2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Sheet metal problem

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/05, 05:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been complaining about a weird metallic ticking noise coming from the right rear of my car....the one I just found out was build on my birthday last September.

I dropped it off at the dealer Tuesday night. By late Wednesday afternoon, all they could tell me was there is a "sheet metal problem" in the area where the rear shelf (what the rear speakers are mounted to) meets the rear quarter panel. They're keeping the car, waiting for Ford to tell them how to resolve this issue.

In the meantime, I'm driving around in an '05 Windveil Blue Taurus they've loaned to me at no charge. WB is a beautiful color!
Old 2/3/05, 05:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Sorry to hear that you and your stang are seperated.

I keep thinking of that alarm clock ticking inside the aligator in Peter Pan. As long as you are not Captain Hook, everything will turn out ok.
Old 2/3/05, 06:11 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Its so nice to know I am not insane....However I keep getting WOMANED when I go complain about it. "Road Noise" I was told........
Old 2/3/05, 06:16 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by barjon@February 3, 2005, 5:23 AM
I've been complaining about a weird metallic ticking noise coming from the right rear of my car
Yup, I've got that one. I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Let us know what they find!

I thought I had it figured out, but alas, I didn't. Mine is pretty faint though, a little stereo action makes me forget about it
Old 2/3/05, 06:30 AM
V6 Member

Yep, same here. I was thinking maybe it was one the speakers that was loose but a guess I was wrong. It's really annoying. I have noticed though that depending on the temperature sometimes it's there and sometimes you cant here it.
Old 2/3/05, 07:10 AM
Cobra Member

I read in one of the forums that there was a missing weld somewhere back in the trunk, passangers side I think it was. I couldn't find it though.
Old 2/3/05, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mother&country@February 3, 2005, 7:33 AM
Yep, same here. I was thinking maybe it was one the speakers that was loose but a guess I was wrong. It's really annoying. I have noticed though that depending on the temperature sometimes it's there and sometimes you cant here it.
Exactly. Above 60 degrees, it seems to stop. At colder temperatures, it's loud and clear!
Old 2/3/05, 08:08 AM
FR500 Member

Ah....this is making sense now, I hadn't observed the temprature thing, I'll keep an eye on that.

This is nothing earth shattering to me, but I'll have a little laundry list ready for that first service next month.

OR

Next week, if I keep driving the dogpoop out of her
Old 2/3/05, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I just got off the phone with my service advisor. He said the technician was able to "resecure" or "tighten up" a body panel, and the problem seems to have gone away.

We'll see tonight!
Old 2/3/05, 10:31 AM
FR500 Member

You know what, I actually shut off the stereo on the way to work this morning and just listened to what was going on. Here's what I found in my case:

It only rattles while coasting at slow speeds, give it a wee bit O' gas, and the rattle stops.

I got on the freeway, and after a short time, the noise went away completely.

Once the car warms up it stops? Interesting!
Old 2/3/05, 11:03 AM
GT Member

SixtySix

If your rattle is coming from the rear, and stops when the
car warms up, maybe it is exhaust related, and not body
panel related like barjon's?
Old 2/3/05, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by barjon@February 3, 2005, 1:27 PM
I just got off the phone with my service advisor. He said the technician was able to "resecure" or "tighten up" a body panel, and the problem seems to have gone away.

We'll see tonight!
KEEP US POSTED...THANKS
Old 2/3/05, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

It's fixed!!!
:dance:

Ford engineers directed the tech how to locate and tighten any trunk panels that may have loosened up.

During my 30-mile drive home, I heard nothing but the roar of the engine and the growl of the exhaust. Music to my ears!
Old 2/3/05, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@February 3, 2005, 8:11 AM
Ah....this is making sense now, I hadn't observed the temprature thing, I'll keep an eye on that.

This is nothing earth shattering to me, but I'll have a little laundry list ready for that first service next month.

OR

Next week, if I keep driving the dogpoop out of her
You gonna pass me up on mileage there SixtySix?
Old 5/4/05, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by barjon@February 3, 2005, 6:32 PM
It's fixed!!!

Ford engineers directed the tech how to locate and tighten any trunk panels that may have loosened up.

During my 30-mile drive home, I heard nothing but the roar of the engine and the growl of the exhaust. Music to my ears!
Barjon,

I got my new V6 this week, and guess what, it has exactly the same noise.

Did they weld it? How it was corrected? I am afraid of going to the dealer so soon and get nothing fixed.

Thanks.
Old 5/4/05, 06:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by barjon@February 3, 2005, 3:32 PM
It's fixed!!!

Ahhhh......the wonders of Silicone Caulk? 'jus kidding.....hopefully they fixed it right
Old 5/4/05, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Carlos, I'm very sorry to have to tell you that after 3 days the noise was back, and I've had it ever since.

Back in February I called my service advisor to let him know their fix didn't hold. I asked that they get back on the phone with Ford Engineering and figure out another solution. He said they couldn't do that without the car being there at the shop.

I just haven't had a chance to take time off from work to bring my car back for this, so I drive with the stereo on to drown out that noise, as well as the many rattles in the dash. Oh, and there's a new "squeak" that comes from the trunk area when I drive on a bumpy road, too.

I'll certainly keep you posted if/when it's all fixed. Best of luck with yours!
Old 5/4/05, 07:31 PM
Cobra R Member

tsb 4-26-16, is listed under the sticky technical area. I thought thats what this tsb was for. Not positive tho, as I dont have that issue with mine. I thought it was in concerns to a missing weld on the sheet metal in rear quarter area. Like I said I remember this from way back and not much info on it in the sticky area. Maybe this might help, not sure tho. good luck to those with this issue.