2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

A Repeat of the Past Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/04, 06:57 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Nah, I'm really starting to doubt we will see the 4-valve return Steve.
I too have read that the 4-valve will be riding into the sunset. (BON) A 4-valve has been around, in some fashion, for 10 years (1993 or 1994? Mark VIII was the first application). Not saying we will NEVER see a 4-valve again, but the 3-valve seems like the new wave.
Old 8/16/04, 07:12 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see the point,

considering they can make 4V DOHC power with a 3V SOHC head, why keep building the more expensive piece.
Old 8/16/04, 08:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dan+August 16, 2004, 6:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ August 16, 2004, 6:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie@August 16, 2004, 6:22 PM
There is also the supercharged 4.6 V8 from the '03 Cobra that has had a lot of R&D for only 2 model years.... although that would be an extreme case.

I predict most SE's will be variations off the 3-valve engine in the 05. Either bumped up compression with higher octane and/or supercharged.

Papertarget, that's what I'm thinking. I mean the original Shelby GT350 wasn't any great stretch of an upgrade. The Bullitt was quite a success as well. Like I said, history might just repeat itself.

Topnotch also reposted a quote from TheCarConnection.com where it said that a Shelby Mustang would be one of the first things to be released out of the Ford/Shelby partnership. The Shelby expedition is already set to come out at SEMA and obviously with the new Shelby Concept, Ford and Shelby have probably worked many of the legal/financial aspects out. What's to stop the mustang?

As well, reps have been saying there is a Shelby coming out in the spring for quite a while (guy at the T.O. show said the same thing). Most of us assumed that it was the Cobra they were talking about (during the period we believed that the new Cobra would wear a Shelby nameplate). But what if it isn't?

Shelby also said he wanted to build a car for the regular guy and make it accessible monetarily. That isn't a Shelby Cobra at $40k IMO.

Anyways, I'm sure Ford will want to ride the Shelby wave now rather than later while the whole Shelby Marquee is fresh and in people's faces.

And last, I don't really see the point of adding a stripe package on a regular GT. I'm not talking anniversary stripes here, but pin stripes. You have to have a bit more brawn to back that up.

Just my $1.00 worth. [/b][/quote]
You know, I really started thinking about something and it makes sense to me. SVT is moving upscale and will no longer be affordable power. This will put a huge gap between the GT and SVT. Mach1, Boss and Bullit probably won't return anytime soon. It seems to me that Shelby's return to Mustang wouldn't be just one year model either. Really, why build just one year model of Shelby's? It doesn't make sense. No, I think we'll see a Shelby as a standard upgrade package for awhile. An option package much like the Mach1 used to be. Slight power upgrade, better intake/exhaust, better brakes, slightly lower ride and an appearance package (ala stripes and one of a kind paint). It's quite possible the Titanium Mustang GT from NAIAS with it's lowered ride hight was a Shelby hiding right in front of us gauging crowd reaction (though not with all the other options). Just a thought, though I'd love some input.
Old 8/16/04, 09:14 PM
GT Member

I would bet that there is or was a battle over what a SVT is and should be and a Shelbys place in the mix. A Shelby should always be, and in the past was, more than a Mach or a CJ. A Boss is really the only thing that can try to compare with it. The Shelby put the whole idea of a Mustang as a performance vehicle on the map. It was the first, and even today it is the most desirable mustang there is. Jeese it even kicked Covette tail and caused Chevy to push harder on Vett technology.

A Shelby has to be special. It has to pay homage to the guy that in a large part fathered the whole movement.

And it had better kick Corvette hiney.

Ford, can you hear me? This is your SOUL calling.
Old 8/16/04, 10:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm all for that kind of a Shelby!

I agree with what Dan was saying as well though. I believe the 4V does not fit into the "affordable" Mustang Ford is working towards... unless it would be the Cobra. However, why bother with a 4V in the Cobra even when they could use the Cammer or another variation at less cost.
Old 8/17/04, 10:15 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by PaperTarget+August 16, 2004, 10:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PaperTarget @ August 16, 2004, 10:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Dan@August 16, 2004, 6:53 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie
@August 16, 2004, 6:22 PM
There is also the supercharged 4.6 V8 from the '03 Cobra that has had a lot of R&D for only 2 model years.... although that would be an extreme case.

