2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush or Saleen?

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/14, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush or Saleen?

So I have a complete shell of a mustang and I'm wondering which way I should go. I don't wanna get the Shelby look because my v6 doesn't back up the power of Shelby so it's either roush or saleen. Any ideas guys?
Attached Thumbnails Roush or Saleen?-image-1742590853.jpg  
Old 4/7/14, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not pick up a GT instead of adding a body kit to a v6?
Old 4/7/14, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by friedmaster
Why not pick up a GT instead of adding a body kit to a v6?
because I'm trying to dress this mustang up before I eventually trade or sell it for another s197 preferably a gt
Old 4/7/14, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheRedRider08
because I'm trying to dress this mustang up before I eventually trade or sell it for another s197 preferably a gt
Keep in mind the value of the car is probably going to go down when you change so much stuff on it, so if you're not planning on keeping it, it's essentially just a waste of money changing how it looks now. Just save your money for when you get a GT. It will be much better spent that way, and you'll end up getting more for your current car.
Old 4/7/14, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your V6 doesn't back up the power of Roush or Saleen either. In my opinion, I wouldn't do either. Like some of the other posts have stated, it would be a waste of money if you are not planning on keeping it. From what I have seen, the body kits are at $600-1000. Then you figure it's going to cost another $1000 for prep and paint. That's a lot of money to waste. You could use that as a downpayment to lower the cost of the S197 that you plan on buying.

If you do want to mod, add things that you can bring to your next mustang. Some new wheels would completely change the look of your car. Make it stand out from the sea of other V6 mustangs we all see driving around. Bring them to the GT when you get it.
Old 4/7/14, 12:43 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The most i would do since youre not planning on keeping it is do minor performance mods like a tune and exhaust, maybe intake. Especially since the tuner can also be used for the gt when you get it
Old 4/7/14, 07:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
Your V6 doesn't back up the power of Roush or Saleen either. In my opinion, I wouldn't do either.....
I agree with the above. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I think a clean V6 S197 without add-ons, is a pretty sharp looking Mustang. If I were to mod a V6 S197, I'd concentrate on making it a canyon carving autocross type car, but that's me.
Wider lightweight wheels and good, sticky tires are a start, followed by suspension mods. Spend your money on function, instead of appearance parts that may only embarrass you on the road...

Remember, that those VTEC jockeys sure will have fun on their forums, talking about the Saleen Extreme or Stage 6 (joke) Roush they just blew away.
Old 4/7/14, 07:53 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Just remember whatever you put into it needs to be for your enjoyment. You will likely not see any return on your investment. Might sell easier, might not. Mods need to be tasteful to your next buyer and that is a crap shoot.
Old 4/8/14, 07:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
Your V6 doesn't back up the power of Roush or Saleen either. In my opinion, I wouldn't do either. Like some of the other posts have stated, it would be a waste of money if you are not planning on keeping it. From what I have seen, the body kits are at $600-1000. Then you figure it's going to cost another $1000 for prep and paint. That's a lot of money to waste. You could use that as a downpayment to lower the cost of the S197 that you plan on buying.

If you do want to mod, add things that you can bring to your next mustang. Some new wheels would completely change the look of your car. Make it stand out from the sea of other V6 mustangs we all see driving around. Bring them to the GT when you get it.
This.

Wheels would be basically the only mod worth doing, as transferring them is zero cost.

Not only will adding a body-kit cost $2000+ before you're all said and done, but a buyer is simply not going to give you $2000 more for the car because it has a body-kit on it. In fact, I'd argue that not only will you not get $2000 more, but unless you find the perfect buyer, they're going to give you LESS for the car with a body kit, because they don't know who painted it, and it of course causes concerns that the body kit was added because the car was in an accident.

The other thing to consider; think of the profile of somebody who's going to buy a 2005-2009 v6 mustang in 2014.... it's likely somebody who wants a GT, but can't afford it, and doesn't want a high mileage one because of reliability. The last thing they want is a modified v6.

Now, if the car holds some sentimental value to you and you're planning to keep it for a very long time, then go ahead, mod away. But, if it doesn't, I'd at least start with a GT platform instead of the v6.

As an aside, this is coming from a guy who's now modded a mustang multiple times over. I did some performance upgrades to my GT, then pulled it all to install the drivetrain from a GT500. From a cost standpoint, I'd have been way better off just buying a 07-09 GT500. From a resale standpoint, maybe I get ~15% more than an unmodified GT with similar mileage (and nowhere near a true GT500) because it's so much more car than a GT, but I'm not getting rid of this car.

Last edited by friedmaster; 4/8/14 at 08:00 AM.