2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Selling my Car, Looking for Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/08, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Why do you want the Shelby? Is it the pathetic performance enhancements, the slight appearance, the the cache of owning a car with the name Shelby EVERYWHERE?

Good luck!
They are rediculously overpriced for a car to have the stupid shelby name all over it. I say keep what you have. Unless of course you enjoy paying for the pleasure of having someone elses name all over your car.
Old 1/29/08, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

If what you really want is a SGT. Go for it. but, since you asked for an opinion....

Call me insane. But NONE of the mustang variants (shelby GT, GT500, bullitt, etc, etc) have made me even flinch so far. And I would still buy another "plain" GT if I had to do it again right now.

Not that the other cars are not cool in their own right. I just feel that for what you are getting, the price is WAYYY out of wack.

Street price for the Shelby GT should be no more than a 5K dollar option package over a GT Premium. And the GT500 no more than 10K over a GT premium. At those prices they are both nice cars and worth the money.

Between the MSRP being a little high, and the dealer markups, in my mind both of them are just not worth the cash.

There is no original Shelby anything in either car with the GT500 being the worst offender. Simply a marketing ploy imo.

As far as holding value. Sure. If you are going to take a car, put it in the garage, rub it with a diaper and moth ball it for 35+ years. You might as well start with a special edition. But if you intend on driving it much, I just don't see how there would be an investment there.
Old 1/29/08, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Concur

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
They are rediculously overpriced for a car to have the stupid shelby name all over it. I say keep what you have. Unless of course you enjoy paying for the pleasure of having someone elses name all over your car.
I agree with your sentiments; however, I think there is a world of difference between the GT500 and the Shelby GT. The GT500 would be a real value and have all the panache, cache I could want only if it was obtainable @ MSRP or below ($42,170 - $46,995). That said, dealers adding up to 20K for the pleasure of driving one a ridiculous proposition. We're talking Corvette Z06 territory here.
ri·dic·u·lous
Pronunciation:
\rə-ˈdi-kyə-ləs\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Latin ridiculosus (from ridiculum jest, from neuter of ridiculus) or ridiculus, literally, laughable, from ridēre to laugh
Date:

Even more preposterous is the Shelby GT ($36,970 - $38,970 MSRP) which is nothing more than a Mustang GT with an Identity Crisis. Here the dealers are feasting at the kill like a pack of hyenas and are adding up to $5k on top of the already unrealistic MSRP. In the words of Mr. Gump, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

By far the best deal IMHO, is a fully loaded Mustang GT Coupe (around $30K) with all the bells and whistles. Take the extra $12-13K and build your own “Beast” of a Mustang.
Old 1/29/08, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, guys. I am taking every bit of your advice/opinions seriously. You may talk me out of getting a Shelby yet. As I said, I do love my current GT, my motivation is purely emotional, and you're putting up some pretty good arguments.

I agree that a SGT MSRP is too high at 9500 over a regular GT, but I've already been offered an 07 for $34500. Doesn't that seem reasonable, given the upgrades? Then again, the car came with the 07 quirks like the wavy hood scoop, cheap hood pins, and the hacksawed factory grille. That's why I wanted the 08. I contacted Michael Morris to see if the options I wanted were common or not, and he said that there are currently over 500 cars out there that meet my requirements. What if I could get an 08 for under $35k later in the year? Still overpriced?
Old 1/29/08, 10:26 AM
V6 Member

I would keep the car you have it's a nice looking car..Enjoy it !!! I think the Shelby's are way overpriced for what you get.
Old 1/29/08, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Get what you want, as you can see everyone has an opinion of what they think would be the best deal for you, based on their own opinion of the car in general.

ONLY you are going to be happy with whatever you end up with, be it the SGT or if you decide to keep your GT. You win either way regardless. You know what your paying for with the SGT, take it or leave it.
Old 1/29/08, 12:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Buying a car is an extremely emotional thing, and everyone has the one car they really want to own. If you can wait, I would suggest you think about the '08, if you can get one in the same ball park as the '07.

