2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

REPRODUCING THE HESITATION

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/06, 12:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I finally got tired of this hesitation problem and took my stang to my local Ford dealer.

First some background of my specific problem:When I accelerate out of a corner,in a spirited manner (ie:my right foot into it but not enough to get sideways) typically on LEFT hand turns it feels as though the engine is starved for fuel as the acceleration cuts right out mid corner then comes back quickly.Its a real bucking or jerking sensation,never happens in a straight line,does not matter if car is cold or at operating temp,does not matter if I have been on highway for a while or side streets.Obviously this can be a dangerous condition with the car cutting out mid corner then slamming back in.The condition worsens with less than half a tank of fuel but not as bad with a full tank.

I was able to talk to the shop foreman at the dealer and he was very helpful.He called Ford engineering right away and Ford is now just discovered this problem,but have not come up with a fix just yet.Ford has done some tests with a clear plastic fuel tank and some cameras rigged up to view any fuel slosh and fuel pump operation.THe mustang has a saddle bag type of tank design straddling the driveshaft.The fuel pump is located on the driver side of the tank with an extension hose running to the pass. side so that fuel can be picked up on both sided simultaneously,so when you corner left, the fuel is sloshing to the right side and so the pump is picking up fuel on the pass. side and AIR on the drivers side cousing the HESITATION, at least thats the theory.(pretty much what I figured [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] ) Ford does not think that this a fuel tank problem,but rather a fuel pump design problem.So in the mean time they have ordered me a new fuel pump to see if this makes any difference.Im not sure that it will because Ford has not modified the design yet,but im willing to try anyway.

In closing I urge all of you with this problem to take ur stang to the dealer and mention what I have said and have them call Ford engineering.The best way to get some action is if many many people report the same problem, then Ford will act more quickly if they see it as a widespread problem as opposed to an isolated one.

I go back to the dealer on Feb 21 to have new pump installed (remember not a revised one) and I will report my results.

Good Luck everyone, lets get this hesitation thing licked!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/14/06, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the gas tank is the problem - I've had the hesitation going in a straight line, not while cornering. It's more like a computer problem IMO.
Old 2/15/06, 11:18 AM

its the throttle lag programmed into our ECU's. that can be removed with an Xcal II tune.
Old 2/15/06, 02:09 PM
Cobra Member

I've been following this topic for a while, and people with custom tunes are still having a problems, so I think it is more than just the factory tune, or a fuel tank issue. This is especailly true for those who've been driving at a constant speed, slow down, and then attempt to accellerate again, only to experience the stalling.
Old 2/15/06, 02:14 PM

thats true ... i still do experience that every now and then..its actually very annoying
Old 2/15/06, 03:43 PM
GT Member

No its not the typical throttle lag condition.The hesitation happens mid- acceleration,not as soon as I give it gas but rather mid corner,after I have already started to accelerate.
Old 2/15/06, 09:28 PM
GT Member

I do believe it has something to do with the fuel tank, only because this happens to both V-6 and GT versions of the car and I don't think they have anything else in common.
It is nothing like throttle lag and air in the line could cause exactly what happens. The fact that it happens to some of us when taking off in a straight line seems odd, but I have noticed it occurs only when I have just rolled up to a stop sign and began to take off again, or when accelerating onto an on ramp after making a hard turn. Both of those things could cause fuel to slosh. One thing I haven't noticed is if it happens when I have a full tank of fuel or only when below a certain point.
If your fuel pump proves to fix this or they come up with a different cause , please let the rest of us know. I haven't taken my car in because the local garage would be lucky to do an oil change without botching the job. I'm scared to take the car in to have the window scratch problem or the torn carpet repaired, but I know I'll have to eventually.
Some of the other Nashville area dealers have impressed me equally well with their quality work. If anybody can recommend a good Ford garage south of Nashville, please do.

Thanks.
Old 2/15/06, 10:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I see no response being made if traction control is on or off? When I was test driving my car I purposly tried this and got a different reaction between on and off. There was a noticable lag when traction control was on.
Old 2/16/06, 01:18 AM
GT Member

Yes the traction control is off.Forgot to mention that..thanks!

And yes Cable Guy, I also agonized about taking it to the dealer but i had to get the strut mounts replaced under warrany.So far so good with this dealer although that was my first visit.
Old 2/16/06, 05:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have had the problem with TC on AND off. This has only happened to me while cruising, never coming out of a corner.
Old 2/16/06, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It happens to me now and then too.

I suspect it's the electronic throttle... don't know why they abandoned the cable [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 08:21 PM

My mustang has hesitated going in a straight line an two right turns. I have a SCT tune.
Old 2/21/06, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not trying to hijack, I'm wondering if what happened today could be related. 05 GT, TC on,50 miles on current tank of gas(pretty full),6,000 miles on car, auto. Took off from dead stop, fast, tires could be heard(cool!),hard lefthand turn,drove 1/2 mile or so and stopped to shop. 30-45 minutes later I go to start car and she sounds weak and does not start,tries,but does not. On third try she cranks and no more problems on 4 mile drive home. Most embarrassing though, people were looking at car as usual. Wondered if it could be a fuel thing.Did not sound like battery at all,sounded like fuel issue. Anyway,sorry if I'm way off here,just that the first post kind of rang a bell.
Old 2/22/06, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

i never really let mine go below 50 miles to E. never had this problem. i cant stand all the beeping when its below 50 miles. dont run it on fumes and it shouldnt happen!
Old 2/22/06, 06:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(official_style @ February 22, 2006, 8:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
dont run it on fumes and it shouldnt happen!
[/b][/quote]

Not true, it will happen with a full tank of gas. The secret is cruise for a while then mash the gas pedal... nose dive city. I've given up, I am now waiting on Ford to admit there is a problem and offer a fix.
Old 2/22/06, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

lemme try it today...
Old 2/22/06, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(official_style @ February 22, 2006, 7:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i never really let mine go below 50 miles to E. never had this problem. i cant stand all the beeping when its below 50 miles. dont run it on fumes and it shouldnt happen!
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ February 22, 2006, 7:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Not true, it will happen with a full tank of gas. The secret is cruise for a while then mash the gas pedal... nose dive city. I've given up, I am now waiting on Ford to admit there is a problem and offer a fix.
[/b][/quote]

Just to be clear- the tank was almost full, I had only driven 50 miles since filling up last. I guess I didn't word it right.
Old 2/22/06, 08:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Imatk @ February 16, 2006, 4:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It happens to me now and then too.

I suspect it's the electronic throttle... don't know why they abandoned the cable [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Saves $$$$. Eliminates cable, speed control servo, etc. Plus allows more thorough engine control.
Old 2/22/06, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well mine does not do it, I tried a bunch of times. The only thing I noticed is if you punch it when your not on it on the highway, it takes a second to kick in. This is the computer tho so I'm not worried about it. What's your build date??
Old 2/22/06, 03:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ February 22, 2006, 8:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I think it'll be tough for them to nail down. It's happened to me twice since I've had my car. I brought the car home on 1/7/05, and now have over 18K miles. Aint no way they'll be able to nail that down as infrequent as it is. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: REPRODUCING THE HESITATION