I predict most SE's will be variations off the 3-valve engine in the 05. Either bumped up compression with higher octane and/or supercharged.

Papertarget, that's what I'm thinking. I mean the original Shelby GT350 wasn't any great stretch of an upgrade. The Bullitt was quite a success as well. Like I said, history might just repeat itself.

Topnotch also reposted a quote from TheCarConnection.com where it said that a Shelby Mustang would be one of the first things to be released out of the Ford/Shelby partnership. The Shelby expedition is already set to come out at SEMA and obviously with the new Shelby Concept, Ford and Shelby have probably worked many of the legal/financial aspects out. What's to stop the mustang?

As well, reps have been saying there is a Shelby coming out in the spring for quite a while (guy at the T.O. show said the same thing). Most of us assumed that it was the Cobra they were talking about (during the period we believed that the new Cobra would wear a Shelby nameplate). But what if it isn't?

Shelby also said he wanted to build a car for the regular guy and make it accessible monetarily. That isn't a Shelby Cobra at $40k IMO.

Anyways, I'm sure Ford will want to ride the Shelby wave now rather than later while the whole Shelby Marquee is fresh and in people's faces.

And last, I don't really see the point of adding a stripe package on a regular GT. I'm not talking anniversary stripes here, but pin stripes. You have to have a bit more brawn to back that up.

Just my $1.00 worth.
You know, I really started thinking about something and it makes sense to me. SVT is moving upscale and will no longer be affordable power. This will put a huge gap between the GT and SVT. Mach1, Boss and Bullit probably won't return anytime soon. It seems to me that Shelby's return to Mustang wouldn't be just one year model either. Really, why build just one year model of Shelby's? It doesn't make sense. No, I think we'll see a Shelby as a standard upgrade package for awhile. An option package much like the Mach1 used to be. Slight power upgrade, better intake/exhaust, better brakes, slightly lower ride and an appearance package (ala stripes and one of a kind paint). It's quite possible the Titanium Mustang GT from NAIAS with it's lowered ride hight was a Shelby hiding right in front of us gauging crowd reaction (though not with all the other options). Just a thought, though I'd love some input. [/b][/quote]
Now you're really making me think......A standard Shelby GT350? At least for the first 3 years? Makes a lot of sense IMO.

A one year thing seems too insignificant. Now I'm sure we will see a Boss eventually, but probably later on. Plus, Shinoda is using that name. Mach 1 has run two years, 1 year an many a car over what was promised. Now, a new deal with Shelby.

Many hardcore enthusiasts don't want their beloved SVT Cobra replaced with a "Shelby" Mustang Cobra. I have a feeling the SVT team doesn't want that either.

So what better than to make a Shelby SE? Plus, Shelbys were part of the regular lineup way back when.

***In addition, why would ford possibly come out with a stripe package (which I truely believe they are doing, but that's only part of the story) if they plan to bring a Shelby car out in the future. Ford should want to reserve the stripes for the Shelby. Unless, and here's the kicker, the spring stripe package IS a Shelby!
Old 8/17/04, 10:30 AM
GT Member

Exactly! It wouldn't be difficult for them at all to add 18" wheels, better brakes, better intake/exhaust, better tune/compression and stripes. Heck, they might not even do that much to it, but they'd be able to sell a boat load of them with that Shelby name on there. They've already released info that they'll be making a Shelby Expedition. And what did it come with? Let me show you:

"The Shelby Ford Expedition model will offer dynamically designed exterior body accents, graphics and ground-effects, enhanced interior styling and electronics package, high-performance tires mounted to the latest state of the art custom wheels, suspension and handling upgrades, and all driven by a Shelby tuned high performance engine package."

It's summed up really well in this sentence:

"This new Shelby SUV will provide a number of performance, handling and styling upgrades over the standard Ford Expedition model."

This describes exactly what we've been talking about. And what else does the story say? This:

"The Expedition is the first in a series of products and concepts we have on the drawing board," says company CEO Carroll Shelby. "Many of these concepts include new sports cars, pickups, and some exotic automotive products that we know will surprise and excite enthusiasts worldwide."