Right now, almost everyone who was chomping at the bit for a Shelby most likely has one. So, that leaves the "regular" buyer who is in the market for one, but really not in a rush. Let your dealer know you are a serious buyer, and will "consider" an '08 in the same price range as the '07.

I walked out, on my dealer, three times before they called me with the right deal. Remember, you are in total control, not the dealer!

So, take your time, and buy the car you really want, not a suitable substitute. Don't "settle" for the '07 if you really want the '08, you will be much happier.

Good luck!
Old 1/29/08, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Jim, you need to sit down and really think for a while about which one you really want to keep for a long time. That's the only way you won't end up taking the depreciation hit that your looking at on your 05'. If you keep it, keep it, and be happy, it's a great car. If you have the money to take the hit on your current ride and buy the 08' SGT, then DO IT! It sounds like you want to. Just determine beforehand that you're not going to be in the same state of mind two years from now, because then you might just take an even bigger depreceation hit depending on the whims of people like you who want a "Shelby". When you buy a new car the only way to get the full value out of it is to keep it, and drive it a long time.
Since you asked for opinions though, here's mine. Buy the SGT, I can sense that's what you want, but buy the 08' and keep it for 25 years. Good Driving!
Old 1/29/08, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Go for it. If that is what you want, no one here can put a value on the emotional benefit conveyed to you by the Shelby. I went the opposite way and built a GT/CS to incorporate Shelby function. It cost me less than the SGT coupe for my Vert -- but I just decided Carroll's name on the plate wasn't worth 10K to me. If it is to you, I say go for it -- most of us buy Mustangs because we like them and they make us feel good. That value is priceless.
Old 1/29/08, 02:55 PM
Cobra R Member

I am on the more pragmatic boat myself: the Shelby GT is not worth the sum of its parts. If you are so hung up on having some old man's name (however legendary) on the car, then go ahead and pay the inflated premium for it. I myself am looking at a GT/CS, which is only about $1800 above a standard GT. I can then take the money I save from NOT buying a Shelby GT and build the car how I want it.

One can argue the "collectibility" value of the Shelbys, but as previously stated, are you ready to rarely drive it, baby it to death, and then hope that MAYBE 30 years down the road it will have additional value? Not for me, thanks. I buy my Mustangs to drive them.
Old 1/29/08, 03:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Are you gonna mod the Shelby? Make it more of what you like, than what it is now?

If so, then keep what you have. You've already spent time, money, and energy making your GT the way you like it. And your finding out that your dealer doesn't care about that..... why should he. If you plan to do the same with the Shelby, then what's the difference between that and what you currently have? Only the name "Shelby". Is that worth it to you?
Old 1/29/08, 03:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Man, I just can't get over the ridiculous mark-ups that dealers are still charging for the SE cars. What's even more amazing is that people are still paying them, otherwise they wouldn't still be charging them!
Old 1/29/08, 05:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Buying a SE Mustang is about more than the value of the performance offered over the base GT. It is about passion for the car you choose. When you walk out to the car, how will it make you feel? I'm guessing the SGT will give you a huge grin. Especially when you start it up. If you get the same feeling from your modded GT, then no need to upgrade.

I know I still get all giddy when I walk up to my Shelby. I love Modded GTs, but, I doubt they would give me the same feeling.

As far as 08 vs 07, get the one you really want. Even if it costs you a couple thou more. When buying a car like that, you don't want to "settle". I'd buy the '08 just to be able to get it in Vista. the improvements are just icing.

If performance per dollar is your priority, then you will be able to build a faster GT for the same money. But, is that really your priority?
Old 1/29/08, 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

