2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Starter questions

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/09, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter questions

I am looking to get a remote starter for my car. A couple quesions for those who have gotten them. First off I got the "Safety and Security" package with my car. In the manual it says you need to get a Ford installed remote starter due to the security system in the car. Does anyone know if this is true? I have gotten mixed results asking around.

Second quesion is which starter to go with and where to get it installed. I went to Best Buy yesterday and they told me it would be around $350 for the setup. They had several models of starters to choose from and I did not know the difference between them.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 1/9/09, 09:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ford's remote gives you a seperate "Start" remote. It is not programmed with the factory alarm. I have installed VIPER and HORNET remote systems in my cars, have eliminated the factory remotes (F150, 93 Mustang, 95 Mystique) and programmed the Factory remotes in place of the aftermarket ones (08 Fusion, 08 Escape). 350.00 is not a bad price...if all features as installed (lock/unlock, alarm, 500-1000ft start, lights on at start, etc). Shop around...I've seen "holiday sales" for 299.00 complete..installed.
Old 1/12/09, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

I use to work for best buy, and 350.00 isnt bad just as long as it includes the bypass modules you will need for the factory transponder system. Also they have basic ones which just do remote start and no lock/unlock so make sure you ask for one that does your locks too or you will have two remotes. As far as the best deals look around, but keep in mind that best buy is insured so if something does go wrong they will fix anything (I have seen claims of cars catching fire and them paying out, even though it was never proven it was their fault). Just something to keep in mind.
Old 1/12/09, 01:11 PM
Cobra Member

are they able to install a remote start system for a manual car? it would suck that you would have to use the E brake constantly and keep it in neutral.
Old 1/12/09, 01:37 PM
V6 Member

It depends on the installer, its usually a liability issue when it comes to that. I know if you want it done properly you would probably have to buy a neutral safety module and have that installed along with it, but check with the installer. Thats why you would want that module just in case you left it in gear you dont want your stang ending up in your living room or worse hurting somebody.
Old 1/12/09, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

yea, it sucks cause all my buddies in the winter time have there remote starters going and i got to run out to the car and freeze my *** to start it! lol. i will check on it though, i rather it be done the right way and safe way or i wont do it at all and just deal with it.
Old 1/12/09, 05:27 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by classix_stang289
are they able to install a remote start system for a manual car? it would suck that you would have to use the E brake constantly and keep it in neutral.
yes they do make them. Most of them that I have seen have you install sensors on the e-brake, along with the brake pedal. And you need to "program" the starter each and every time you shut off the car.
For instance, you need to have the car running, set the e-brake, take the car out of gear, release the clutch and finally shut the car off via the key. Now, if you should happen to touch the brake pedal, the starter wont start the car, as it doesnt know if other safety setting were tripped.

Seeing that you need to "program" the starter, you couldnt just pull into your friends driveway, get out and later decide you want to start the car.... As you didnt set the safety features...

Doing it a couple times, it would become habit.

As for setting the brake ALL the time..... I have, until this car, not used the e-brake at all. I just left it in gear.. but im breaking that habit.
Old 1/12/09, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

my problem is i always leave the car in gear, and rarely use the e-brake. i trust the gear much better to hold the car rather than a cable, thats why i do that lol. i think i might pass on this mod. EVEN MY DAILY BEATER IS A 5sp!!!! lol.
Old 1/12/09, 07:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the ford remote starter. First off I wanted only one key fob, 2ed I wanted to make sure it would work with out any hitches ( ie car catching fire???wtf?).3rd, I rolled it into my loan when I bought the car.. it ran about $450 Installed. And it is covered by my extended warranty because it was installed by the dealer.