It would be if it were credible.
Old 9/8/04, 12:03 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Kevin, I needed to hear that!!!
Old 9/8/04, 12:11 AM
Cobra R Member

sounds more like a rumour rather then fact...ive searched every autonews i can think of and found nothing about this...

did however find this little article about mustang interest...

http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories20...903012637.shtml
Old 9/8/04, 12:47 AM

Well at least they caught the problem before it got out of hand, I'd hate to be spanking one of those GTOs (cavaliers??) and have the block fly to pieces.
Old 9/8/04, 02:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

"In what could prove to be the most devesting news; however, is that the Ford GT "40" is alleged to have cylinder heads that contain defects in the combustion chamber pocket area. According to sources, Ford is allegedly making design changes to the cylinder head and will create a new casting which is targeted for release by 01 January 2005. Rather than issue a recall for the Ford GT, Ford would most likely issue a TSB (technical service bulletin) and repair the vehicles only as needed. Look for an update on the GT heads at a later date."

So frustrating. Just when I'm thinking that maybe we can play on the world stage again, this happens.
Old 9/8/04, 03:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Robert@September 8, 2004, 10:32 AM
"In what could prove to be the most devesting news; however, is that the Ford GT "40" is alleged to have cylinder heads that contain defects in the combustion chamber pocket area. According to sources, Ford is allegedly making design changes to the cylinder head and will create a new casting which is targeted for release by 01 January 2005. Rather than issue a recall for the Ford GT, Ford would most likely issue a TSB (technical service bulletin) and repair the vehicles only as needed. Look for an update on the GT heads at a later date."

So frustrating. Just when I'm thinking that maybe we can play on the world stage again, this happens.
Read that part again. It says it's alleged to have defective cylinder heads. Ford has got a lot of attention for the GT outside of the US, at least here in Germany. You can read reviews, impressions, whatever about it in ANY magazine or newspaper, be it a car magazine or the weekly news mag. And they all say it's fabulous. Unfortunately, allocation for us Krauts is only 101 cars, and they are, of course, already sold. But Ford Germany even created a GT area on their homepage, although all 101 cars had been sold the day order banks were opened. That should give you some impression of how much of a status symbol the car is, and I think the GT actually IS a world class car and can easily compete with the Porsche Carrera GT and other vehicles in its class.
Old 9/8/04, 05:12 AM
GT Member

It had a lot of attention in Belgium too, fwiw.
Old 9/8/04, 06:07 AM
Cobra Member

At least Ford is hopefully not letting the Mustangs go out with known issues. I know we're all disappointed with the delay, but I can only imagine how much of a blow it would be to the corporate image if their most famous car receives receives negative press over a major problem.

If the problem affects power, I'm sure Ford knows the Mustang community would find out about it quickly, since they know we're anxious to put these cars on the dyno and find out the real horsepower!

If this is true, I'm just trying to figure out how the defective cylinder head issue just showed up recently, since the F150's have been using them for a while? Or are there actually F150s with these heads already on the streets? Without more information on the problem, I'm wondering how they will only incur a delay of a couple of weeks. This may or may not be a bigger deal than than than the article implies, but hopefully it is already taken care of.
Old 9/8/04, 06:13 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If is is true, it is a good thing they caught the problem so early in the game.

There are maybe a few hundred cars affected by this, it is a lot better that they catch the mistake early in the game than to have to bring cars back to fix "the tick"
Old 9/8/04, 06:32 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's assume this is true and there is currently a manufacturing problem with the 3V heads.

This is NOT a big deal. Ford has been manufacturing the 3V heads for over a year and has built well over ONE MILLION 3V heads!

When you are building ANYTHING in huge quantities like this, manufacturing process problems crop up. The problem could be anything, porous castings, bad valves from a supplier, bad rocker arms, cams, valve springs, who knows?