I realize this is even more money (more than a GT500 even), but, I could see me in one of these in blue. I especially like the 9th pic, the first one of the rear view of the car.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=74415
Old 1/29/08, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Peformance isn't my primary motivation, but I would like more. I already have an intake and tune, which puts me fairly near what the SGT is putting out. I would like the better handling and sound, but that's easily done to my car. I guess it really is just the name. I would probably mod the Shelby as well, but not as much as I want done to my car. I would want different rims and a supercharger. I want the same for my GT, which actually doesn't look too bad. I like the CA Dream hood. I get compliments on it all the time from people that think it's a Shelby (GT300 stripes and the older, smaller fender snakes). But I find myself always telling them, "No, it's not a Shelby, it's just a GT with stickers." It doesn't say Shelby anywhere except the dash, but that's an actual signature from the man himself, so I guess he's at least touched my car, which is more than most SGTs. As far as his name all over the SGTs, it's no worse than Foose or Roush, but I see your point. You guys are really helping me think through this and discover my true motivation. It's just the nostalgia and emotion. If I got a Shelby, it would be a daily driver, not a museum piece, and I'd probably never sell it anyway. Then again, that's the way I felt about my GT until I saw Mr. Shelby getting involved again. I'm all ears if anyone has anything else to add. Thanks.
Old 1/29/08, 11:13 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
In the end its up to your gut, and your wallet, and of course your wife, my wife would probably have been happier getting a SE and me not touching it, but I got my GT intending to make it my own, and so far it may not be for everyone, but I absolutely love it. The wife hates the time I spend on it though. I've had to give up my 3 times a week golfing habit for my Modded Mustang habit. If life goes good I may get a future SE, but this GT is the first car I've ever had that I didn't have to work out of or put a car seat in. Finally, a car for me that I can make my own and while I've spent a few thousand on it, I started on it for under $28,000.00. My freakin truck and the wifes SUV cost alomst 10k more I've never gotten a single compliment on any one of them. The GT is a bargain in my opinion, the SE's are ridiculous for the name, in the end I love what Mr. Shelby did, and is doing for the Mustang, but I don't need his name on the car to give me contentment.
Old 1/30/08, 01:54 AM
Cobra Member

I say pony up (so to speak) and just buy a Shelby GT500. Then you can have your Shelby that you have always wanted and also have the s/c plus the other mods that come with it.

I have ran into a few smaller dealers that are/were willing to sell the 500 for msrp. (without the crazy 15-20k markup).
Old 1/31/08, 12:18 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I know this is far fetched, but have you looked into the possibility of sending your car to Shelby in Las Vegas, and having them convert it into a SGT?

It may not be possible, but it's worth a try!

Another thing, you've had your car for quite some time now. Just 4 months less than mine. I think that if you had put a little more into the GO department, you'd be a lot more content with the car.

I'd say talk to Shelby about converting yours into a SGT, and then throw a Whipple/Kenne Bell/Saleen blower on that bad boy, and you'll be better off in the wallet and in your heart.

Unless you are just dying to get that New Car Scent back, I'd stick with what you've got now. Especially since it's Sonic Blue.
Old 1/31/08, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

The TMS Support Team has spoken, and I have heard. In the Common Sense vs. Emotional Nostalgia battle, common sense will win for now. I am going to hold off and consider what I can do with my current GT, especially in the performance department, since I already like the way that it looks. Since the supply of SGTs seems to be decent, they won't run out anytime soon. If the prices drop dramatically this summer, maybe I'll reopen the idea. There could even be news of something I'd want more (GT350, Mach 1?) or maybe I'll just go ahead and get that KB? Worse case scenario is that I'll find a slightly used SGT at a later date and pay much less money for it. It's good to have friends to show you the way...
Old 1/31/08, 10:12 PM
GT Member

As much as I love cars, Mustangs especiallly, people need to stop looking at cars as investments and start driving and enjoying them. Yes I know muscle cars are going for ridiculous prices, but all that is going to change when the oil is gone. It's coming, and when it happens all these guys who paid upwards of 100k for some garage queen are going to regret spending all that money and never actually enjoying the car.

Sorry to get off topic but my point is- You only live once. Buy what you want now. Drive it and enjoy it. The collector car market as we know it will unfortunately be drastically different in 30-40 years. There's nothing anyone can do about that. Not to mention these cars, as great as they are, just aren't the same as the cars from the muscle-car heyday of the late 60's-early 70's. By the time modern cars are old and rare enough to reach "collector" status, there won't even be gas to run them on.

That said... buy the car, drive it, love it. Then sell it and buy a better one. That's how cars should work.

Now, if only I could follow my own advice! (ref. T/A in sig, I just can't part with it)