Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat construction question

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/05, 11:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Can someone take a look at the seats in their GT or V6 and answer this question? The seat cushion on my passenger side is constructed slightly different than the driver side. If I feel under the back bottom side of the passenger seat, I feel a padding similar to auto carpet backing, then a layer of a semi rigid flexible plastic, followed by a layer of plastic, then the seat cushion foam.

Reaching under the driver's seat I just feel a coated version of the seat cushion. I was wondering if the other members cars were made this way, or if Ford could have changed the design of the seats? I realize the driver's is power and the passenger's is not. Also the passenger's seat has the pressure switch in it for the airbag, so this may be the reason.

The reason I'm asking about this, is I'm thinking about adding the addtional layers to the driver's seat and see if it will firm up the seat some. I find the driver's seat to be pretty uncomfortable in the seat area after about 15 minutes of driving.
Old 5/15/05, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by lodom@May 14, 2005, 12:30 AM
Can someone take a look at the seats in their GT or V6 and answer this question? The seat cushion on my passenger side is constructed slightly different than the driver side. If I feel under the back bottom side of the passenger seat, I feel a padding similar to auto carpet backing, then a layer of a semi rigid flexible plastic, followed by a layer of plastic, then the seat cushion foam.

Reaching under the driver's seat I just feel a coated version of the seat cushion. I was wondering if the other members cars were made this way, or if Ford could have changed the design of the seats? I realize the driver's is power and the passenger's is not. Also the passenger's seat has the pressure switch in it for the airbag, so this may be the reason.

The reason I'm asking about this, is I'm thinking about adding the addtional layers to the driver's seat and see if it will firm up the seat some. I find the driver's seat to be pretty uncomfortable in the seat area after about 15 minutes of driving.

I just changed out the pads and the fabric on my seats.
The layer of plastic you feel is the airbag sensor/scale. The auto carpeting you feel may be that the seat cover is not hooked into the seat.
I couldnt believe it but most of the "straps/hooks" were not fastened under the seat so it made the removal easier...
Old 5/15/05, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks.

I too have found at least one unfastenened hooks on the passenger seat.
Old 5/15/05, 08:32 PM

I too have found my straps hanging on the passenger seat. Did somebody forget to do their job or are they just coming loose?
Old 5/15/05, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hiflyntdwg@May 15, 2005, 10:35 PM
I too have found my straps hanging on the passenger seat. Did somebody forget to do their job or are they just coming loose?
Same here....what gives??