2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Saw my first GT in person today.....

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/04, 02:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went down to the dealership today to look at the first GT available in Longview. My girlfriend and I both looked it over and drove it (Torch Red on Red Leather). B) It was beautiful, but after looking it over carefully and driving, we both gravitated to the Screaming Yellow V-6 inside the showroom. I do have a Satin Silver GT on order, but now I am leaning heavily towards the V-6 for a number of reasons: (1) I like the body lines much better on the V-6 (especially up front). (2) The insurance is $350 per year cheaper for me. (3) I have driven both cars, and the V-6 has more than enough power for me (conservative driver w/no auto-X or race plans....ever). (4) The GF didn't like the GT at all....and she sees a better value (all things considered) at $22,000 vs. $28,450. The GT has a better exhaust note, and you can definitely feel the greater horsepower, but the V-6 has quite a bit more power than the old 289 V-8 did IMO. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet, but thought I'd let my thoughts out there for now.....
Old 11/27/04, 02:21 PM
rex
Mach 1 Member

pretty much the same reasons that I'm going with the V6...Rex
Old 11/27/04, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Cost of the car is a big consideration and long term usage (driving habits). I received quotes from Geico online it was only about a $100 difference per 6/months...That makes it a harder decision for me to make....I don't know which way to lean....
Old 11/27/04, 02:41 PM
rex
Mach 1 Member

Although I do believe the GT will have a better resale value in years to come....what say you?...Rex
Old 11/27/04, 02:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you should wait for the V6 5 speed manual to come out? It's supposed to be a lot of fun to drive, and it would be even cheaper!
Old 11/27/04, 03:09 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm confused on the "body lines" comment.
The front bumper and the rear cut-outs, (only things I can think of) are THAT much different?
I can see not likning the driving lights. They take some getting used to.
I'm not trying to put down your opinions or your choice, I was just wondering.
What am I missing?

Jason
Old 11/27/04, 03:26 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Giddyup@November 27, 2004, 3:17 PM
(4) The GF didn't like the GT at all....and she sees a better value (all things considered) at $22,000 vs. $28,450.
Buy a GT and get a new GF.

If she's telling you how to run your life now, just wait to the he$$ you'll find yourself in if you ever marry her. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Old 11/27/04, 04:24 PM
rex
Mach 1 Member

Say Giddyup...I was just over in the 94-04 section and came across your post about the 04 V6your girlfriend wanted you to buy just a few days ago..and now it's the 05 V6 she's trying to talk you into....no offense, but it seems she's got you rethinking cars everyday of the week...if I were you I'd stick with your choice of the GT...it's the car you REALLY want...not the V6 or the Cobra in a year or 2 or 3 or 4 like you mentioned in the same post.....anything less than your GT and you'll regret it everytime you go for a drive...my sermon is complete.....Rex
Old 11/27/04, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Giddyup... I must agree with REX's comments. There must be a very good reason why you originally ordered the GT model over the V-6 in the first place. I pre-ordered my GT in June, not knowing what the pricing was going to be on this new model, but it didn't much matter to me because this is the car I wanted. I could have bought an '04 Mach 1, taken the rebates and had the same performance as the '05, and driven it all Summer, but I knew that as soon as the '05's came out, I would want one, thus taking a big hit on the depreciation of the '04 going up one year into the '05. I have done this a couple times before, and paid the price. The wait all of us have had for our new GT's to be made and then delivered, was the worst part, but as you have read by everyone who has posted ( me included ), it IS worth the wait to finally have one. My preference was my new GT, and nothing else. My wife, on the other hand, likes the V-6 loaded Premium model, and enjoys driving hers. So I echo both REX and V10 in saying, don't settle for less than you want. You will only regret it big time later.
Jaxxon
Old 11/27/04, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I also must agree with Rex.

Pretty soon you will be married to this girl with 5 kids and everytime you want a new car she will tell you which one to get and then she will drive it all the time.

Take a stand now. Buy your car, not hers...
Old 11/27/04, 06:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Ha-ha....Thanks for the input bro's/sis's. Really my GF is pretty passive and doesn't get snobby or make an issue with anything I do.....She really lets me do my own thing, and she's a 1 in a million that way. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression of the car shopping and her input on the matter, because she really isn't that way. If you look at the front ends of both cars (directly front view), then the GT seems blocky looking, whereas the V-6 just flows a little more IMO. I really am making this decision on what i want though..... B) I don't think I would regret a V-6 if I went this way....and knowing that I left a V-8 GT on the table. That's not one of the issues I'm dealing with at all (fun factor), because to me they both would be fun. The things that initially appealed to me in the Mustang (and still do), are the LEG ROOM, because I'm 6'2" and has never had this kind of overall comfort in a car of this price range........the LOOKS, and now I'm discovering that the V-6 appeals to me a little more....... I do know that I also love the no-spoiler look, and this is how the V-6 Screaming Yellow is set up, also Automatic, Standard Dark Charcoal Interior/Cloth Seats. Upgrade 16" wheels with spinners. Now, I would have rather seen the Yellow car with leather instead of cloth though. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and think differently.....but today when I saw the Torch Red GT, it just didn't knock my socks off.
Old 11/27/04, 06:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by rex@November 27, 2004, 3:27 PM
Say Giddyup...I was just over in the 94-04 section and came across your post about the 04 V6your girlfriend wanted you to buy just a few days ago..and now it's the 05 V6 she's trying to talk you into....no offense, but it seems she's got you rethinking cars everyday of the week...if I were you I'd stick with your choice of the GT...it's the car you REALLY want...not the V6 or the Cobra in a year or 2 or 3 or 4 like you mentioned in the same post.....anything less than your GT and you'll regret it everytime you go for a drive...my sermon is complete.....Rex
Nah, this wasn't the case at all Rex. She told me that she liked the '04 body style better, and I was thinking along the lines of her birthday (yesterday) and giving her a super cool b-day present. When I drove and sat in this Stang though, I just couldn't do it.......and this was after seeing the fit/finish of the '05 comparatively, and the driving of both. B) No offense to other Stang owners, but I just couldn't do this and leave the '05 (V-6 or GT) on the table. Now this would have been full of regrets...... :notnice:
Old 11/27/04, 06:57 PM

