Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smaller gas tank on the '06?

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/06, 05:38 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've taken delivery for my '06 GT on the 11th of December, and didn't stop smiling since! guess it's just another case of perma-grin.. i love it (though my cheeks are starting to go numb)

so i kept driving around aimlessly till i ran the tank dry on the very next morning and i pulled over by the gas station to fill up..

we have two types of fuel in here, premium (95 octane) and super (98 octane) and i chose super 98..
i had thought the gas tank issues would have been resolved at the factory by now, being an '06 and all, yet the pump attendant had such hard time filling it up, as the nozzle kept clicking and shutting off every 2 seconds, regardless what he did.
i asked him to try and slow the pump down, and try to fill up the nozzle in upside down.. still no luck.
in the end, he pulled the nozzle out by half an inch or so and started "pouring" gas in slowly till it topped up completely..
took him a good 10 minutes, but he had finally filled 13.2 gallons in.

i figured the fuel gauge and computer may still need some calibration till they read more accurately, and in some time i'll be filling up 16 gallons..
still, 10 fill-ups later.. never went past 13.5 gallons no matter how low i go..
i know all the cars sold here follow the "gulf temperatures specifications" which implies having a larger radiator, so i'm suspecting the mustang is equipped with a smaller tank, probably with a thicker lining to shield the gas from the heat or something.

the dealer said they'll replace the tank as per the TSB during the first service, but i'm not so keen on having my brand new pony messed with, especially since the task requires removing/lowering the drive-shaft to pull the old tank clear.

anyway, on another note
the first week i got my stang, i ran an average 11-12 mpg, and i figured i should take it easy just to see how high the efficiency would go.
i tried my best, using cruise control whenever possible, sticking to highways, maintaining moderate speeds and low RPMs.
the fuel efficiency meter on the message center showed 3-4 bars out of 6 on average, as opposed to one (or two bars on extremely rare cases)
.. still i only managed to get up to 14mpg!

mind ya, my daily route to work is about 5 miles, 10 minutes averaging 20 miles an hour..
apart from that, i'm usually on highways doing anywhere around 80-120mph.

at this point, i'm convinced it's almost impossible to get to the advertised 20+mpg unless you reset the counters while cruising at 60-70mph on the 5th gear.
otherwise, one take off, or pass will drop this down to mid 15s..

don't get me wrong, i'll still be loving my mustang even if it does 10mpg (please don't turn this into yet another gas price thread).. i'm simply wondering what's your take on this.
Old 1/8/06, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll find that the more miles you get on your car, the better your mileage will be. BTW - gotta love that high octane over there!
Old 1/8/06, 07:41 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by outdoorstom@January 8, 2006, 7:29 AM
You'll find that the more miles you get on your car, the better your mileage will be. BTW - gotta love that high octane over there!
The octane is not as high as you think. They use a different rating method over there. The "98" octane is probably more like 93 or 94 by the US rating method.
Old 1/8/06, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

Does Dubai use US gallons or Imperial gallons? They are NOT the same (the Imperial gallon is larger). Of course, if they DO use the Imperial gallons, then that explains your tank size. But that also means your fuel economy REALLY sucks!
Old 1/8/06, 10:28 AM
V6 Member

I don't want to turn this into an issues thread (because there is a forum for that!) but I'm having fill up problems on my 06 too so you are not alone. =)
Old 1/8/06, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

me too every once in awhile, i thought they fixed that issue
Old 1/8/06, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Did you say gas station attendant? What's that?
Old 1/8/06, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

...One more thing. When I get mine, I'll probably average 8 miles/gallon the first 1000 miles.
Old 1/8/06, 05:52 PM
GT Member

I usually fill up when the message center shows "50 miles to empty". I can't remember ever taking more than about 13 gallons to fill it up. And on average, I get about 20 mpg. My drive to work is about 25 miles, mostly on the interstate averaging about 75 mph. And I just turned 10,000 on the odometer.
Old 1/8/06, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

I believe it is a 15-16 gallon tank on my 06, and I had an 05 before as well, same there. So exact same fill up on both. Good luck with your issues.
Old 1/8/06, 09:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think its the imperial gallons. Dont use the computer to estimate mileage, use the mileage against the ammount of gas need to refill the tank to be accurate. The mileage on that high an octane should be lower as well, as a computerized car that uses 87(which burns MUCH hotter then 98) would most likely 'ask' for more fuel to raise the combustion chamber temperature.
Old 1/9/06, 12:54 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer+January 8, 2006, 9:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RRRoamer @ January 8, 2006, 9:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does Dubai use US gallons or Imperial gallons? They are NOT the same (the Imperial gallon is larger). Of course, if they DO use the Imperial gallons, then that explains your tank size. But that also means your fuel economy REALLY sucks!
[/b]

i almost missed that one.. i guess you are right after all..
16 US gallons == 13.33 imperial gallons..
and uhh..
that drops my mpg calculations from 12.5 to 10.9.. and from 14.2 to 12.5!

