2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Saleen replaces SVT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/05, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the posting boards, but I heard a rumor that Saleen will be replacing SVT and that SVT will soon be no more. I have seen a few things on the net suggesting this, but does anyone have an info on whether this is true?

A new cobra with a 5.4 would be sweet, but Saleen prices would not...
Old 1/1/05, 10:53 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I know Saleen and Ford have done work together in the past, but this is about as crazy of a rumor as I have ever heard.
Old 1/1/05, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, here's the basis.
-2004 SVT lineup includes 4 vehicles.
-Saleen heavily involved in developement, or at least assembly and production, of Ford GT.
-SVT Focus permanently cancelled.
-SVT Lightning allegedly "delayed" so SVT may focus all of its development muscle on upcoming Mustang.
-Hua Tang (sp?) (designer of the 2005 mustang) was promoted to something like director of performance vehicles, which purportedly includes oversight of SVT.
-Two SVT heads, including Colletti ("retirement"), go down in the recent weeks.
-New Saleen mustang was released by Ford Motor Company includes parts, i.e., brake discs, directly from Ford GT.

These things all seem to indicate heavy involvement by Ford in Saleen products and vice versa.

These also indicate that SVT, or whatever remains of the upper echelons of SVT, is in heavy turmoil/rebuilding...

I don't claim to have any "inside scoop" but I'm wondering if anyone else on this site has heard any reliable info...

btw...i have read the threads re: to new 5.4 stangs and etc., but just curious/worried...
Old 1/1/05, 11:11 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Um........no. That's just not happening.
Old 1/1/05, 11:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

correction to last post, 2003 SVT lineup includes 3 vehicles, not 2004 SVT lineup includes 4 vehicles...
Old 1/2/05, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think so saleen gets money for being elite if they went mainstream by taking over svt they wouldnt have the same edge as before. i doubt that saleen would rather make a cobra (lower pricing) than something they already are selling and selling well... the cobra is elite but how many more cobras do you see compared to saleens...? point and case anyway if an aftermarket competitor became part of ford that would make ford in charge of design not saleen and that might bring down sales...
Old 1/2/05, 03:13 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Saleen is an aftermarket tuner bussiness, whereas SVT is actually a part of FoMoCo. sorry buddy, but whoever told you this is a tad confused.

welcome to the boards BTW its a great place, you'll like it here
Old 1/2/05, 03:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by future9er24@January 2, 2005, 4:16 PM
Saleen is an aftermarket tuner bussiness, whereas SVT is actually a part of FoMoCo. sorry buddy, but whoever told you this is a tad confused.

welcome to the boards BTW its a great place, you'll like it here
I think what he's trying to say is that Ford is essentially outsourcing SVT to Saleen. If that type were going to happen, I would think Roush would be a more likely candidate as they already do alot of engineering work for Ford. IMO SVT isn't going anywhere. What you're seeing in the lack of SVT products is the result the financial condition of Ford. They're poring what money they have into the Cobra right now. Other products will follow later.
Old 1/2/05, 05:46 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by futuresvt@January 2, 2005, 12:54 AM
... I heard a rumor that Saleen will be replacing SVT...
I heard a rumor Brad is considering me as his new top moderator.

Old 1/2/05, 05:48 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+January 2, 2005, 8:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1 BULLITT @ January 2, 2005, 8:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-futuresvt@January 2, 2005, 12:54 AM

[/b][/quote]
Oh No!!

Old 1/2/05, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+January 2, 2005, 6:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1 BULLITT @ January 2, 2005, 6:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-futuresvt@January 2, 2005, 12:54 AM

[/b][/quote]

Brad would lose quite a bit of credibility if that happened.
Old 1/2/05, 06:56 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by wsmatau@January 2, 2005, 8:16 PM

Brad would lose quite a bit of credibility if that happened.

