2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

REPRODUCING THE HESITATION

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/06, 06:30 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTAS @ February 22, 2006, 5:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think it'll be tough for them to nail down. It's happened to me twice since I've had my car. I brought the car home on 1/7/05, and now have over 18K miles. Aint no way they'll be able to nail that down as infrequent as it is. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

WOW, thought it was just me missing a shift. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] Nothing has been said it it is Automatic speciffic or not. I have a five speed and it has happened to me a couple of time right after I got off the highway (about 60 mile cruise) and make a left at the stop sign. I accelerate and it stumbles / nosedives right after I shift into second. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Like I said, I thought I missed a shift but a swear it was a good shift! Now I am starting to wonder. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on your progress. Be safe, Joe
Old 2/23/06, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(official_style @ February 22, 2006, 10:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well mine does not do it, I tried a bunch of times. The only thing I noticed is if you punch it when your not on it on the highway, it takes a second to kick in. This is the computer tho so I'm not worried about it. What's your build date??
[/b][/quote]

5-14-05 for mine,if it helps
Old 2/23/06, 02:20 PM
GT Member

Well I had my fuel pump replaced and so far so good no hesitation yet,however I have not had a real chance to test it yet.I am driving to San Francisco from Vancouver B.C.(14 Hours non stop!) next week so Im sure Ill have plenty of opportunity to see if it happens on this trip.
Old 2/23/06, 04:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

My build date is 10/2004.
Old 2/23/06, 06:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my hesitation does not have stalling,but rather when i give it gas it takes a split second to respond. It then jerks into gear.This only happens from a slow roll.Would a tune help this? also i was thinking about the JET throttle body spacer.What you say??
Old 2/23/06, 07:37 PM

Well my first post. Wish it was a good one. I have an 06 GT 5-speed with a Dec 05 build date. 2,500 miles and no mods (yet!). Same symptoms as discussed above. Started two weeks ago. It was rather embarrassing. Passenger in right seat, I made a left turn and accelerated trying to show what the car can do. While giving gas in second ... hard rocking and rolling. The car did not want to go! I was able to replicate later but I haddn't noticed whether it occurred following a left turn. It also happened while being on the highway cruising a 70mph and very little throttle. I have also noticed that my idle is no longer steady. Seems to jump between 700 and 1000.

I took mine into the dealer last Friday. This past Tuesday they replaced the fuel pump, sending unit and fuel filter. No joy! As I was driving into work the next AM (requires 6 miles on high way) ... the car hesitated bad at 65mph and stopped responding to the trottle all together. I was moving the throttle up and down and no response. It was rather scary especially as no cars were letting me over. I honestly thought my poor car was going to break down on the freeway. But, after acouple a seconds the fuel started flowing again.

Needless to say I am not happy. I am afraid to drive the car because I don't know if i am casusing more damage by driving it. Dealer has searched for TSBs but can't seem to find any info on the 06s. They asked I bring the car again in next Monday. I'd like to be able to give them some more information to help them solve the problem.

Now that I think about it ... My problems first started when I topped off last (used BP gas). I am now under a quarter tank of gas and the problem does not seem to be as prevelant. But, I am still having idle fluctuations. I am afraid to fill up now!
Old 2/24/06, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

Dwayne, I'd add some fuel water drier to the gas tank and fill it up at another station. That might help if you think you might have gotten some bad gas, but I don't think that is the entire problem.
Old 2/24/06, 04:56 PM

I now have 28500 miles on my Stang. It was delivered on February 1, 2005 (don't know the build date). I took it on a cross country trip in June, 2005. During that trip I had the same hesitation. I would drive at a constant speed of 75 miles an hour till a full tank emptied. At exiting the highway, then floor it, it would go and then the nose dive. It happened everytime I repeated that procudure. I never brought it in to have it checked out and blamed the computer. Back home, driving normal distances I only had this happen once.

Two months ago I was driving on the highway at 70 miles an hour (cruise control) and suddenly it started to hesitate a little. A minute later the check engine light starts to blink at me. I take it off cruise control, revv up the engine and the light goes out, also the hesitation was gone. I brought it in the next day to the dealership. They checked it out, but couldn't find a thing. They did call ford and they didn't have any information either.

It didn't happen for a while till last weekend. Same thing, hesitation, check engine light blinking. Did the same thing, light went off. Then 10 miles later, again hesitation. During the 40 mile trip, this happened 4 times.

On the way back, and till now it didn't happen again.

I am almost due for service. When I bring it in, I want them to check the fuel filters, air filter and spark plugs. Maybe somewhere there is some dirt. Hopefully they'll find something they can fix. This is getting annoying.
Old 2/25/06, 08:39 AM

I guess my only question is...if Ford finds an issue and fixes it. Will the custom tune that most of us have 'overwrite' the fix?
Old 2/25/06, 05:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slick GT @ February 23, 2006, 9:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well my first post. Wish it was a good one. I have an 06 GT 5-speed with a Dec 05 build date. 2,500 miles and no mods (yet!). Same symptoms as discussed above. Started two weeks ago. It was rather embarrassing. Passenger in right seat, I made a left turn and accelerated trying to show what the car can do. While giving gas in second ... hard rocking and rolling. The car did not want to go! I was able to replicate later but I haddn't noticed whether it occurred following a left turn. It also happened while being on the highway cruising a 70mph and very little throttle. I have also noticed that my idle is no longer steady. Seems to jump between 700 and 1000.