Originally posted by Route 66@January 8, 2006, 9:44 PM
Did you say gas station attendant? What's that?
we're forbidden by the law to operate the petrol pumps ourselves.. a qualified pump attendant has to do fill up, for safety reasons.
coming to think of it.. mishaps are quite easy to happen on a 120 degrees summer day

<!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120
@January 9, 2006, 8:36 AM
The mileage on that high an octane should be lower as well, as a computerized car that uses 87(which burns MUCH hotter then 98) would most likely 'ask' for more fuel to raise the combustion chamber temperature.
[/quote]
you lost me there.. if i'm not mistaken, the mpg on higher octane should be higher.. shouldn't it?
Old 1/10/06, 12:44 AM
Cobra R Member

This is not correct. If you are going to burn the higher octane get your dealer to set the time up. When the octane is moved up the time should be also. It takes a longer time to burn so it needs more of a head start before top dead center.
Old 1/10/06, 04:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by G.T@January 9, 2006, 1:57 AM

you lost me there.. if i'm not mistaken, the mpg on higher octane should be higher.. shouldn't it?
Hey Louis, I know life over there is pretty good right now, nice and cool 80 degrees eh? I spent a year in Qatar and I thought you all charged by the litre? Either way, what you need to do is spend some money and get an SCT X2 from Doug or Brenspeed and flash your Stang so you can optimize for that higher octane, that will help with a lot of your problems, but I'm sure shipping will take a while. Lots of info about it on this forum.

-Darth

:jedi:
Old 1/10/06, 07:36 AM
Cobra Member

Don't most cars now days have a gallon or two reserve? When the guage says E you probably have a gallon or two left.
Old 1/10/06, 09:49 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,907 Posts
FYI, The 05 Mustang and the 06 Mustang Fuel tank part numbers all change to the TSB Part number. That would indicate to me that possibly ford is aware of 06 fill issues. BTMO

Btw the Tank Retails for approx $800.00

kc
Old 1/10/06, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ive ridden in a taxi around Dubai THOS ****'s are CRAZY. I can believe your car gets that kind of gas millage driving the way they do. Everyone floors it taking off from stop lights its like they are all in a race. I was about to crap my pants when my taxi changed 3 lanes with out even a glance in the mirror or over his shoulder. If you drive like they do in traffic I wouldnt expect great gas millage.
Old 1/11/06, 05:27 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Darth Stang@January 10, 2006, 3:51 PM
Hey Louis, I know life over there is pretty good right now, nice and cool 80 degrees eh? I spent a year in Qatar and I thought you all charged by the litre? Either way, what you need to do is spend some money and get an SCT X2 from Doug or Brenspeed and flash your Stang so you can optimize for that higher octane, that will help with a lot of your problems, but I'm sure shipping will take a while. Lots of info about it on this forum.

-Darth

:jedi:
hey bud.. you got it right.. we're enjoying 4 months of amazing weather now as we speak.. then it's back to 110-120 around April and May :\
in Dubai, gas is actually sold per imperial gallon

as for the SCT X2, i've been considering it, but many users on the forum suffering "knocking" problems, and "Limp mode" have reported using such chip tunes.. so i'm kinda hesitant
Old 1/11/06, 01:35 PM
V6 Member

The second time I filled up my 06, I had the same problem. The nozzle kept clicking every 2 seconds, even if I held it down. I just moved the car to a different pump, in the same gas station, and she filled up just fine. Dont know why, fault pump maybe. I haven't had that problem since then. However, I don't use that 'faulty' pump anymore though.

Also, during the first couple of weeks I was only getting about 13 - 15 MPG. Now I'm getting about 17 - 18. I have about 1100 miles on the car so far.
Old 3/12/07, 06:30 PM
GT Member

OK I decided NOT to take it in to the dealer because I wasn't confident they knew what the problem was.

This morning I went to put some gas in after letting the tank run almost dry. I started to put gas in it and about 2 secs later, yes I said 2 secs, gas comes spurting out all over the car and it continued for like 3 secs. I proceeded to do what I normally would do to bypass this issue and it didn't work. I then tried what other people suggested and that was to turn the nozzle upside down, still no good! I could only put about 2-3 secs of gas in each time. I immediately drove up to the dealership.

The tech came with me to a different station and the same thing happened again except this time it just clicked off instead of exploding all over my car.

The first thing he says is that he would contact Ford engineering and ask them. After we get back to the dealer and he looks up some stuff, he says that they wanted to "check it out" to see what the problem was. THEN he tells me that he remembers another person having a similar issue and they discovered that he had a spider web in the tank causing the issue and thinks that maybe I have a similar problem. WHAT???????????? How the hell does a spider even GET into the tank much less survive long enough to build a house? That's crazy!!!!

So I told him NO, I'm not going to let your guys experiment on my car. Call Ford, ask them and we'll do what they suggest. That's what the tech said he'd do and that's what I want. He then gets all huffy and goes and gets a manager who also gets huffy because I stick to my guns and keep saying no. Then the manager asks me where I bought it, and my reply was that I didn't really understand what that had to do with anything. Then he asked me what I wanted them to do. So I proceeded to tell then yet again.

GEEZ!!!!!!!! What's up with these people? This is a legitamate problem and it needs to be fixed! I understand that there may be a little frustration on their part no being able to fix something but don't you think it's slightly easier saying that? "Um, we're sorry sir, Ford engineering hasn't provided us with a fix as of yet for this problem." I mean how freakin hard is that to say???

It sure is a lot easier on the ears than "Maybe you have a spider in your tank and we want you to give us your baby for a few days so we can take it apart and try to find it."

On the different sation note....That's crap!!!! When was the last time any one of you had someone that told you "hey dude, had a problem with the quik trip down the road...try the P66 station over there by the grocery store, it worked fine" That's just dumb!!!! YES it might work but come on. How many cars of different make and model are on the road? How many millions??? How many have this problem??? Only 05 06 and maybe 07 Ford mustangs????

For me, I was lucky. For the first year, 3700 miles and roughly 20 or so fillups, I didn't have this problem. Why now? I don't know. Maybe the spider got a hooker, knocked her up and now the kids live at home!

Anyone have any Ford engineering contacts?

Quick Reply: smaller gas tank on the '06?