2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Shifter pivot Bolt Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/05, 10:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tranny is pretty notchy. So I was poking around with the shifter linkage last night to see if things looked in order.

I noticed the bolt that holds the bottom of the shift lever to the transmission shift rod was pretty loose. There is a plastic bushing here as well. So I looked in the service manual to find the torque specification for this bolt. No where in the service manual do they mention how to R&R the shifter assembly. So hence there is no shown torque value for the pivot bolt.

It does show the torque specs for the shifter brace that attaches to the transmission and the opposite end of the shifter rod where it attaches to the transmission. But not the pivot bolt where it attaches to the bottom of the shifter.

Does anybody maybe have a newer revised edition of the service manual thata shows this torque rating?
Old 10/29/05, 12:42 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know, mine gets loose too. I just thread lock it.
Old 10/30/05, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That nut is supposed to be somewhat loose. It is a stover style of locknut, so it won't vibrate off. The tighter it is, the notchier and stiffer you shifting will be. It should be snugged up so it just barely contacts the plastic bushings. Don't tighten it too tight or it will be very difficult to get into certain gears.
Old 2/9/06, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DENVER05GT @ October 29, 2005, 12:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My tranny is pretty notchy. So I was poking around with the shifter linkage last night to see if things looked in order.

I noticed the bolt that holds the bottom of the shift lever to the transmission shift rod was pretty loose. There is a plastic bushing here as well. So I looked in the service manual to find the torque specification for this bolt. No where in the service manual do they mention how to R&R the shifter assembly. So hence there is no shown torque value for the pivot bolt.

It does show the torque specs for the shifter brace that attaches to the transmission and the opposite end of the shifter rod where it attaches to the transmission. But not the pivot bolt where it attaches to the bottom of the shifter.

Does anybody maybe have a newer revised edition of the service manual thata shows this torque rating?
[/b][/quote]
I know this is an old post, but I am installing a Steeda Tri-ax shifter and asked their tech support the same question. They said 25-30 ft/lbs.