I took mine into the dealer last Friday. This past Tuesday they replaced the fuel pump, sending unit and fuel filter. No joy! As I was driving into work the next AM (requires 6 miles on high way) ... the car hesitated bad at 65mph and stopped responding to the trottle all together. I was moving the throttle up and down and no response. It was rather scary especially as no cars were letting me over. I honestly thought my poor car was going to break down on the freeway. But, after acouple a seconds the fuel started flowing again.

Needless to say I am not happy. I am afraid to drive the car because I don't know if i am casusing more damage by driving it. Dealer has searched for TSBs but can't seem to find any info on the 06s. They asked I bring the car again in next Monday. I'd like to be able to give them some more information to help them solve the problem.

Now that I think about it ... My problems first started when I topped off last (used BP gas). I am now under a quarter tank of gas and the problem does not seem to be as prevelant. But, I am still having idle fluctuations. I am afraid to fill up now!
[/b][/quote]
wonder why they changed the fuel pump? was pressure low or pulsating?

I noticed another problem of sorts last night waiting forever to get into the auto show...highway was a parking lot- found out stick cars dont like idling along in first, then trying to slightly accelerate- it starts bucking like crazy...did it twice, found if you just slip the cluch before reving a bit it was fine...Oh how I miss a cable throttle.

btw, stopping and going 20 feet at a time for half hour pretty much sucks to have a stickshift- but that was the only time I havent liked it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/26/06, 01:44 AM
Cobra Member

I thought I was bouncing off the rev limmiter. After having to make a few long distance freeway drives recently I now know thats not the case. If your cruising at a steady speed and jump on it, it revs up a split second, cuts fuel then continues like nothing happened. Whole thing probably happens in less than a second.

This also happens after you pull off the freeway and sit at the light and give it gas to go, it hessitates then lurches forward.

I usually always have TC off and never run my car lower than 1/4 tank, generally when on long distance drives I rarely get below half a tank since I fill up when ever I need a RR break.

I'd bet money it's a computer glitch.
Old 2/26/06, 07:17 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nynvolt @ February 26, 2006, 3:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I thought I was bouncing off the rev limmiter. After having to make a few long distance freeway drives recently I now know thats not the case. If your cruising at a steady speed and jump on it, it revs up a split second, cuts fuel then continues like nothing happened. Whole thing probably happens in less than a second.

This also happens after you pull off the freeway and sit at the light and give it gas to go, it hessitates then lurches forward.

I usually always have TC off and never run my car lower than 1/4 tank, generally when on long distance drives I rarely get below half a tank since I fill up when ever I need a RR break.

I'd bet money it's a computer glitch.
[/b][/quote]

That is pretty much how it happens with me. I haven’t paid much attention to if it happened when my T/C was on or off. I turn it off every now and then just to see how she acts.

You are probably right on the Computer glitch line of thought. Being the first run of a model year, it's bound to happen. Just so they fix it for us!

Be safe. Joe
Old 2/26/06, 04:41 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ford4v429 @ February 25, 2006, 6:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
wonder why they changed the fuel pump? was pressure low or pulsating?

[/b][/quote]

They didn't tell me exactly why they ended up changing the fuel pump. But, everything presure checked fine after they replaced it.

I filled to half a tank at a different gas station. I noticed the car ran a lot better and it was harder for me to duplicate the hesitation. I began to think that maybe I did get a bad tank of gas at my last fill up.

However ... I washed and waxed today. Car's looking great so I take it out for a spin. I give it some gas. Nose dive city. Left turn, right turn, it didn't matter. Easy throttle and it seemed fine but if i accelerated after letting off of the clutch ... the car would start to respond but as the rpms got up to about 3500, then it was as though the fuel was cutting out. Happened 5 times in a span of 5 miles of driving. I didn't even bother taking it on the freeway.

I wonder if water is somehow getting in the fuel system from the washing. I did not wash under the hood and only opened the hood to dry it.

I just hope it acts like it did today when I take it into the dealer tomorrow afternoon.
Old 2/28/06, 08:26 PM

I have only had this happen once on my 05'. It happend last Friday night when i was about 400 miles into my 500 mile trip. Driving on I95 and was making a pass on the 2 lane, i dropped it down to 3rd and tromped on it.... this is when it felt like the whole car just stalled for about 1 whole second and then wham the power came back... kinda scared me when it happend. I have about 10k miles on my car and this is was/is the first hint of a problem that i have seen.

Gonna keep a close eye on this thread and see what comes of it.
Old 2/28/06, 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

i drive along in 1st all the time, i live in manhattan. this never has happened to me. it never happens after cruising if i punch it. maybe the LFP TB and the mustang magic tune fix it!