2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

To show or not to show?

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/05, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so the "show and no go mods" are starting to add up. I'm thinking about entering a car show. Other than a trophy and pride, what do I get out of entering my car into a show? Is there any money??? I remember reading here about the $4 dolar trophy that cost thousands in mods....

I think I will have a pretty unique car (interior and exterior). And it would be a cool experience, but how do I talk to wifey into it????
Old 10/13/05, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

The prize completely varries from show to show. Some do give cash prizes and different amounts for how high you place. I wouldn't think that it would be too hard to talk the Mrs. into going with you, just go buy some $15 fold up chairs from Walmart and you'll be set.
Old 10/13/05, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I entered an All Ford show a few weeks ago in Phoenix and was lucky enough to win in my class! Unfortunately it was hot, and I'm a wuss, so I didn't stay for the awards. I actually just entered for fun and a reserved parking spot, and to hang out with the other people who I knew were entering.

The mods I've done are for me, not any judges (in this case it was the people who decided the winners and not judges) but if you have an attitude of going for fun winning a trophy is a pleasent surprise.
Old 10/13/05, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think my car looks kinda cool, and I've tried entering some local car shows since I've had it modded. It is an absolute blast. I get sooooo many positive comments. People tell me it's their dream car, ask me how I got one of the new Shelbys so fast, and in general, just lavish it (and me) with praise. I must admit that it feels good. Now for the bad part. Unless you've got precious little competition, or a degree in automotive detailing, don't expect a room full of trophies. Car shows are extremely competitive, and some people have nothing but time and money to spend on their cars. My car is clean and sharp as all get out, but it's also my daily driver. I can't compete with someone who pulls up and starts putting mirrors under their car to show off the perfect undercarriage. I also haven't learned the tricks to create a spotless engine compartment yet, but it gets judged anyway. My car was expensive, as far as I am concerned, and I have spent a few more thousand making it unique, but for some people, showing their car is not just a hobby, it's an obsession, and they will stop at nothing to win. The conclusion that I am coming to is that the many hours I spend detailing my car to attempt perfection are just not worth it. I have a car, not a museum piece brought in in a covered trailer. On top of it all, I spend on average $10 to enter each show just to get my butt handed to me.
As an alternative, try attending car cruises. At least around here, cruises don't cruise, but are like informal car shows. There is no entry fee, no judging, no trophies, no winners, and no loseres. People clean thier cars up nice, but won't hold a water spot against you. You get to meet lots of people with similar interests and they usually have food available and '50s music playing. All this and you still get the great comments and praise for a job well done, just without all the pressure of being perfect, or the aching back from all the cleaning. There are internet sites listing all of the car events you may have going on locally. Just google for "*** area car shows".
Have fun and let us know how things work out!
Old 10/13/05, 06:15 PM
GT Member

I agree with Jim! I go to the Cruises because they are a virtual get in free car show. You can come & go as you please & you get to hear most of them run!
Old 10/13/05, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I joined a local Mustang club at the beginning of the summer and I've had a blast. There are lots of good car shows and there's almost always money trees, 50/50 money pots, money and trophy awards for winners, etc. I've only entered 1 car show, paid $10 bucks to enter/registration and won $25 off the money tree and $80 worth of miscellaneous goodies.

But for me, I don't care much if I win anything or not, if I do, that's just extra gravey. It's all about the social aspect, talking and being around others that love cars. Seeing other cars - old and new and the love that goes into them=priceless.

We also have cruise-ins every Saturday, driving all over the place. I love that much better than the car shows, just pure clean fun.

Again, to me, that's what it's all about, not money. If you go into it just for money, you'll likely be disappointed more times than not and the pleasure will quickly fade.
Old 10/13/05, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys/gals are right on!!! I was kind of thinking along these lines, but I was just wondering. I've already starting thinking along the lines of just joining some local clubs and hanging out and driving around town. (I had gotten myself all excited about a drive to Tallahassee from Jacksonville this weekend and lo and behold, baby gets sick and the pool is loosing all its water - and wife is sick of doing both). So unless some of my mod suppliers want to pay me to show off their stuff, ie free advertisement, then my own enjoyment will be trophy enough.
Old 10/14/05, 05:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Like Craig said. It's about meeting new people who have the same thing in common.

"It's All About The Cars". It should not be about winning trophy's. Don't get me wrong it's fun to win trophy's but its not the main reason I go to shows.

MCA has National Shows and they judge cars according to a point system. We at CVMC adopted a modified version of that point system. This means you do not compete against other cars you compete on a points scale. You have a 2006 Mustang which is means you would be in the popular choice bracket until 2008.

If you go to a MCA National you will meet people from all over and make good friends.
Old 10/14/05, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by nole_trainer@October 13, 2005, 7:28 PM
OK, so the "show and no go mods" are starting to add up. I'm thinking about entering a car show. Other than a trophy and pride, what do I get out of entering my car into a show? Is there any money??? I remember reading here about the $4 dolar trophy that cost thousands in mods....

I think I will have a pretty unique car (interior and exterior). And it would be a cool experience, but how do I talk to wifey into it????
I've been to five shows since the summer started, and got third in one and first in another. While that's kind of cool, just meeting other people from all walks of life that live and breath the Mustang and muscle car lifestyle is what really makes it happen. I've joined a Mustang club, attend weekend cruises religiously (weather permitting), and have a new perspective about taking care of my car. Sometimes we get to the dragstrip for friendly competition. My wife just doesn't get it and doesn't want to, so we just spend time doing things we both like, and spend time doing our own thing. Great gal.

If you want to make money with your car, stop spending money on "show" and focus on "go". That's a different ball of wax. For now, I'm happy with the new paint job, a few bolt-ons, and that fantastic sound the car emits on the road. I just wish it could be year round. But even here in Maryland we garage them over the winter if we're able to.

John
Old 10/14/05, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have had my car in 2 car shows, just free entry no prizes, well one had trophy's but I could care less. My main thing was just showing my car and having other people appreciate your car the way you do. I just think its cool to have someone admirer your car and the various mods you may have done to it.
Old 10/14/05, 07:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 95SVTCobraVA@October 14, 2005, 6:26 AM
Like Craig said. It's about meeting new people who have the same thing in common.

"It's All About The Cars". It should not be about winning trophy's. Don't get me wrong it's fun to win trophy's but its not the main reason I go to shows.

MCA has National Shows and they judge cars according to a point system. We at CVMC adopted a modified version of that point system. This means you do not compete against other cars you compete on a points scale. You have a 2006 Mustang which is means you would be in the popular choice bracket until 2008.

If you go to a MCA National you will meet people from all over and make good friends.

I belong to a "cruising club" where the point is to drive the cars. I do go to shows because, as Tony as said,. it is a great time to sit around and talk about cars in general and Stangs in particular. Really have met alot of nice people besides checking out the cool rides. I have modded my car to my taste and really don't expect to win anything. Some of the bigger shows have different categories which satisfies the spectrum from "daily driver" to "trailer/garage gueen".
Old 10/14/05, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I joined a local Mustang club at the beginning of the summer and I've had a blast.
Craig, I hear one of the BEST Mustang Clubs out there is in Birmingham!