2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Shaker 500 White noise at low volumes

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/05, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Shaker 500 system and at low volumes you can hear a white noise coming through the speakers. At times it actually gets louder and then lowers back to the original level. You don't really notice it when driving or with the engine running. It actually sounds like the noise you use on a home theater system to set the speaker balance.

Any clues on what component is causing this (amps or dash unit) and has anyone elese heard it?
Old 5/5/05, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

The ghost of Mustangs past.
Old 5/16/05, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by lodom@May 4, 2005, 10:48 PM
I have a Shaker 500 system and at low volumes you can hear a white noise coming through the speakers. At times it actually gets louder and then lowers back to the original level. You don't really notice it when driving or with the engine running. It actually sounds like the noise you use on a home theater system to set the speaker balance.

Any clues on what component is causing this (amps or dash unit) and has anyone elese heard it?
I have the same thing, did you ever find the problem ?
Old 5/23/05, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by gpalmer454@May 16, 2005, 11:15 AM
I have the same thing, did you ever find the problem ?
No, I haven't had it looked at yet. I suspect the amp(s), but when I take it to the dealer in for the noisy rear gear, I'll mention it. At least the problem doesn't appear to be widespread, but I don't know how many people are just sitting in their car without actually driving it. I don't notice it with the engine running, even though I think it is likely still there.
Old 5/23/05, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Roll your windows up!!!!

LOL. I thought I was having the same problem last week but I then noticed that my window was not completely rolled up as it appeared to be. Thought I was going to have to take the Shaker back.

Of course this does not appear to be the problem in your case.

Good luck with it.
Old 11/10/05, 11:58 PM
NEK

Lodom: Did you ever get this taken care of or solved? I just got my 2006 Mustang with the Shaker 1000 and have the exact same problem. It's really annoying especially during songs that may have brief musical pauses so you hear: Music-White Noise-Music...it just makes the whole system sound cheap.
Let me know if you found something out...thanks.
Old 11/11/05, 06:51 AM
V6 Member

With the Shaker 500, I hear the noise during quiet parts of certain tracks on certain CD's. There are some tracks where I don't hear it at all, so it may be an artifact of the recording you are listening to.
Old 11/11/05, 08:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by NEK+November 11, 2005, 1:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NEK @ November 11, 2005, 1:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lodom: Did you ever get this taken care of or solved? I just got my 2006 Mustang with the Shaker 1000 and have the exact same problem. It's really annoying especially during songs that may have brief musical pauses so you hear: Music-White Noise-Music...it just makes the whole system sound cheap.
Let me know if you found something out...thanks.
[/b]

I don't have the GT anymore, but I may purchase another one. I never carried it in for the problem, but I would have if I still had the car. Based on the responses, I don't think the problem is widespread, since most people havent heard it. If the dealer repairs yours, please let us know what it was.

<!--QuoteBegin-KevinS
@November 11, 2005, 7:54 AM
With the Shaker 500, I hear the noise during quiet parts of certain tracks on certain CD's. There are some tracks where I don't hear it at all, so it may be an artifact of the recording you are listening to.
[/quote]

No, it made this noise even with the radio on and the noise had its separate peaks and valleys. It sounds like the white noise a home stereo system makes during the speaker set up. Definately not normal or acceptable.
Old 11/11/05, 10:04 AM
NEK

Lodom: Okay, I'll let you know what the dealer ends up doing about it.
KevinS: The best way to describe the problem is when you turn your home speakers way up (max), but with nothing playing. You hear that sound almost like a river running in the distance? That's the noise that always coming out of my speakers.
Anyway, the easiest way to see if you have it is to simply get in your car, don't start the car but turn the radio on, then turn the volume to zero. You will hear that white noise even though the volume is at zero. If you turn the stereo off, the noise will stop.
It really is annoying and I'm the furthest thing from an audiophile or anything like that, so the fact that I'm noticing it and others are not has to mean it's not a widespread or common issue.
Old 11/11/05, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

I noticed the noise because I don't play the radio very loud to save what is left of my hearing. Most people I know play the stereo at louder levels than I do. I first noticed the white noise listening with the radio barely on, and the engine off sitting in my garage. Leaving the engine off was the key for me. With the engine on, it was much more difficult to notice.
Old 11/11/05, 04:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just got my '06 last weekend, I seem to notice slight white noise even when the stereo is turned off! The only thing I can think of that you guys might want to check is make sure that the "Compression" setting is off, and that the "Speed Vol" is set to 0. Those two things combined will likely enhance the problem, so turning them off might help.
Old 11/11/05, 04:48 PM
NEK

Buzzy: I'm a little confused. You say you're hearing the white noise coming from your stereo, but the stereo is off? I'm not sure that's the same problem some of us are reporting. I'm curious, how are you sure it's the stereo producing that sound...have you traced it back to a speaker?
I have compression turned off, but I do have the speed volume set (I seem to be one of the few people on this board that likes it). While I will experiement to see if that does solve the white noise problem when I get home tonight, if it does fix it...I wouldn't consider that an acceptable resolution. I shouldn't have to pick between one feature on the Shaker 1000 or listening to white noise pour out of my amps anytime the volume gets low (not that you're suggesting that I should).
Old 11/14/05, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

The first thing I tried was to turn off the speed volume. I was sure that was it, but it didn't have any effect. If there is a lot of hissing at low or high volumes, I'd say it is the amp(s). The noise I heard on mine strangely varied in loudness, even with the volume set a a steady low level.
Old 11/14/05, 08:27 AM
V6 Member

How about running the diagnostic test on the deck. Not sure, but I think you hold down the 4 and 6 pre-set keys while in FM mode and it will run thru some stuff.
Old 12/31/05, 10:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Try the Speed Volume settings you can have it varried so when you roll down window or any surrounding noise they volume will automaticaly increased , just maybe its up all the way ?
Old 1/2/06, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

My car made the noise parked in my garage without the engine running and the speed compensted volume off. It sounded exactly like the noise you use to set the level of a home theater 5 channel surround system.
Old 1/4/06, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by lodom@January 2, 2006, 11:34 PM
My car made the noise parked in my garage without the engine running and the speed compensted volume off. It sounded exactly like the noise you use to set the level of a home theater 5 channel surround system.

I too noticed this yesterday. I was in the garage, car doors shut. faint white noise. but considering i dont sit around in my garage with the engine off, I am not concerned too much.
Old 1/4/06, 09:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I think that when you are listening to a cd then shut the car down it wirs untill it stops, then another noise when I shut the car off My son thinks the tranny's gears are still spining as it sounds like a jet engine powering down