2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Side Airbag blues....

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/06, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to clarify one thing, when I referred to children in back, I meant small children in car seats. A good car seat is the safest thing. Once their big enough to be out of them then they should be safe next to a side air bag. ImatK is right, they are slower than they used to be but the NTSB also said the first air bags were safe and we found out differently. I'll stand by my belief until he's out of his car seat. If you can change your order, I think you should get them. It's like insurance, you hope you never need it but your glad you have it when you do.
Old 7/7/06, 10:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Greg, when I ordered my car, side airbags were a must for me. The resale means nothing to me, as I'm keeping my car for a LONG TIME. The main reason I got them, is for safety, and to lower my insurance price. My company gave me all the discounts due to the AAT, ABS, and side airbags. IMO, its a MUST HAVE!! Congrats on your order, and welcome to the site.
Old 7/7/06, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i made the choice to pick the car off the lot rather than order one...i would have ordered it but the car i wanted was already on the lot waiting for me and it only had 20miles on it....so i bought it but sometimes i wish i had ordered it so i could of had the airbags...BUT it would concern me if i tried changing the door sub or speaker and the airbag being a hassle to work around or inflating on me while i was working on the door
the airbags in the seat ..not the door
Old 7/7/06, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Given that the NTSB has conclusively proven that side CURTAIN airbags can PREVENT death or severe head injury, why would you even have to lament over this?

Just because one has never been in a side impact, doesn't mean you never will. Out on the roads, you just never know; it can be a war zone at times. Don't you want every advantage you can get?

Death is permanent. Too late to debate it then.
because for some people life of self and/or children/spouse is not worth 500 bucks ..thats just idiotic to me but hey thats me i chose the get cloth and siade airbags and the active alarm over leather
Old 7/7/06, 11:44 AM
GT Member

Red face

Ok, I think I have truly lost my mind now. I just called up my dealer and he put in another order for the identical car with side airbags. So, I either wait another 8 weeks or take delivery on the non-airbag car next week. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Another two months is going to be insane! Am I insane???
Old 7/7/06, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Will he let you use the car coming in next week as a loaner until the other comes in??! No Im joking, of course he wont !
Old 7/7/06, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Get the side airbags. Otherwise, you'll be beating yourself up forever.

You can't put a price on safety. That means both money and time (waiting).
Old 7/7/06, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ordered mine with. The 3-400 $'s are what, 7-10 tanks of gas? A pittance ofr the protection. ersonally, I'd change/cancel the order and get one with. JMO.

Dang, should've read the 2nd page before posting..................
Old 7/7/06, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know its tough to think get it next week or in 2 months. Think of it like this...you already are flip flopping if you should or shouln't get them. Lets say you dont and years go by and then something happens (im not wishing that on you) and a side airbag could have changed a bad outcome....how much would you beat yourself up over that.....

Its a hard one but I think I would wait the 2 months. OR explain to the dealer you thoughts on this and see if they can help. Maybe you can take the car you ordered now but have them swap out the seats with some that have the airbags. I would think you just unbolt/unplug the non-airbag seats and replace with ones that have them. Maybe it will be more than the 380 but then you wouldnt have to wait 2 months. Worst they will say is no...so ask!

JMHO
Old 7/7/06, 02:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i made the choice to pick the car off the lot rather than order one...i would have ordered it but the car i wanted was already on the lot waiting for me and it only had 20miles on it....so i bought it but sometimes i wish i had ordered it so i could of had the airbags...BUT it would concern me if i tried changing the door sub or speaker and the airbag being a hassle to work around or inflating on me while i was working on the door
The side airbags are in the seat backs. At least mine are anyway!
Old 7/7/06, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Wait the eight weeks. Since you over-analize everthing, it will torment you if you get one without. I don't have them, to tell the truth, I competely overlooked them when I ordered mine. If I were doing it again I would get them.
Old 7/7/06, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

I wanted side air bags. Having been in an accident where I really believe the air bags saved me from major injury and allowed me to walk away, I'm a firm believer. Side impacts happens, but there is no garuntee either way with or without the air bag protection. To me it was worth having the added security. I wouldn't have been worried too much about it had they not been available, but since they were I wanted them. I would have still bought the car without if I couldn't get them.

As for resale, I don't know what affect having or not having them will be. Once the demand has dropped significantly the resale of these cars wont be any better than previous Mustangs anyway.