Spring of 2005 would give them enough time to tune the engine and handling of the car. Everything else is a cake walk.
Old 8/17/04, 12:25 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by PaperTarget@August 17, 2004, 12:33 PM
Exactly! It wouldn't be difficult for them at all to add 18" wheels, better brakes, better intake/exhaust, better tune/compression and stripes. Heck, they might not even do that much to it, but they'd be able to sell a boat load of them with that Shelby name on there. They've already released info that they'll be making a Shelby Expedition. And what did it come with? Let me show you:

"The Shelby Ford Expedition model will offer dynamically designed exterior body accents, graphics and ground-effects, enhanced interior styling and electronics package, high-performance tires mounted to the latest state of the art custom wheels, suspension and handling upgrades, and all driven by a Shelby tuned high performance engine package."

It's summed up really well in this sentence:

"This new Shelby SUV will provide a number of performance, handling and styling upgrades over the standard Ford Expedition model."

This describes exactly what we've been talking about. And what else does the story say? This:

"The Expedition is the first in a series of products and concepts we have on the drawing board," says company CEO Carroll Shelby. "Many of these concepts include new sports cars, pickups, and some exotic automotive products that we know will surprise and excite enthusiasts worldwide."

Spring of 2005 would give them enough time to tune the engine and handling of the car. Everything else is a cake walk.
Hopefully you and I are not building ourselves up for a fall but I REALLY think we're right on the mark here.

Engine performance package = standard 4.6L 3-valve with better intake and higher compression = easy stuff

The lead time for such a project will be pretty short IMO since, as you said, there is just suspension/brake testing to be done. All the testing for the 05 has already been done.

Plus, by the spring of 05, Ford will know of any major problems with the base car.

BTW, your summed up sentence is right on the mark.
Old 8/17/04, 12:51 PM
Cobra R Member

You guys are getting me all excited. <3
Old 8/17/04, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Worst Tease Ever...
Old 8/17/04, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

I need a diaper when reading some of these posts.
Old 8/18/04, 06:57 AM
GT Member

I found this over at the "other" forums. Posted by jakef2003

Re: Some pics from the desert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy: Thanks. I have a few more pics I'll get online soon. Better one's of the Imp and GP's, some H3 pics, Better Fusion pics, and what looks likes several 2005 Mustang's @ Shelby's shop in Vegas. Thing's are busy for me right now, but I will get them online ASAP.

So he's got pics of several Mustangs at Shelby's shop in Vegas. Woot!

Here's a link to the thread link

He's supposed to post them soon.
Old 8/18/04, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Futura concept?
Old 8/18/04, 08:36 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by PaperTarget@August 18, 2004, 9:00 AM
I found this over at the "other" forums. Posted by jakef2003

Re: Some pics from the desert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy: Thanks. I have a few more pics I'll get online soon. Better one's of the Imp and GP's, some H3 pics, Better Fusion pics, and what looks likes several 2005 Mustang's @ Shelby's shop in Vegas. Thing's are busy for me right now, but I will get them online ASAP.

So he's got pics of several Mustangs at Shelby's shop in Vegas. Woot!

Here's a link to the thread link

He's supposed to post them soon.
I'm a member over there. I posted a reply asking him to post those pics. Hummm....things are getting interesting.
Old 8/18/04, 10:05 AM
GT Member

Yeah, I've seen you post there. Obviously I'm a member there too (same name).
Old 8/18/04, 10:57 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by PaperTarget@August 18, 2004, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I've seen you post there. Obviously I'm a member there too (same name).
Hehe....I definately knew you're a member over there. Always enjoyed your posts very much. Good job sticking up for the blue oval. I wasn't sure if you noticed my occasional posts though.
Old 8/18/04, 12:00 PM
GT Member

I try to be as reasonable as possible over there. You have to when it's 1000 foaming at the mouth Camaro lovers for every 1 Mustang guy who happens to appreciate good cars regardless of brand. I've seen your support from time to time and it's appreciated.

BTW rm2000, those are pics of the Ford Fusion (formerly Futura). Looks like it's going to be a very nice car. There's a Mazda 6 version of it coming out soon that is supposed to have a 280 hp turbo'd AWD setup. Quite possibly the SVT version will be this vehicle in their own format and maybe a tad better