2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Side Airbags packaged with IUP?

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/04, 12:18 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had originally ordered IUP. Saw one without and preferred it. But now dealer says I have to give up the side air bags. If they are packaged together, then why are they priced seperately?
Old 12/19/04, 12:24 AM
V6 Member

To allow you to order IUP without airbags.

But I fully agree with your point, side air bags should not have been tied to IUP. That was a silly decision.
Old 12/19/04, 12:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by whtmule@December 18, 2004, 11:21 PM
I had originally ordered IUP. Saw one without and preferred it. But now dealer says I have to give up the side air bags. If they are packaged together, then why are they priced seperately?
If you're getting the side air bags purely for insurance purposes, then go for it with IUP. Personally, I didn't like the hard rib on the side of the seat where the air bag is placed....and I didn't care for the tag on the seat either. IUP without bags is what I chose. I didn't price the insurance difference if I had gotten them, so I don't know what the savings are.....but I can't imagine it being a whole lot.
Old 12/19/04, 07:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

To get the side airbags you have to get the IUP. You can however order the IUP without the airbags.
Old 12/19/04, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

The side air bags should have been standard on all Mustangs if for no other reason to protect the gene pool, since Mustangers are the most enlighten.
Old 12/19/04, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Giddyup@December 18, 2004, 11:45 PM
I didn't price the insurance difference if I had gotten them, so I don't know what the savings are.....but I can't imagine it being a whole lot.
uh, possibly your life...

I don't get people who didn't order side airbags. The hard thing on the side of the seat is BARELY noticible and it is a small tag that is the same color as the seat.

IMO, of course, if you didn't order side airbags you are stupid or were completely out of it when you ordered.

Thanks for your time.
Old 12/19/04, 10:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Badandy@December 19, 2004, 9:03 AM
IMO, of course, if you didn't order side airbags you are stupid or were completely out of it when you ordered.
Thanks for your time.
In the immortal words of Dirty Harry Callahan......"Opinions are like A--holes, everybody's got one". Hmmmm.....I see that the local Ford dealership here has had a total of eight Mustangs come in (all allocation), and they only ordered 2 of them with side airbags, and they were both V-6's. B) I guess they were either 'Stupid' or 'Out of It' by your analogy??? I'm not going to dispute side air bags as a life saver.........but the cosmetics, $$$, plus my own driving habits were factors for me. How 'bout all those cars on the road that don't have 'air bags' of any type....including the dash?
Old 12/19/04, 02:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

(--)
Old 12/19/04, 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Badandy@December 19, 2004, 9:03 AM
I don't get people who didn't order side airbags. The hard thing on the side of the seat is BARELY noticible and it is a small tag that is the same color as the seat.
BTW....the 'air bag' tag that is on the side of the seat is not the same color as the seat......at least not on the red leather ones.
Old 12/19/04, 10:07 PM

Yeah man, I ain't gonna waste $370 on side airbags; I've got such skills I can avoid anything. Wusses with lesser ability may have to worry about the driver door crushing in and sending one of them chest bones through their lungs or getting brain damage after their skull slams into the roof rail. Me, I'm gonna put that $370 toward something real important like the Shaker 1000 (only $1,770!). I'll save even more dough 'cause I won't have to buy scissors to cut off that ugly tag!!

EDIT: Just wanted to point out (to the slower folk) that this is sarcasm.
Old 12/19/04, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Giddyup+December 19, 2004, 1:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Giddyup @ December 19, 2004, 1:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Badandy@December 19, 2004, 9:03 AM
Thanks for your time.
In the immortal words of Dirty Harry Callahan......"Opinions are like A--holes, everybody's got one". Hmmmm.....I see that the local Ford dealership here has had a total of eight Mustangs come in (all allocation), and they only ordered 2 of them with side airbags, and they were both V-6's. B) I guess they were either 'Stupid' or 'Out of It' by your analogy??? I'm not going to dispute side air bags as a life saver.........but the cosmetics, $$$, plus my own driving habits were factors for me. How 'bout all those cars on the road that don't have 'air bags' of any type....including the dash? [/b][/quote]
Is your life worth about $300?

Need I say more?
Old 12/19/04, 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

My Mustang II ain't got any airbags and that ain't gonna ever stop me from driving it! Airbags are for people with paranoia!
Old 12/19/04, 11:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 78Mach1@December 20, 2004, 12:42 AM
My Mustang II ain't got any airbags and that ain't gonna ever stop me from driving it! Airbags are for people with paranoia!
do you live on a farm, married to your sister?, or are you just inbread?
Airbags save lives..... it's that simple!
Old 12/19/04, 11:44 PM
Bullitt Member

If I planned on buying a new mustang and driving it into a brick wall at 140MPH then I would have to go for the "side airbag" option. :bang:
Old 12/19/04, 11:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Badandy+December 19, 2004, 11:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Badandy @ December 19, 2004, 11:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Giddyup@December 18, 2004, 11:45 PM
I didn't price the insurance difference if I had gotten them, so I don't know what the savings are.....but I can't imagine it being a whole lot.
uh, possibly your life...

Thanks for your time. [/b][/quote]
well i didnt order only cause i know i am changing out the seats ASAP, otherwise i agree it is $300 for alot of added safty
Old 12/19/04, 11:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Better yet, put the $300 toward a bomb shelter in your back yard! when you start to worry..... you have much more to worry about.
Old 12/20/04, 06:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wide range of opinions on the air bag subject I see. For me it really is quite simple. I have kids that will ride in the front and perhaps some day drive the car. I'll go with the air bags.
Old 12/20/04, 07:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Please, no one put their childern in the front seat. Children should NEVER ride in the front seat of a car with airbags. Front airbags are designed to stop the forward momentum of an average sized ADULT and deploy with such force that they will and have KILLED children who have ridden in the front. If you must put your child in the front seat then PLEASE, move the base of the seat as far rearward away from the dash as you can.

On the subject of the side airbags. FORD should not have tied a safety item to the the ordering of a cosmetic item. Make it standard or a stand alone option.
Old 12/20/04, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree with Hellcat. My Mustang will be driving my wife and some day my kids. Of course I don't mind protection offered by Side AB either. Most of the time Side AB are there not to protect you from your mistake, but to save your life, when some unskilled/old/drunk/inexperienced driver hits you. I believe that Side AB will be soon required on all of the new vehicles sold in the States, so getting more protection for me and my family for less than $400 now is a true bargain to me.

Now, back to the real subject of the topic: would you consider getting a Mustang without IUP or with lite IUP if Side AB were no longer requiring you to get the IUP? In my case, I would at least consider getting light IUP. If any of the delaers happen to look at this post: is IUP still required when you get the side air bags option? Does it mean that all of the ppl that ordered Side AB are on hold 'cause of the IUP hold?
Old 12/20/04, 07:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Since everyone who ordered side airbags had to order IUP (package 18G) I suspect they are all on hold b/c of the IUP issue. Unless IUP is removed from the order the car will stay on hold until the IUP situation is resolved.

Quick Reply: Side Airbags packaged with IUP?