2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Size Matters!

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/04, 04:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

:angry: Ford teased us with pictures of '05 with 18s on them, obviously to increase marketing interest, but now we are being told that they are not going to be available in '05 due to a plant process incapability. I think they could figure out how to put 18s on the '05 in time. I am an Engineer, and this seems fishy. Sounds like false advertising to me, you be the judge though.

If we can't get '05s from the plant with 18s, why can't we swap out 18s at the dealership as a dealer option? I really like the Ford rims in the pics and would prefer these over American Racing rims or some other substitute. Also, it would be nice not to have to buy new ones, but to just pay the difference for an upgrade.<_<
<center>
Anyone have any words of knowledge on the subject or feelings to add? </center>
Old 8/10/04, 04:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Who cares? It's just a set of wheels.
Old 8/10/04, 04:30 PM
V6 Member

They're going to be offered later in the MY. Either wait, buy them after you get the car or go for an aftermarket set. To me, they're just okay. I'm sure aftermarket manufacturers are going to have some very very cool offerings. And then, your vehicle won't look like 5000 others on the road.
Old 8/10/04, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by will@August 10, 2004, 6:33 PM
They're going to be offered later in the MY. Either wait, buy them after you get the car or go for an aftermarket set. To me, they're just okay. I'm sure aftermarket manufacturers are going to have some very very cool offerings. And then, your vehicle won't look like 5000 others on the road.
No, they aren't. No 18s for 05 (from the factory). Period.

And, the inability of AAI to build a car with 18s may be true. The Mazda 6 doesn't have 18s. It isn't false advertising. The designers wanted 18s, but for the 05MY it is impossible. They would need to shut the plant down to add whatever it is they need to add. They aren't going to delay job 1. However, I would say there is a chance of it happening when vert production starts. They'll need to make changes then, so maybe adding whatever they need for 18s will be included.
Old 8/10/04, 04:46 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patience...

I too want those 18's badly, If you can wait until '06, then by all means, go for it..

I for one, cannot wait, and I agree that it would be fantastic if Ford could offer a dealer-installed upgrade or gave '05 buyers some kind of discount on the wheels.

Here is the problem with that, I am pretty sure the minute your car rolls off the assembly line with the 17's, they cannot be resold or re-installed as new wheels. So the dealership cannot take your 17's off and send them back to the factory and give you full credit. (this is because of legal mumbo-jumbo). You can try and sell your new 17's on ebay or the local paper (there will surely be V6 owners looking for an upgrade) and pay the difference on the 18's.

I think I will wait it out for a little while, maybe Saleen or roush will end up with a few sets of 18's as take-off wheels and I can score a deal. This is wishful thinking, but never know.
Old 8/11/04, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale+August 10, 2004, 5:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grantsdale @ August 10, 2004, 5:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-will@August 10, 2004, 6:33 PM

And, the inability of AAI to build a car with 18s may be true. The Mazda 6 doesn't have 18s. It isn't false advertising. The designers wanted 18s, but for the 05MY it is impossible. They would need to shut the plant down to add whatever it is they need to add. They aren't going to delay job 1. However, I would say there is a chance of it happening when vert production starts. They'll need to make changes then, so maybe adding whatever they need for 18s will be included. [/b][/quote]
I was told at the Ford Fan Show in Indianapolis that they will be available through the dealers before MY 06, If that helps you decide which wheels to go with on your order. I can understand some people waiting till 06 too.
Old 8/11/04, 09:53 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Indystang+August 11, 2004, 11:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Indystang @ August 11, 2004, 11:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Grantsdale@August 10, 2004, 5:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-will
@August 10, 2004, 6:33 PM

And, the inability of AAI to build a car with 18s may be true. The Mazda 6 doesn't have 18s. It isn't false advertising. The designers wanted 18s, but for the 05MY it is impossible. They would need to shut the plant down to add whatever it is they need to add. They aren't going to delay job 1. However, I would say there is a chance of it happening when vert production starts. They'll need to make changes then, so maybe adding whatever they need for 18s will be included.
I was told at the Ford Fan Show in Indianapolis that they will be available through the dealers before MY 06, If that helps you decide which wheels to go with on your order. I can understand some people waiting till 06 too. [/b][/quote]
Who told you (their position I mean)? Do you think they knew what they were talking about?

I hope this is the case. I don't see why we couldn't get 18's through Ford Racing earlier. It has nothing to do with supply according to Thai-Tang so I don't see why they wouldn't.
Old 8/11/04, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dan,I talked at length with a Ford person on both the cars at the Ford show. A middle aged guy at the Torch Red GT wouldn't say anything for sure, but the Ford person at the Black GT said, looking into my eyes as if she wanted to tell me more than she was supposed to, "Just keep checking with the dealer". She sounded sincere and called them Crager Wheels. I asked her if they were the ones that Bill Ford had introduced in the video and she said yes. It's anybodys guess and things can change daily. I just wanted to pass this on to you all.
Old 8/11/04, 04:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
www.discounttire.com
Old 8/12/04, 02:28 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As soon as I figure out the offset and bolt pattern of the 05 mustang I will order aftermarket rims.........
Old 8/12/04, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Why is everyone so worried about the 18 inch wheels. Personally I havent really liked any wheel other than the 03 cobra wheel that ford has ever put on a mustang. If I get an 05 or 06 I will be looking at what steeda and other companies come out with. I will be looking to do 18*10 or 11 in the rear and 18*9 up front.
Old 8/12/04, 02:38 PM
GT Member

I think Retro 18 cragar's would be perfect... My brother had cragars on his 67 and they looked great....so they'd be a natural on the 05's