pass my friend drove the car he spin the tires off the line he also missed 2nd & 3rd he got a 15.7then he was like ur car is making a weird noise in 3rd... Then I went and go ahead & checked that out it was grinding when going into 3rd but it went away for a while... So I decided to do the last pass of the night against my buddies tbss we take off even then I missed 2nd & pulled up on him & got him by the end of the 1/4.... So I'm rolling out & I notice that every time I'm trying to shift into 3rd it pops out of place everytime I let go of the clutch & it makes a grinding noise.. I need some input on this guys ( what can it be gear box, the whole tranny...) let me know guys thanks
Lunched a syncro would be my guess.
Old 7/13/13, 06:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In order to repair this squawk, the trans has to be pulled and torn down.
Old 7/13/13, 09:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
The synchro probably caused the missed shifts, causing further damage...i messed up my 2nd synchro at the track, was getting locked out of 2nd even driving around town, and forget even trying to shift at over 4000, it would lockout or grind every time...someone in here suggested changing to Royal Purple synchromax (others swear redline oil works as well too), figured what the heck... Immediately my car would just about fall into third gear, within a hour of driving, 2nd was better than new, shifting on the revlimiter was easy and reliable...that was like 2 or 3 years ago, just recently the second lockouts have been randomly occurring- the RP oil didnt "fix" the tranny I know, but it did make it work better than new even with some burnt parts for a couple more years and many more test/tune nights...

Its not cheap oil, but if youve already got damage, cant hurt anything more than the cost of the oil right?

Might not work as well for you as it did for me, but cynical me has to say this 'magic oil' really does work incredibly well. Guaranteed before i ever flog our 09, i will put RP in it- i am 100% convinced if i had that oil in it before abusing it, the damage wouldnt have occurred in the first place. Do think best to break things in with non synthetic, if its too slick the parts might not polish up as easily as they normally would in the first 1000 miles or so... But before abusive shifting, this stuff might protect the synchros before abuse can tear them up...
Just my 2 cents
Old 7/15/13, 10:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moral of the story don't let your "friend" drive your car anymore. The problem may have been there before he drove it but he finished it off when he did. Sounds like a syncro to me as well.
Old 7/25/13, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Back in the mid '70s I had a 1965 GTO for a couple years, had a later 400 in it, I had gotten it in a trade with a best buddy ..... good cam, Edelbrock, Holley, Accel, Hookers, Lakewood around a Hays 40 lb steel flywheel, B&B three finger clutch, saw a 13.66 on street (when street meant really just street) tires with 4.10s (12 bolt posi out of '70 Chevelle) once really easing off the line .... many full throttle power shifts ....

And then one sunny afternoon just cruising and I pulled off the light and was just gonna chirp all 4 easy like ..... like I had done countless times .... and "CRUNCHHHH" ..... 3rd gear synchro ring cracked (I had it out and loking inside that night) ..... I was gonna fix but I heard of a smoking good deal on a low miles Rock Crusher which was reported to be some stronger than my '65's original transmission .... so I went and inspected it, like new inside, shifted perfect too.

Next weekend I got into it from a rolling start with some toad and slammed 3rd at 6K and ..... nothing .... the 12 bolt exploded in center tearing holes in the rear cover.

Drag that old open rear 3.23 Pontiac original rear out from storage under the shed and put in and just cruise after that .... got better mileage though.

Sold car soon afterwards and bought a 1975 Toyota Celica GT 5 speed (looked almost like a mashed up Mustang from some angles).