2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Salesman stopped talking to me

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/04, 11:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kevinb120@September 23, 2004, 10:33 PM
You all need to lighten up on salespeople. By all means if they lie or are rude, then of course: You cant expect them to know much more then the basics, Ford hasnt bothered to deem it nesessary. You don't think that I couldn't walk into anyones place of business, look around for a couple seconds and ask you a question to something I see there that you do not know the answer to? B)
Eh I go for information. I expect them to know I ain't trying to have fun with a salesman. I want to buy the dang thing.
Old 9/24/04, 01:57 AM

I got a vehicle order confirmation from my dealer with pricing.

A plan 24998.55
X plan 26148.49
retail 28275
Old 9/24/04, 03:21 AM
Bullitt Member

he's prolly just freaked you knew all this info and doesnt know how to handle selling you a car- since you knew info he didnt- and he should since he's a salesman- he prolly doesnt know how to get you to pay over sticker- cuz you knew the real prices!!!- soooooooo all you need to do is...........

(i just had to have an excuse to use the ding ding smiley)
Old 9/24/04, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

To offer a little constructive criticism, I agree with Kevinb about most of his points. If you have 10 people wanting to pay anything for a car, those are the ones you want to talk to first. When a new model is first out, its a hot commodity and you're not going to get it for invoice (with exceptions of course).

Salespeople should know their product, or at least know where to go to get the info. I don't know everthing there is to know about computers (my profession) but I know where to go to find answers.

That being said, if I was running a sales dept at a dealership, I would use something we have used in the information technology business for years to disseminate information to others. IT training is expensive and you can't always send everyone. What you do is send a few people, then make them train the others. Its "training the trainer".

In the auto biz, you could have Kevin, who is the expert on Mustangs, train the other salespeople. Similarly, if Kevin is not the expert on F150's, have someone who is and have them train the others. These experts also become your "go to" people when you can't remember something and need a question answered.

I realize not alot of car dealers spend alot of time on things like this because its not generating large revenue, but it goes a long way for customer satisfaction.

My bigger issues is with service. Alot of time enthusiasts know about issues before the service dept. does. You could almost do the same "train the trainer" with your service dept. Have someone monitor forums for potential issues, etc. so that you are up on it. It goes without saying that if I found out about a problem from a forum, went to the dealer to service it and found out they had info about the issue, I would be impressed and would have a good experience.

My cynical side though says it won't ever matter and that I will have to battle for everything from a dealer, from a good price to getting service repairs done correctly. Dealerships still have a way to go with customer service. Alot of times it does come down to the individual. I have had service managers bend over backwards for me for no reason and have had others at the same dealership do nothing for me. In both cases I have treated them with respect and have given them a chance to make it right before I lose my cool.
Old 9/24/04, 09:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
FlyinLow - well said.