2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Reliability issues with Convertible Top?

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/10, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Reliability issues with Convertible Top?

Greetings,
I'm coming up on the end of my standard warranty on my 08 GT/CS Vert and want to know if any of you fellow vert owners have had any issues with the operation of your top.

I don't want to purchase an extended warranty, but I'm concerned with the costs to fix the top, should something go wrong.

Care to chime in, good or bad, how old is your car, mileage, usage, etc.

Thanks
LJS
Old 9/9/10, 12:08 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR-STANG
Greetings,
I'm coming up on the end of my standard warranty on my 08 GT/CS Vert and want to know if any of you fellow vert owners have had any issues with the operation of your top.

I don't want to purchase an extended warranty, but I'm concerned with the costs to fix the top, should something go wrong.

Care to chime in, good or bad, how old is your car, mileage, usage, etc.

Thanks
LJS
There is a TSB for the top with respect to a wear issue caused by a pinch point in the mechanism. I don't know if it applies to the 08's and newer though.
Old 9/9/10, 12:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
There is a TSB for the top with respect to a wear issue caused by a pinch point in the mechanism. I don't know if it applies to the 08's and newer though.
I had my cloth top replaced about 2 weeks before my warranty expired due to the "V shaped" wear marks above the doors. My car is not a DD and only had ~6.8K on it when they replaced it, but my car is rarely driven with the top up. I am still noticing some wrinkles that appear after the top is dropped right behind the rear windows, but I can live with it. But we will see how it lasts and wears over the next couple years.
Old 9/9/10, 01:00 PM
GT Member

I have a 2008 vert and no issues to date, and the top is mostly down in the summer. I drive with the top up and the windows down at highway speeds with no ill effect. It's the cloth top which I use Jeep Mopar top cleaning and waterproofing solutions. Once I spray the top with the waterproofer water just beads off and it lasts. I've looked over the top carefully and it's still sound. I have 18,000 on the clock.
Old 9/10/10, 10:58 AM
Pov

No mecahnical issues with my 2008, but the fabric (cloth) shows an unusually high amount of wear marking (light spots), IMHO, given that the car only has about 7K miles on it. I see similar issues, to either a larger or smaller degree, on lots of other verts with cloth tops, both stangs and other cars.

Was thinking about talking to the dealer about that next time I take the car in.
Old 9/11/10, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Mine is an '06 with over 75K miles. The top is almost always down from April through November. That means, of course, it is up and down a lot.

No problems with the mechanism. I did have the top replaced under the TSB mentioned before just before 36k miles. I had actually developed the small holes. No problems with that since the top was replaced.
Old 9/17/10, 01:33 PM

My 2008 GT/CS had the top replaced earlier this year for cracking of drip rails it had about 35K miles on it at the time. Functionally the top was fine but was worried about what the top would look like in 2 years so I had it replaced. The car is out in the weather all the time, its my DD. Hope this helps!
Old 9/17/10, 01:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
i had a situation on my 05 where the headliner would get caught on the corner of the back seat when i put the top down. i think it had come loose from the top and was a little low.
Old 9/17/10, 02:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
I have a 2008 vert and no issues to date, and the top is mostly down in the summer. I drive with the top up and the windows down at highway speeds with no ill effect. It's the cloth top which I use Jeep Mopar top cleaning and waterproofing solutions. Once I spray the top with the waterproofer water just beads off and it lasts. I've looked over the top carefully and it's still sound. I have 18,000 on the clock.
+1 for treating the top regularly.
Old 9/21/10, 07:44 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
No issues with mine, but my 06 only has 11K and it sleep in a garage.