But he's got a point... do you really need 300 HP? That's how some people think it, like. Like the 1 MPG difference, or the loss of the driving lights, but the v-6 does look cleaner. You got to squeeze every penny sometimes.
Old 11/27/04, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
GT over V6 any day, and twice on Sunday.

If it's the power, well, ok, put a restrictor plate in it.

It seems though the problem is more a looks issue and money issue than a power issue. Money? Well, I gots no answer for ya there. Good luck with the V6 then...

But looks? Easy. It's not going to be very hard to get the v6 look on the front, sides, or back on the GT. It's only a facia on the front, the grille, and changing the headlamp switch. Done. The GT badge is removed with fishin' line, and the emblem in the back is probably similarly swapped.

The only problem is the dual exhaust, and that *could* be fixed up too.

Even the wheels can be done, albeit you may have to get the smaller brakes, and that might be fun. But hey, it's only time and/or money.

And the lower rocker panels come right off, so they can be painted black to match the V6, and you've completed the look!

Dude. I may have to do that myself... Stealth GT... I'll even have the V6 exhaust tip on the right and the hide the other one on the left... Cool...
Old 11/27/04, 07:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I've also noticed that the V6 looks a lot different then the GT. I don't think just changing the front grill and badges will do it. I think the front hood is bigger on the GT for the V8 engine giving it that blocky look that Giddyup was talking about.

Go to the time line and compare pics of the GT and V6 side by side. Brad just put some more pics into the the timeline for the V6 so maybe it's easier to compare the two.

I also like the looks of the V6 better then the GT, but when I test drove the V6 Automatic, it didn't have enough power for me. Now, I'm waiting to test drive the V6 5 speed manual to see if I like that better.....
Old 11/27/04, 09:02 PM
GT Member

Get what you can afford, and have money left over for gas and insurance! But, my feeling is if you ordered a GT and settled for the V6, you'll somehow be regretting it later. If you hadn't already ordered the GT, I'd say get the V6, but in this case, go with your first instincts!
Old 11/27/04, 09:24 PM
Cobra R Member

After looking at several '05 Mustangs, I have seen some that the body lines, or rear bumper fascia's don't line up flawlessly. I am ultra particular, but I looked the Torch Red GT over with a fine-tooth comb this evening for about an hour. The fit and finish was absolutely perfect between all the body panels, bumpers, rocker mouldings, etc. I looked the V-6 Screaming Yellow over for about 30 minutes before they closed the lot, and noticed several seams not matching up the way I thought they should......and the most noticeable one was on the rear bumper where it meets to the left tail lamp. I found this same flaw on a Redfire that was outside on the lot. As perfect as the Torch Red one is.....I may grab it because you just never know between vehicles, and the Silver GT I had ordered may have flaws of this kind or another. My dealership is closed Sunday, and if I decide between this evening and Monday AM to buy the Torch Red GT because it is flawless......well, you all will be the 3rd to know, right after my girlfiend and sales gal. It's alot of RED......having Torch Red on Red Leather, so I need to get try and get myself comfortable. Have a good Saturday evening all.....
Old 11/28/04, 10:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Went back to the dealership late last night, and the Torch Red was nowhere to be found. I don't know if they moved it in back because it's sold, or that a salesperson took it home for the Sunday day off. I guess I will find out in the morning when I take both my GF's truck and my Isuzu down there to see what one I can get the best deal on......and if the GT is still there. Torch was my 2nd choice of colors when i originally started shopping, but as I said earlier.....all the seams are perfect, and couldn't find anything at all wrong with fit/finish. Maybe the first 'Flawless' one is the way to go......????
Old 11/28/04, 10:44 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by V10+November 27, 2004, 4:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (V10 @ November 27, 2004, 4:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Giddyup@November 27, 2004, 3:17 PM
(4) The GF didn't like the GT at all....and she sees a better value (all things considered) at $22,000 vs. $28,450.
Buy a GT and get a new GF.
[/b][/quote]
u better make sure u make the right decision and hope ur not kicking urself in the face cuz u chose a v6 over a GT. i dont mind the v6 but there is no way i would get it. i been working my behind off for months for this car (im only 17 turning 18) and my time has finally come. my mom dont even know theres a v6 and if she knew there was one and i wanted it she would hit me just cuz the fact that she drives a v10 excursion. anyway i know its ur choice and ur car but im telling u take time with this cuz i might be kicking urself later on.....
Old 11/28/04, 10:50 AM
FR500 Member

giddyup.......if u buy the torch red with red ICAP haha ur not gonna need coffee in the morning when u wake up....ur gonna sit in ur car and wake right up with all that red haha

Quick Reply: Saw my first GT in person today.....