The bottom line is that if there really is a problem, Ford has already identified it and put in place a fix. It looks like at worst there will be a 2 week disruption in 3V, V8 production. Any problem with 3 valve heads is critical. Forget the Mustang, the 3V heads are used in the F-150 which sells close to 1M units a year and is critical to FoMoCo. Any problem will be fixed immediately (if it hasn't been fixed already)!
Old 9/8/04, 06:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FORD would not let mustangs leave the plant with known issues. Sure they may have some minor bugs to work on that will delay production a bit but that is expected. Most of these rumours floating around I don't even bother worrying about.
Old 9/8/04, 07:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Don't take it that seriously. Robert Lane (the publisher of BON) is just looking to rain on Ford's parade. There's a few things I want to point out:

1. He uses the word "alleged" in his article title
2. He says "The products that can contain the defective engines include the 2005 Ford Mustang GT". He doesn't say the Mustang line has been stopped or that any Mustangs have definitely been affected.
3. He says "we received a news tip at the end of August". Why did he wait until the day of Job 1 to report it? Sounds like a smear job to me...

BON is like the National Enquirer of the internet auto news. Everthing they post has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 9/8/04, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Whew......I took my Chill pill....Now I'm OK. B)
Old 9/8/04, 08:28 AM
FR500 Member

Thanks for shedding a little truth on this Tom, I was beggining to think everyone was going to fall for this.
Old 9/8/04, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Also, BON was sued by Ford a few years back for leacking insider information, and they are still mad about that. There is even a section of the site that talks about the law suit. Anyway, it is a small issue, if it is true even. I post regularly on BON and their boards are by far the best and most informative. Just learn to ignore the news on the front page.
Old 9/8/04, 09:25 AM
GT Member

BlueOvalNews is a Ford hate site. They blow everything out of proportion and try to find ANYTHING (even a unsubstantiated rumor) that could possibly degrade Ford's reputation and make a huge stink about it. :angry:

For a while they had a banner ad on their main page soliciting ANY legal documents, information on any lawsuits anyone had opened against Ford, or any "classified" info that a disgruntled Ford employee might want to leak to the public. :angry:

Take anything you read on BON with a HUGE grain of salt. :angry: :angry:

They have a huge section on the SN95 mustang fuel tanks. They make a huge deal about the SN95 meeting the federal crash standards but not exceeding them, even though no other legitimate news source cares. Somebody there at BlueOvalNews wants to be Erin Brockovich.

Sorry, I just had to vent....
Old 9/8/04, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@September 8, 2004, 6:38 AM
Don't take it that seriously. Robert Lane (the publisher of BON) is just looking to rain on Ford's parade. There's a few things I want to point out:

2. He says "The products that can contain the defective engines include the 2005 Ford Mustang GT". He doesn't say the Mustang line has been stopped or that any Mustangs have definitely been affected.
3. He says "we received a news tip at the end of August". Why did he wait until the day of Job 1 to report it? Sounds like a smear job to me...

BON is like the National Enquirer of the internet auto news. Everthing they post has to be taken with a grain of salt.
:whew:

I was starting to panic.
thanks for the heads up.
Old 9/8/04, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@September 8, 2004, 6:38 AM

:whew:

I was starting to panic.
thanks for the heads up.
Old 9/8/04, 10:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Vermillion98@September 8, 2004, 9:28 AM
BlueOvalNews is a Ford hate site. They blow everything out of proportion and try to find ANYTHING (even a unsubstantiated rumor) that could possibly degrade Ford's reputation and make a huge stink about it. :angry:

For a while they had a banner ad on their main page soliciting ANY legal documents, information on any lawsuits anyone had opened against Ford, or any "classified" info that a disgruntled Ford employee might want to leak to the public. :angry:

Take anything you read on BON with a HUGE grain of salt. :angry: :angry:

They have a huge section on the SN95 mustang fuel tanks. They make a huge deal about the SN95 meeting the federal crash standards but not exceeding them, even though no other legitimate news source cares. Somebody there at BlueOvalNews wants to be Erin Brockovich.

Sorry, I just had to vent....
I agree 100%! BON is a Ford hate site. Look at the front page and you'll see that most are negative news.
Old 9/8/04, 12:09 PM
FR500 Member

considering the title, I'll be the first to say it:

It ain't so...