2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Removing the front fender liner

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/06, 10:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the front fender liner

Hi, I'm having some trouble removing the front fender liners in the wheel well. The plastic fasteners Ford uses are really cheap and I've stripped them. Any suggestions on how to remove them? Is it ok to just tug really hard at the fender liner to get the plastic fastener to pop out? Any tools you guys suggest I use? Also, where can I buy replacement plastic fasteners? Thanks!
Old 5/25/06, 01:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hpaddict
Hi, I'm having some trouble removing the front fender liners in the wheel well. The plastic fasteners Ford uses are really cheap and I've stripped them. Any suggestions on how to remove them? Is it ok to just tug really hard at the fender liner to get the plastic fastener to pop out? Any tools you guys suggest I use? Also, where can I buy replacement plastic fasteners? Thanks!
Cut`em off with wire cutters. Home Depot
Old 5/25/06, 07:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hpaddict
If you hold the outer part of the fastener (I just used my fingers) while removing the screw portion you should have no problem. I have removed the right side on two occasions with no issues. Hope this helps.
Old 5/25/06, 04:39 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
the 'screws' dont actually tighten up in there- as long as theyre 'in' the plug is expanded. be sure to wash out behind your headlights while youre in there- mine only had 300 miles on it when I pulled the fenders/fenderwells/rockers/door panels to undercoat with bedliner, and behind the headlights was really filthy...dirt/gravel...

met a guy at a swapmeet, his site is http://www.justclips20m.com/
hes got every fastener Ive ever seen except the hidden rocker clips- ford dont even sell those, they only come on the rocker for some reason...
Old 5/26/06, 10:43 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went to the justclips website, and I was wondering how to locate the fasteners for the fender liner. Is it on the website somewhere, or should I just call the guy up?
Old 5/26/06, 12:36 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine at the dealership when I broke a couple
Old 9/26/09, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

2005 GT inner fender liner removal /install pdf?

I'm missing the drivers side plastic fastener and having trouble getting the passenger side out. Do we have the graphic of the removal somewhere on the site?

Mike E
Old 9/26/09, 02:10 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I didnt take any pics- but the clip is kinda like a expanding drywall anchor...the center 'screw' just needs pulled out about 1/4 inch to allow the inside part to collapse enough to pull it out. the 'screws' 'strip' as they arent really threaded...kinda a thread to them, but you can just push them back in with thumb pressure- the 'threads' are more to help in pulling them out- just do not push on the screwdriver, twist gently ccw and they will lift enough to pull them loose about 1/4", then pull the outer part out.

for a better graphic, go pop your hood, look at the fasteners on the radiator cover: pull the center up with a fingernail till its loose, then pull the whole thing out- tthe ones in the fenderwells are the same except they dont have the notches for pulling the centers, instead have a phillips screw head...guessing so in case you run over something it would be less likely to snag the pin.

BTW- a groundhog will remove the clips quite easily...poor thing wont do that again, but broke my lower valance and pulled the clips out of the fenderwell...interesting thing- knocked my lower grill almost out(one clip on pass side still held) but the SHR grille inserts stayed put- I was impressed
Old 10/3/09, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer bag of 10 or 12 was like 5 bucks.
Old 10/4/09, 10:04 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
exactly
Old 10/6/09, 11:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Northpark ford and they were like $4 each.

I bought a box of em 25 of em off FleaBay for $10.

Just use a philips screwdriver and back out the center then use a the flat screwdriver to pry them out.

If you have an 05+ there is a front and a back liner in there. Its two pieces. I know....I just replaced mine.
Old 1/3/10, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Barricade
Northpark ford and they were like $4 each.

I bought a box of em 25 of em off FleaBay for $10.

Just use a philips screwdriver and back out the center then use a the flat screwdriver to pry them out.

If you have an 05+ there is a front and a back liner in there. Its two pieces. I know....I just replaced mine.
would you happen to have the part numbers for the pieces?
I need to replace the driver and passenger front fender liners.
Old 1/3/10, 05:48 AM
Cobra R Member

I wrote them down but have since tossed them. Just call a dealership parts counter.
they can give you the part numbers. Do you need both the front of the well and the back?
There are two per well.

They are over $50 each and the GT model is different than the V6.

I drove the car without the front fascia and the wind pushed the well back into the tire
and they melted right through. My being stupid costs me well over $100.