2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Shaker System - Good?

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/05, 05:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Redfire V6 Convertible, black top, black leather interior, IUP upgrade, 5 Spd Manual transmission on order. But I just ordered last week so I 've just asked my dealer to work really hard to try and do a dealer locate.

There is a likelihood that the car I get will be different. He said 'more options'.

What could that be? The only thing I can think of that I am missing is the Shaker system. Is there something else? Could there be other options I am not thinking of? (ICAP *i guess* but red on red icap, I doubt they can locate that)

Now, I paid 23,030.95 USD for this order. Which I think is a bit below MSRP (no plan though).

I think they will try to bump me up to 24,578.40 USD.

If the only thing different is a shaker, what do you think of this offer?
Old 5/24/05, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

I think the Shaker 500 is worth it. It's a very nice audio system, much better than the one on my old Mustang. The 6-disc in-dash CD changer is also very nice. I haven't heard the stock 05 audio system to compare it, though.
Old 5/24/05, 06:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I agree. I think the Shaker 500 is really cool. I burned six CD's worth of MP3's which is about 40 CD's worth. My entire collection is rideing along with me. And I could have gotten more then that if I didn't have such large file sizes when I burned the CD's.

Very cool, I don't even listen to the radio when I drive any more.
Old 5/24/05, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

I guess if I could have ever gotten one that would work worth a darn, I would have been basically satasified with my Shaker1000. But after 4 warranty replacements and it still skips and gives disc errors, I finally said skru it and replaced it with an aftermarket unit.
Old 5/24/05, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

The 500 is awesome.
Handles the highs and the lows like no factory unit I have heard.
Good luck. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 5/24/05, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

I agree it sounds good for a factory system. (Probably more to do with the speakers than the player) and the MP3 thing is neat. (Especially since I had been playing my CD's with a $30 portable player hooked in thru the old fashioned CD to cassette adapter)
It skips occasionally and says bad disc occasionally but I just reinsert it and it always works.
But whay I wanna know is why havn't they come out with a car radio player that has a USB slot that you can just pop a Flash memory key into and it plays your songs directly off that. No moving parts: No skipping.
Old 5/24/05, 08:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ABS, Exterior Appearance Pkg, Active Anti-Theft System and Side Air Bags are also options that you can get that you didn't list.
Old 5/25/05, 12:14 AM
GT Member

Ah yeah. That must be it. Hmm. I wouldnt mind all of that stuff.

What do you guys think of the exterior appearance pkg?

Is that the extra line on the side of the car going horizontally? I dont really like that one. What else does it do?
Old 5/25/05, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

It gives you the "Mustang" stripe and the spoiler (since the V6 doesn't have the spoiler stock). I said "No thank you!" I plan on putting on a ducktail once I get it and have no intention of putting any sort of striping on it.
Old 5/25/05, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Shaker 1000 and it more than I need. I haven't had a single problem with it. I also love the fact I can switch off the trunk subs with the press of a button. It is very handy.
Old 5/25/05, 10:18 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by jwede@May 25, 2005, 8:21 AM
I have the Shaker 1000 and it more than I need. I haven't had a single problem with it. I also love the fact I can switch off the trunk subs with the press of a button. It is very handy.
I agree. I love the Shaker 1000. I do have to turn off the sub when I really crank it though. Otherwise, I think that after 10 min. I'd go pre-maturely deaf!

I can't imagine that you could get a noticable difference from an aftermarket stereo. IMHO
Old 5/25/05, 10:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by KenW@May 25, 2005, 10:21 AM
I agree. I love the Shaker 1000. I do have to turn off the sub when I really crank it though. Otherwise, I think that after 10 min. I'd go pre-maturely deaf!

I can't imagine that you could get a noticable difference from an aftermarket stereo. IMHO
The Shaker 500 is the best bang for the buck. The Shaker 1000 is loud but the quality is poor. There are a lot of aftermarket subs you can listen to loud that won't drive you nuts.
Old 5/25/05, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm extremely happy with the 500. The best part for me is the MP3 player.

