2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Remote starter, cool stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/06, 09:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remote starter, cool stuff

Dealer just installed the remote starter, something those of us in the colder climates tend to enjoy.
But aside from the obvious of remotely starting your car, there are some other neat features with it.
Activating the headlights: this comes in handy when in a dark area.

Activating the rear window defroster: Not only can you warm the car and clear the frost off the front window ( if you preset the defroster before getting out the night before) but clear the rear window also, all from the comfort of your home.

The quick stop mode: When you want to keep the car running for a few minuets with out having some kid drive off with your car by leaving your keys in it.

There's some other things in the book not related to Mustangs, but will try them out any ways.
Old 10/11/06, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds awesome. Did you already have the factory anit theft option? If you do did the kit provide the new key fob's?? How much did it cost you including install?
Old 10/11/06, 10:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes, I have the Anti theft, and yes new fobs and had to turn in my old keys, cost something like $475 installed, had it added in on the original purchase and rolled into the loan. System will also work if you don't have the anti theft but will interface with it if you do. Dont think aftermarket remotes will work, something with the security systems. Had an aftermarket one on my old Monte Carlo, had to have it again but that was only about $200 installed.
Old 10/11/06, 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

475 seems a bit pricey. How much was the actual install and how much was the remote start system??
Old 10/11/06, 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

factory alarm is not worth the money.

For the same price you could get a Viper or Compustar alarm, with 2way paging and 1 mile range.

I opted for after market on my 07. Plus if you have stick, i don't think you can get factory remote start. But aftermarket is no probs.

I have a compustar with 2 way paging, remote start. And proximity.
If someone looks into any window, my baby pages me.
Not to mention 2 stage shock sensors, with warn away.

Ther is no way factory alarms even come close to this.
Old 10/12/06, 12:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm happy with the factory alarm as it's something that adds an extra hurdle to someone attempting to steal the car. It has motion sensors that detect tampering with the doors,windows,trunk,hood and even sense any inclination change to prevent tow away thefts. The motor is disabled if any of the above happens. Regardless of your alarm if they want to steal it they well. Since it was already on the car I wanted I went with it.

BTW what's with all the nay sayers lately?? Seems like every thread lately someone has to jump in and bad mouth what someone else has. Why all the negative comments?? The thread isn't about wether or not the factory alarm is crap or not.
Pls.
Old 10/12/06, 02:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree. The extra security is nice to have, regardless of what system you use. But bottom line, If someone want's to steal something bad enough, it'll be gone no matter what you have!
Old 10/12/06, 10:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
475 seems a bit pricey. How much was the actual install and how much was the remote start system??

They did not break it down, just installed price.

Sorry can't put remote start on manual, if in gear car would move when trying to start. safety feature.

Another feature found today. First ( I knew this part ) if you step on the break the engine dies, anti theft. but if you open the hood the engine dies also.
Old 10/12/06, 11:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CannonBaller
factory alarm is not worth the money.

For the same price you could get a Viper or Compustar alarm, with 2way paging and 1 mile range.

I opted for after market on my 07. Plus if you have stick, i don't think you can get factory remote start. But aftermarket is no probs.

I have a compustar with 2 way paging, remote start. And proximity.
If someone looks into any window, my baby pages me.
Not to mention 2 stage shock sensors, with warn away.

Ther is no way factory alarms even come close to this.
I actually heard that the install on the viper is like 500 bucks not including the system itself. On top of that you have to get other parts if you want like the trunk pop.
Old 10/12/06, 11:22 PM

just had installed the Shelby 750R alarms with remote start, prosimity sensor ect.

I love it!
Old 10/13/06, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dougxox
They did not break it down, just installed price.

Sorry can't put remote start on manual, if in gear car would move when trying to start. safety feature.

Another feature found today. First ( I knew this part ) if you step on the break the engine dies, anti theft. but if you open the hood the engine dies also.

Compustar and UltraStart both make remote start systems for manual transmission vehicles. But if you meant factory remote start, then no, I don't think Ford has a manual version yet. Probably never will.