2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Smoked headlight cover film kit

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/07, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoked headlight cover film kit

Any advice here ...I'm looking mainly to add these when I take the car to shows.
If you know a company that makes a complete kit, i.e.
2 head lights
2 fog lamps
2 front signal
2 side rear signal
2 tail light
Let me know.
Any comments are welcomed...thanks
Old 2/20/07, 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

bluebatmobile.com
Old 2/21/07, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

the link is dead anyone else?
Old 2/22/07, 05:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought an x-pel kit for the front lamps, but they were 40 mil clear, designed for protection rather than tint.
Old 2/25/07, 09:30 PM

bluebatmobile.net not .com
Old 2/27/07, 09:07 AM
GT Member

You might try autobadges.com Erick Valdez is a great guy to work with. Even though it may not appear on their website, I know he does carry tint kits for the headlights/foglights as well as the taillights. Erick will probably have pieces for the reflectors and turn signals also.
Old 2/27/07, 09:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

FYI the tinted film only serves to reduce light output from your headlamps and foglamps. I don't recommend it if you need good and safe lighting at night or early dawn.
Old 2/27/07, 09:35 AM
GT Member

As is the case for most light tint kits, blackout kits are strictly for off-road use only (ie car shows). The 50% tint still allows enough light out of the headlamp/foglamps for night driving, and it still allows the tail lights to be seen when on, including reflective lighting. I've yet to hear anybody getting ticketed with 50% tinting. The attached photo of my 03 coupe demonstrates how the 50% tint gives a great look (right side), but still allows light through for safety (left side). The lights are not on. That's the reflective effect from the camera flash.
Old 2/27/07, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I wasn't talking about getting a citation for having too dim of a light. I was talking about safe light output at night so you can see the road in all conditions. The factory FMVSS 108 compliant garbage is dim as-is, I don't see the value in reducing that light output other than to win a car show and then take them off.
Old 2/27/07, 10:25 AM
GT Member

Well, the value of whatever anybody does to their own car is dependent on what goals they have for their car. Everybody has to weigh safety issues eveytime they get in their car, put their foot on the accelerator, and decide how to drive in the conditions they happen to be in at the time, whether it be day or night, rain or shine, on the street or on the track.

I was just trying to offer an option to a request for a light tint supplier, and autobadges.com offers a high quality product and great customer service. There are other suppliers out there that have "snap on" light covers that are strictly off road and for showing, but I haven't seen anybody offer these for the turn signals and side reflectors, only the head/tail/fog lights.
Old 2/27/07, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Bluebatmobile offers smoked pre-cut turn signals and side reflectors overlays. That's where I got mine.
Pics of overlays out of the box.

Side Markers
Before

After

Turn Signals

Before

After

Side shot of turn signals

Rear taillights-I ended up removing these because IMO they looked better stock.

FYI these aren't pre cut. This is what they look like when you get them.

Sorry I went a little pic crazy.
Old 2/27/07, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
FYI the tinted film only serves to reduce light output from your headlamps and foglamps. I don't recommend it if you need good and safe lighting at night or early dawn.
I think he said he wanted them mainly for shows. I got my fog and headlight here but I don't think they have tail or turn signal. You could email them and see if they will cut them for you. They are really nice people and there prices are pretty good. I also got a set of clear headlight to protect them for street use.

http://www.showlenses.com
Old 2/27/07, 11:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Woops, I didn't see that in Intruder's post! I guess if you don't have to do any driving when it is dark, go ahead and tint away.

(Personally), I think the stock headlamps and foglamps look very retro and efficient. I've always been fond of the round lamps and it'd be a shame to use tint to block them out.
Old 2/27/07, 01:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robbieg
I think he said he wanted them mainly for shows. I got my fog and headlight here but I don't think they have tail or turn signal. You could email them and see if they will cut them for you. They are really nice people and there prices are pretty good. I also got a set of clear headlight to protect them for street use.

http://www.showlenses.com
Robbie,can you take your film off and put back on?
Old 2/27/07, 01:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltzman
Robbie,can you take your film off and put back on?
Yes, the headlights are like static cling. They hold on very well, tested up to 120MPH ( so I've heard ). They are very thick and hold up very well and they were a perfect fit. If you wanted to do the turn signals and side marker you could order an extra set and cut them yourself if he cant make them for you. The fogs are the same material if you get the smoked and a rigid plastic if you get the amber and they just pop in between the foglight and the bezel, only takes a second to put them on/off. Another thing I like about them is that you can put a clear layer on like I did for on road protection and then just put the tinted on for show over the clear without having to take the clear on and off. I use a little soapy water solution in a spray bottle for the headlights like you would for tint or stripes and then a small squeeze and it makes them easy to line up and get the air bubbles out.
Old 2/27/07, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I got my t-signal film from Bluebat myself. Very happy with, also going to order the rear side marker ones soon.
Old 2/27/07, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Bluebatmobile offers smoked pre-cut turn signals and side reflectors overlays. That's where I got mine.
Did you install them yourself? How hard was the install? How do you install them? Do they come with instructions?
Old 2/27/07, 05:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by blackstang06
Did you install them yourself? How hard was the install? How do you install them? Do they come with instructions?
Yes,easy,yes
Old 2/27/07, 08:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
MRT has a tint kit for the headlights, fog lights, turn signals, and taillights.
Old 2/28/07, 02:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blackstang06
Really simple install. All you need is an id car or a mini squeege, hair dryer, spray bottle filled with water and dish soap.

Spray the area your applying the overlay.

Apply overlay

blow dry while you squeege out the air bubbles. Allow 24 hours for them to completly dry. If you still have any bubbles get a very fine sewing needle and pop them.

Quick Reply: Smoked headlight cover film kit