I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 7/7/06, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford should have them as standard equipment today. If that were the case, there would be no need for this discussion. In a few years, I would guess that they will be standard on all vehicles built.
Old 7/7/06, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by incomingRPG
Ford should have them as standard equipment today. If that were the case, there would be no need for this discussion. In a few years, I would guess that they will be standard on all vehicles built.
Agreed
Old 7/7/06, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I didn't order them, I don't have them, and I don't care.
Old 7/7/06, 05:51 PM

Exclamation Get the side bags!

I got hit by a 16 year old girl, driving a borrowed car. She had been partying all night, then took the car and hit someone else. When she hit me, she was fleeing the scene of the other accident. She came flying through an intersection at 50 mph and broadsided my car - a BMW with side and head bags. Besides a sore neck, everything was OK. The car was totaled.

The girl's car ended up in a ditch, but she took off through some woods. The cops later found her trying to hitch-hike out of the area.

Get all the vehicle protection you can - it's the cheapest insurance you can buy.

I agree that it's criminal that Ford doesn't make the side bags standard. Shame on Bill Ford for that one.

I bet the side bags are standard in the GT500.
Old 7/7/06, 07:49 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrkabc
I didn't order them, I don't have them, and I don't care.
Old 7/7/06, 09:01 PM
GT Member

More people die from side impact collisions than in head on collisions. Side impacts are not only more common but consider the ammount of metal in front of you vs the amount of metal between you and the outboard side. Much less crumple space.

In January I survived a head on crash. I was doing 50 when a truck, estimated to be going 63, lost control and came into my lane. I had no where to go and T-Boned him after he went into a slide. While it wasn't a side impact don't ever think that it "can't" happen to you. After a broken feamer (spelling), heel, three toes and a bunch of screws I started walking in June without crutches or a boot. I'll have all of this for the rest of my life and I did nothing wrong. To top it off it was a truck full of 6 illegals. So, while I am responsible for my $98k (as of 4/1) in medical bills the rest of us paid for theirs. My point is that buy the best safety that you can up front because it pays large dividends later. Take the timeline out of it, step back and ask yourself what the best decision is. Then take that route. I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Pics of my truck:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/100_0193.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/100_0184.jpg <- the dent in from one of their heads as they were thrown from the bed of the truck. He as well as one other didn't make it.

My Foot/Leg:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/IMG_1909.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/IMG_1906.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/IMG_1911.jpg

Oh, and I didn't even mention the fact that I had to cancel my 06 Mustang GT vert that I had ordered on Dec 17th. It came just 2 weeks after the accident. Someone else is driving my car!
Old 7/7/06, 09:30 PM
Cobra Member

I believe the reason side impact airbags aren't standard, is the potential $200,000 fine for disabling them if you put in aftermarket seats. The reason I'm mentioning this it that Mustangs are used in many types of racing where the seats are often replaced with much more supportive seats that generally dont have side airbags.
Old 7/8/06, 12:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CrackaTrash
More people die from side impact collisions than in head on collisions. Side impacts are not only more common but consider the ammount of metal in front of you vs the amount of metal between you and the outboard side. Much less crumple space.

In January I survived a head on crash. I was doing 50 when a truck, estimated to be going 63, lost control and came into my lane. I had no where to go and T-Boned him after he went into a slide. While it wasn't a side impact don't ever think that it "can't" happen to you. After a broken feamer (spelling), heel, three toes and a bunch of screws I started walking in June without crutches or a boot. I'll have all of this for the rest of my life and I did nothing wrong. To top it off it was a truck full of 6 illegals. So, while I am responsible for my $98k (as of 4/1) in medical bills the rest of us paid for theirs. My point is that buy the best safety that you can up front because it pays large dividends later. Take the timeline out of it, step back and ask yourself what the best decision is. Then take that route. I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Pics of my truck:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/100_0193.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/100_0184.jpg <- the dent in from one of their heads as they were thrown from the bed of the truck. He as well as one other didn't make it.

My Foot/Leg:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/IMG_1909.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/IMG_1906.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...0/IMG_1911.jpg

Oh, and I didn't even mention the fact that I had to cancel my 06 Mustang GT vert that I had ordered on Dec 17th. It came just 2 weeks after the accident. Someone else is driving my car!

Wow, this is a very incredible post and very convincing. Your are a lucky man indeed. I'm sorry to hear about your missfortune but at least you are still here with us and have a valuable story to tell.

Quick Reply: Side Airbag blues....