I think the system sounds great too. I currently have mine set for "Driver Side".
Old 5/25/05, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree, the Shaker 500 is a very good system. The bass is better than the Bose system that was in my Acura CLS (due to the 8" subs in the doors), the Bose had slightly better highs, but only by a very slim margin. The MP3 is a cool option as well.
Old 5/25/05, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

If you're used to the sound of factory systems, then you'll probably appreciate the Shaker (500 or 1000) system. If you're used to the sound of decent or good aftermarket you'll hate it.

I have the 1000, and I think it's mediocre at best. I think the bass is pathetic considering it has 2 8's and 2 10's. One good JL Audio 12" in the right box with some good JL Audio power would sound much, much better. The mids and tweets are junk. I really wish my car had not been optioned with it. I'd spend a little more (in total) for an aftermarket system, but the sound would be so much better. I may still rip this thing out.

I mean no disrespect to the fans of the Shakers. If you're happy with it, great. My advice would be: don't start listening to other systems. Once you get spoiled with good audio and experience crisp clear highs, awesome imaging, & tight controlled bass, it's tough to go backwards. It's an addiction, and it can get very expensive.

I do love the 6 disc in dash MP3 playing CD changer. Why can't the aftermarket get on this? :scratch:
Old 5/25/05, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After shaker #2, I have had no problems. I have the shaker 1000, and I love it. B)
Old 5/25/05, 10:57 PM
Cobra R Member

If you are an audio enthusiast I would buy the stock cd player, and upgrade yourself for cheaper and better quality. I have the stock cd player and it is plenty good for no extra money. I will eventually upgrade to dvd/tuner etc, better speakers and amps. Plus from what I hear, the shaker system has many problems according to all the posts on this forum. I dig the plain stereo, looks identical to the 500 I think but just has one cd, instead of 6. So my advice is save the money and buy a quality audio system customized to your liking if you really like your music. Plus other posts state that these speakers arent the best of quality, and many people are replacing those at the very least. Good luck, it just depends on what you want.
Old 5/26/05, 06:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I really like the Shaker 500. It's better than any stock car stereo I've ever had. IAlways room for improvement. I swapped out the front and rear speakers for Pioneer 4 way 6"x8"s and the sound is even better with crisper highs and tight mid bass. The mirrors even vibrate a bit more now when I crank it up, and you can feel the bass more. For $150 bucks more, I think the Pioneers where will worth it.

I'm keeping the stock headunit for sure, good features, MP3 6 disk, and good theft resistance (no thief wants to steal a stock stereo when there's Alpines and better out there). Sound quality is really good too. Pretty happy with it.
Old 5/26/05, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the 500 and love it. For a stock stereo system it really is very good. I guess if you're an audio junkie you may not be satisfied but if you're just looking for a good sound system that you don't have to tinker with, it will suffice. I also feel the stock unit provides a much cleaner look and, as someone else already said, who wants to rip a stock system? Good luck!

Jason
Old 5/26/05, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Radman@May 26, 2005, 3:03 PM
I have the 500 and love it. For a stock stereo system it really is very good. I guess if you're an audio junkie you may not be satisfied but if you're just looking for a good sound system that you don't have to tinker with, it will suffice. I also feel the stock unit provides a much cleaner look and, as someone else already said, who wants to rip a stock system? Good luck!

Jason
The only change I would make, unless you wanna get really picky, is changing out the factory door and rear speakers. For $150.00 to $300.00 worth pf speakers, the sound is sooooo much better than stock. Better imaging and much more efficient too!

I put some Infinity 6x8 coax in the doors and rear... only took about an hour. And although some say that the head unit / cross-overs do not send high frequency sounds to the rears... they are dead wrong. The factory speakers are a single cone and cannot reproduce the highs very well.

Quick Reply: Shaker System - Good?