2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine/Gas Guage

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/05, 04:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe someone has heard of this...yesterday I stopped for gas and put $20 in the tank. After starting the car the gas guage sits at 1/4 tank. I waited maybe 2 minutes and it then popped up to 3/4 where it should have been. Ok, its a fluke right? Later driving down the road it drops to empty and the gas light pops on. I continued driving and it evened out again. I noticed the service light popped on while this was happening. I havnt noticed it happening any since last night, but the service light is still on.

Ill call the dealership Monday to fix, but I was looking on some insight from others experiences.

I have also noticed it being a little unresponsive. Sometimes after it has first been started up and you start driving, the steering wheel vibrates back and forth for a while.
Old 10/10/05, 09:03 PM
GT Member

Ok...no help on this one.

I called the dealer and when I told her what vehicle I had she immediately asked if it happened right after i filled up. She told me to go and take the gas cap off, tighten it back on, and then drive it a few days to see if it goes off....wtf?
Old 10/11/05, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by xetrov@October 10, 2005, 8:06 PM
Ok...no help on this one.

I called the dealer and when I told her what vehicle I had she immediately asked if it happened right after i filled up. She told me to go and take the gas cap off, tighten it back on, and then drive it a few days to see if it goes off....wtf?
I got a similar response from my dealer. They suggested that the fuel tank is very sensitive to overfilling and that the error is a result of a buildup of pressure in the tank.
Old 10/11/05, 06:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exact same thing to me and my dealer put techron in the tank and said to go through two tanks of gas and see if the problem went away. Problem solved and Ford picked up the $100 tab
Old 10/15/05, 01:24 PM
GT Member

Today I started my car and the light was off....guess it fixed itself..
Old 10/15/05, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

Last week the digital readout indicated that I had a DTI Fuel Date Error and even though the tank was full it gas gauge went to empty. So I shut the engine off and restarted the message was the same but this time the gas guage showed a full tank. I took the mustang into the dealer, apparently a sensor needs replacing and since the part comes from eastern Canada I will probably not have the problem fixed until the 20th October.
Old 10/15/05, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

Last week the digital readout indicated that I had a DTI Fuel Date Error and even though the tank was full it gas indicator went to empty. So I shut the engine off and restarted the message was the same but this time the gas indicator showed a full tank. I took the mustang into the dealer, apparently a sensor needs replacing and since the part comes from eastern Canada I will probably not have the problem fixed until the 20th October.
Old 10/16/05, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe someone has heard of this...yesterday I stopped for gas and put $20 in the tank. After starting the car the gas guage sits at 1/4 tank. I waited maybe 2 minutes and it then popped up to 3/4 where it should have been. Ok, its a fluke right? Later driving down the road it drops to empty and the gas light pops on. I continued driving and it evened out again. I noticed the service light popped on while this was happening. I havnt noticed it happening any since last night, but the service light is still on.

Ill call the dealership Monday to fix, but I was looking on some insight from others experiences.

I have also noticed it being a little unresponsive. Sometimes after it has first been started up and you start driving, the steering wheel vibrates back and forth for a while.
--------------------------------------

--------------------------------------
(gas gauge not moving) If the key is left in the 'on' position when you're getting gas the gauge isn't going to move when you start the car. Turn the key to the 'off' positon then start the car. The gauge will move to full.
(check engine light) I had that problem a couple of times...the first time it happened the dealer asked me to check the gas cap (I always make sure it's on tight) then asked me to bring the car in. They reflashed the computer and the car was fine.
The light came on again a few weeks later, then shut off on it's own a week later.
The third time it came on I took it in and they found a valve on, I believe either the exhaust or fuel system, was sticking in the open position causing the light to come on.
They reset the light and ordered the part, and when it came in a month later I took the car in and got it back in less then an hour.
No problems since then.