... and all I needed was ONE more vote!
This travesty will not go unpunished! :angry:

Old 1/2/05, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford uses these tuners for development regularly. Saleen was instrumental in the GT-R. Saleen ,Roush and Kenny Brown were big in development of the 2005 V6 and GT. They use their input for development.

None of us "know" either, but this seems unlikely for the reasons stated. Most Cobra owners don't buy Saleen because they don't like the styling and the cost for performance is too high.
Old 1/2/05, 07:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by futuresvt@January 2, 2005, 12:14 AM
-New Saleen mustang was released by Ford Motor Company includes parts, i.e., brake discs, directly from Ford GT.
What do you mean the Saleen was released by Ford? It was released by Saleen, built at Saleen in Irvine, and sold through Saleen dealers, not to mention introduced at the Anaheim Auto Show (not Detroit like all the other Ford cars seem to be). Just becasue it was in the Ford booth doesn't mean it is released by Ford.

Having the Saleen in the Ford booth helps both companies -- Ford because it showcases "upgradability" and enhances excitement for the Mustang. If people get excited about the Saleen, but can't afford it, they will be much more willing to buy a Mustang.

Ford does do a lot of work with Saleen (GTR, help with Ford GT, etc.), but they also do work with other companies as well (Roush, etc.). That doesn't mean they are going to turn over SVT to Saleen. I don't think Steve would want that anyway. He wants low volume, high priced Saleen branded cars (well, at least that is what history seems to tells me).

That being said, I really don't mind who builds them, as long as they live up to the Cobra lineage (great performing cars for a great value).
Old 1/2/05, 08:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rampant@January 2, 2005, 9:23 PM
That being said, I really don't mind who builds them, as long as they live up to the Cobra lineage (great performing cars for a great value).
and as long as they don't look like a cheese grater with 20in wheels.
Old 1/3/05, 11:45 AM
V6 Member

SVT has been profitable but Saleen always seems to be in financial trouble. As a Ford shareholder, I would be very upset if they decided to purchase Saleen to replace SVT
Old 1/3/05, 12:04 PM
V6 Member

Most Cobra owners don't buy Saleen because they don't like the styling and the cost for performance is too high.
I think your half right. I bet most Mustang and Mustang Cobra owners Love the styling of the Saleens. All the Cobra owners I'm friends with love Saleens as well. But we all agree they are too high in price when you compare the performance to the Cobra.

How can someone not like Saleen Styling??

I highly doubt that SVT will be outsourced to Saleen. That would shock all of us to the core. :shock:
Old 1/3/05, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by cobrasvt777@January 3, 2005, 2:07 PM
Most Cobra owners don't buy Saleen because they don't like the styling and the cost for performance is too high.
I think your half right. I bet most Mustang and Mustang Cobra owners Love the styling of the Saleens. All the Cobra owners I'm friends with love Saleens as well. But we all agree they are too high in price when you compare the performance to the Cobra.

How can someone not like Saleen Styling??

I highly doubt that SVT will be outsourced to Saleen. That would shock all of us to the core. :shock:
You can also double down ($$$$) and get a Saleen Cobra. BTW does anyone know if Saleen plans on doing any of these. I know we won't know until SVT releases the Cobra, just curious.
Old 1/3/05, 12:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's a couple more things to throw into the rumor world.

You got to remember Saleen now has an assembly plant in Michigan where they paint and assemble the Ford GT.
(The 05 S-281 E may be made there too.)

The facility has a capacity to do much more.
I can see the Saleen facility being the assembly line for other low volume number vehicles like SVT products, but they will not have any Saleen Label.
It's probably cheaper for them to built speciality vehicles, than making separate build lines at the new Mustang plant.

Also, Saleen built 5 GT-R prototypes for Ford, not just one.
Old 1/3/05, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I actually heard from a Ford source that Thai Tang (spelling?) is moving in to take over SVT since he did such an awesome job on the 05.

Quick Reply: Saleen replaces SVT?